57 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A little rant about Gore

Ethan Snow
This post was updated on .
Benny Profane wrote
I see that you aren't much of a tree skier. Maybe someday you will be, and understand why that chair is vital. Maybe not this week, but, when it snows........
Please explain why it is "vital"

Actually most of my runs yesterday were in the trees Rick. Plenty of poaching involved as well. All the glades I skied were off Straight Brook, High Peaks, and there were some awesome trees in Burnt Ridge. But you refuse to traverse in there.  AFAIK there are no glades to speak of in the Topridge chair specifically.  With the exception of High Pines "Glade" which is just the lift line, and doesn't hold snow well because it faces due South. I guess there a few glades off the top of the gondola near Pine Knot, that would be hard to lap. I just think it's silly when that chair is running, and servicing really no terrain that can be lapped easily. But I could be wrong.

Do you know where this is?

I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by TomCat
Mike was very aware of this ongoing narrative.

One day a few years ago, he snagged me and said...

"hey did you see - 18 straight days we ran the High Peaks."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
Do you really want to be talking about that in a public forum? There is no point in attracting the attention of the authorities.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Milo Maltbie wrote
Do you really want to be talking about that in a public forum? There is no point in attracting the attention of the authorities.
LOL, Harv, what do you think? should we get rid of that pic? That has to be the most awesome glade at Gore. Wonder who cleared it out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
How old are you?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
If you're asking me, I'm 20. 21 in early March. The forum used to list our age under our profile.

Why?
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
You lost me at too cold to ski.  Are you from Jersey?

Gore has staffing issues mid-week, and will forever unless a legitimate town or resort appears out of thin air.  Many mountains rely on foreign students, from the southern hemisphere, to work full-time during the heart of the winter to teach lessons, run the lifts, ect.  Gore will never attract them.  

I think you're better off at Killington for mid-week skiing.  As for moving to my town, good luck with that.  It will literally cost you an arm and a leg.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Gee, I wonder how a mountain could attract workers? If only there was some way to entice more people to work there. Perhaps there is something they could offer that would allow people to pay their bills and live in the town ORDA is supposed to be supporting. What is that thing called?

Strange how "foreign students" is the solution to that problem instead of: offer a good wage that people can live on.

If they want good workers, they have to pay actual money and treat workers well. If they're okay with workers that work for cheap (but might be flaky) and management that works for cheap (but doesn't care enough to open mountain areas), then there is not much that we can do about it.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Saratogahalfday
Saratogahalfday wrote
It will literally cost you an arm and a leg.
Also, I'm not sure you know what the word "literally" means.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Where is Snoopy shoot?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
NorEaster27 wrote
Where is Snoopy shoot?
Classified info, bud. Get a friend to show you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
If they want good workers, they have to pay actual money and treat workers well. If they're okay with workers that work for cheap (but might be flaky) and management that works for cheap (but doesn't care enough to open mountain areas), then there is not much that we can do about it.
Usually state run facilities are pay pretty well, and offer good benefits. At least for Full-time employees that is. ORDA is state run, right? I've met a few of the people in the maintenance department, and they seem like great people. It honestly makes me want their job. As long as I can afford to eat that is. I think Gore is run by mostly locals. Someone I met in Chestertown at Dynamite hill once told me that Gore won't even look at your resume if your not a local.

I know the guy who built the new bridge at Belleayre.  The commute from his house/shop was well over an hour, but he wanted that job because it was a state job, and he figured he could bid high, and still have a chance of getting it. Sure enough, he was the lowest bidder. He seemed excited about the job because he knew he would be paid well, and on time. Now he's taking three month's off from work.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Ethan Snow wrote
. It honestly makes me want their job. As long as I can afford to eat that is. . .
Yep. Gotta eat. Some people do well with the state, some don't.

They have good employees, and they lost a lot of good employees. I'll leave it there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I think working at a ski area in general is going to be a compromise. Its jut a tough business to be in. I used to work at Plattekill and most days I loved it, but some days it totally sucked and the pay was not good. In many ways I really wish I still worked there. It was just a fun and unique experience. Most of the time. The hour commute is really what made it impractical for me.

If I could ever find a year round job at a ski area in the maintenance department that put a roof over my head and food on the table I'd jump all over it.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Matt and I often disagree on things but he is spot on on this topic.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Ethan Snow wrote
If you're asking me, I'm 20. 21 in early March. The forum used to list our age under our profile.

Why?
Ethan Snow wrote

Why?

Thanks. You'll learn. It takes a while.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Saratogahalfday
Saratogahalfday wrote
You lost me at too cold to ski.  Are you from Jersey?

Gore has staffing issues mid-week, and will forever unless a legitimate town or resort appears out of thin air.  Many mountains rely on foreign students, from the southern hemisphere, to work full-time during the heart of the winter to teach lessons, run the lifts, ect.  Gore will never attract them.  

I think you're better off at Killington for mid-week skiing.  As for moving to my town, good luck with that.  It will literally cost you an arm and a leg.

Wait. What?

Listen, this is really dumb. I always thought that the whole purpose of state funded recreational facilities upstate was not only a way to provide downstaters with affordable ways to experience upstate, but also economic stimulus for down and out upstate towns and regions that have seen the best times a long time ago (if they ever really happened, but, we won't go there now). So, simply, why not just put the call out to the local communities that Gore is hiring? Isn't that the whole point? Jobs! Ok, maybe seasonal, but, still. I drive through Warrensburg. That's not an economically dynamic place, to put it mildly. I'm pretty sure some could use some extra cash in the winter, maybe, even, with some benefits attached. Don't tell me that ORDA is concerned about labor costs as per net profit, because, c'mon, in the end, they ain't making no profit. So spread that butter. That's the point! Win, win! If you're going to play that game, make everyone happy. Make Benny happy and turn the lifts, so he drives up and spends cash outside the mountain (in economic terms, it's called the multiplier effect. Google it), and the locals have some income, so they contribute to the multiplier effect. Stimulus! But, you know, Benny ain't coming back to contribute to the multiplier effect until some people get their shit together and figure this basic stuff out. Sad.

And, son, don't tell me about "your town". I lived there for three years, right on Broadway, and, yeah, I know cold, too. But, you're right. I am better off at Killington midweek. Your loss. You know why? Because, if you continue with that attitude, maybe Saratoga will be Glen's Falls someday, full of bitter, jobless people rejecting the world. Then where will you be?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by NorEaster27
NorEaster27 wrote
Where is Snoopy shoot?

A better question is who is the child who named it that.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Don't let anyone discourage you about what you want to do Ethan. You are a go getter - hard workin CNY country boy. You will be successful no matter where you choose to land a job.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
NorEaster27 wrote
Where is Snoopy shoot?

A better question is who is the child who named it that.
I actually know how it was named and who named it, sort of. But these things should not be discussed on the innernets.  Maybe if you buy me a beer I'll tell you, or maybe even show you the entrance.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi