A little rant about Gore

53 messages Options
ka2kci ka2kci
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: A little rant about Gore

I also share your concerns about lift closures at Gore during the mid week periods. I also am not fond of the glades opening up late and closing early due to lack of ski patrol during the mid week periods. Despite this I still love Gore and really like having nobody there during weekdays.  I have found the staff dedicated and friendly and can’t blame them for management decisions.  Despite all of Gore’s shortcomings, it is an awesome mountain with many hidden treasures.  It is a place stuck in time that I call home. On more than one occasion I have had ski patrol open an untracked glade and offered me first tracks. That goes a long way in my book!!
Matt
louie.mirags louie.mirags
Reply |

Benny, you seem angry. Skiing is supposed to be fun.  If you dislike Gore and Belle so much, go to killington.
x10003q x10003q
Reply |

In reply to this post by ka2kci
What a sad and disappointing thread.

ORDA continues to be a marketing disaster. Gore is no longer an undeveloped, big potential area. It is a big time ski area with multi-millions spent on lifts and facilities and it STILL runs about 60% mid week with empty slopes. Does anybody ever have to answer for the failure to generate more than the roughly 200k visits per year that we have seen since 2000? All this expansion was going to increase visits which would in turn increase tax revenue and  increase the number of jobs in the North Creek area.

I guess ORDA  believes that " if you build it and they will come" was a true story? Sadly, the lack of marketing and advertisement for skiing at Gore leads us from a 2011 thread about Gore failing to open up terrain mid-week to today, 7 years later, still discussing the failure to open up terrain mid-week.

What an embarrassment.

Milo Maltbie Milo Maltbie
Reply |

The problem with Gore is that it is way more horizontal than vertical. All those different little pods have a lot of great terrain but they need to maintain too many connecting traverses and lifts to keep it all going all the time.  That's what leads to all the other problems, like mid-week lift closures and limited access early in the season and in the Spring to the Straightbrook/High Peaks area.

OTOH all those traverses keep the snowboarders away and makes it easy to avoid crowds when the lifts are in full operation.  That's really what the regulars like about Gore.

mm
Marcski Marcski
Reply |

In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
I could rant about the fact that Plattekill only had two ways down the mountain for Christmas week, and no tubing park while the other three Catskill resorts had all main mountain areas operational. But I chose not to.
There may have only been 2 OPEN ways down during Christmas week, but there were many, mostly untracked, ways down if you looked.

This was taken the 29th:

Like you, I try not to rant or complain too much. But, I do find similarities to both Sno's and Benny's whining. Just sayin'!

Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
You're right. And I think I qualify as a regular.

IMO Gore is a contender for most interesting mountain in NY.

They say that the magic of a tiny house is that you can capture the entire structure in your imagination, all at once.

Gore is the opposite.  It's impossible to capture the whole thing in your mind.  There's always another aspect. Traverses are part of it.

When you get a big pow day, or even when the mountain is 100% open, you can look at your ski partner with wide eyes and say...

"WHERE NEXT?!?"

And you can do that all day long.

Often these days when one lift isn't running you can ski through to another, and that snow has seen a lot less traffic.

Watch what you wish for, Gore ROCKS!

As tBatt said...
"I'm all about Clouding Out. I'm a teleskier now!" —tBatt
Milo Maltbie Milo Maltbie
Reply |

Harvey wrote
You're right. And I think I qualify as a regular.

IMO Gore is a contender for most interesting mountain in NY.
I agree.  The only unfortunate part is that terrain opens up slowly in the early season, and the top closes early in the Spring.  What makes it great mid-winter is what ruins early and late seasons.

mm
Benny Profane Benny Profane
Reply |

Milo Maltbie wrote
The problem with Gore is that it is way more horizontal than vertical. All those different little pods have a lot of great terrain but they need to maintain too many connecting traverses and lifts to keep it all going all the time.  That's what leads to all the other problems, like mid-week lift closures and limited access early in the season and in the Spring to the Straightbrook/High Peaks area.

OTOH all those traverses keep the snowboarders away and makes it easy to avoid crowds when the lifts are in full operation.  That's really what the regulars like about Gore.

mm
Not an excuse. Killington is very spread out, but they manage to keep all of those various mountains running midweek, if there's snow. Plenty of traverses. And, I snowboard, too, learned to ride there, so, I can tell you about traversing.

Simple marketing tool that will get people on that hill - midweek specials and discounts. I mean, major duh. But, keep the chairs turning.
funny like a clown
Ethan Snow Ethan Snow
Reply |

Snoloco told me that Pratt was pretty good about keeping as much open as possible during the week, at least in recent years. Can't speak for 2011 as I didn't ski Gore much back then.

Is it possible that the new GM doesn't know what he's dealing with here, and that it's very uncool to cut corners mid-week?

I agree, Gore is probably the most interesting mountain in NY. I continue to go there more often because it just gets more interesting every time I ski there. It's really probably the best place for tree skiing At least in NY state.
At just about any point in my life, I can look back on where I was a year ago, and say to myself, "Shit, what was I thinking?"
TomCat TomCat
Reply |

I actually think mid week is better than it was years ago. 5-7 years ago darkside and north were almost always closed Monday-Thursday. With the topridge trail closed I would rather the darkside chair running than Topridge. The topridge chair doesn't provide any additional terrain to ski.

But it is frustrating when areas are closed especially when I go up for a few days. I do agree with Benny that having areas closed means people that can choose will choose elsewhere. Weekday tickets at the window aren't even much cheaper than weekends.

tom