A little rant about Gore

57 messages Options
Ethan Snow Ethan Snow
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: A little rant about Gore

Benny Profane wrote
I see that you aren't much of a tree skier. Maybe someday you will be, and understand why that chair is vital. Maybe not this week, but, when it snows........
Please explain why it is "vital"

Actually most of my runs yesterday were in the trees Rick. Plenty of poaching involved as well. All the glades I skied were off Straight Brook, High Peaks, and there were some awesome trees in Burnt Ridge. But you refuse to traverse in there.  AFAIK there are no glades to speak of in the Topridge chair specifically.  With the exception of High Pines "Glade" which is just the lift line, and doesn't hold snow well because it faces due South. I guess there a few glades off the top of the gondola near Pine Knot, that would be hard to lap. I just think it's silly when that chair is running, and servicing really no terrain that can be lapped easily. But I could be wrong.

Do you know where this is?

At just about any point in my life, I can look back on where I was a year ago, and say to myself, "Shit, what was I thinking?"
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by TomCat
Mike was very aware of this ongoing narrative.

One day a few years ago, he snagged me and said...

"hey did you see - 18 straight days we ran the High Peaks."
"I'm all about Clouding Out. I'm a teleskier now!" —tBatt
Milo Maltbie Milo Maltbie
Reply |

In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
Do you really want to be talking about that in a public forum? There is no point in attracting the attention of the authorities.

mm
Ethan Snow Ethan Snow
Reply |

Milo Maltbie wrote
Do you really want to be talking about that in a public forum? There is no point in attracting the attention of the authorities.
LOL, Harv, what do you think? should we get rid of that pic? That has to be the most awesome glade at Gore. Wonder who cleared it out.
At just about any point in my life, I can look back on where I was a year ago, and say to myself, "Shit, what was I thinking?"
Benny Profane Benny Profane
Reply |

How old are you?
funny like a clown
Ethan Snow Ethan Snow
Reply |

If you're asking me, I'm 20. 21 in early March. The forum used to list our age under our profile.

Why?
Saratogahalfday Saratogahalfday
Reply |

In reply to this post by Benny Profane
You lost me at too cold to ski.  Are you from Jersey?

Gore has staffing issues mid-week, and will forever unless a legitimate town or resort appears out of thin air.  Many mountains rely on foreign students, from the southern hemisphere, to work full-time during the heart of the winter to teach lessons, run the lifts, ect.  Gore will never attract them.  

I think you're better off at Killington for mid-week skiing.  As for moving to my town, good luck with that.  It will literally cost you an arm and a leg.
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

Gee, I wonder how a mountain could attract workers? If only there was some way to entice more people to work there. Perhaps there is something they could offer that would allow people to pay their bills and live in the town ORDA is supposed to be supporting. What is that thing called?

Strange how "foreign students" is the solution to that problem instead of: offer a good wage that people can live on.

If they want good workers, they have to pay actual money and treat workers well. If they're okay with workers that work for cheap (but might be flaky) and management that works for cheap (but doesn't care enough to open mountain areas), then there is not much that we can do about it.
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

In reply to this post by Saratogahalfday
Saratogahalfday wrote
It will literally cost you an arm and a leg.
Also, I'm not sure you know what the word "literally" means.
NorEaster27 NorEaster27
Reply |

In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Where is Snoopy shoot?