258 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BC Conditions

Adk Jeff
PeeTex wrote
The route down is apparent, the approach - not so. The best approach seems to be crossing the private land to get there and from what I have been told, the people who lease it are not too cooperative. The alternate involves a lot of bush whacking. It has been several years since I have attempted it so the approach may be much more apparent now if there is one or even if we are discussing the same stash.
Just pm'd you a link to a TR & route description.  Let me know if that helps...
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
I packed out a spot to stand on but when I tried to stand off my ski I sank up to my crotch. Finally got skins off.
HA!  You have to take your skis off to take your skins off!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
ScottyJack wrote
PeeTex wrote
I packed out a spot to stand on but when I tried to stand off my ski I sank up to my crotch. Finally got skins off.
HA!  You have to take your skis off to take your skins off!!  
Too old and fat I guess
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
Just pm'd you a link to a TR & route description.  Let me know if that helps...
Thanks for the PM, you've got the spot. I have corresponded with the author of that report and given his description, the approach is what I feared. He took the ridge and the established hiking trail back which would not be my plan. This is why I have stuck with the standbys but that one is much less driving. Maybe some day I have a full day to commit to this one.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Too old and fat I guess

oh come on man, I was just hacking on ya.  Now I feel bad.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
ScottyJack wrote
PeeTex wrote
Too old and fat I guess

oh come on man, I was just hacking on ya.  Now I feel bad.
You, feel bad, pish.
Anyway, it's true- I have lost the flexibility I use to have.
Here is a shot just for you

After skinning up a low angle glade that has not been skiied since The dumps of December I took off the skins and went for a ride. A good 2' cover with an icey layer about 18" down. The snow pack in this N facing glade shows signs that a higher angle slope would be unstable as hell. The snow is deeply faceted and fractures easily.

Anyway, this glade is short and sweet, 8 or so gentle turns that finish in a nice pitch.

Today it was straight line & guide to the pitch an two easy turns, all Slomo.

A couple of laps before lunch then out.
Reply | Threaded
|

midatlantico
The Wright Trail skied great on Saturday late afternoon after the flakes had been falling for a few hours.  Fast but packed powder with no bare spots and just a little bit of ice at the intersection back onto the hiking trail.

Yesterday's sun baking plus today's deep freeze will probably harden up to crampon-like almost anywhere above treeline.  Heading to Algonquin and will report back.
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
Man, the High Peaks were awesome today. Sun softened things up nicely, felt like spring out there. Hopefully many more days like this to come.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The condition of our snow at 1900 in North River.

A slight but skiable (?) crust in sunny or windy spots.

Sheltered areas ski silently. Still the creamiest part of the cheese is right on top.

Nordic it's a dream. For really crankin in the woods you might have to be a good skier to manage the transitions, or it might be pure sweetness. Can't tell on nordic skis.

Have you seen the guy on TGR who is bc riding without bindings?  That is unreal.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I'm not back on skis yet but got out on Snow shoes for a long hike. A bit crusty here and there. Decided to go exploring and broke trail in a few spots, A very breakable crust with snow that compressed 6 to 8 inches. Would be a bit tricky to ski. I think waiting for it to corn up will be the key.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
thank you peetex. you answered my question. was debating whether to go out.  wound up cross country skiing in the woods behind my house. albany area, i knew that would be crusty
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
Paid a visit to my favorite semi-local slide for a couple hours today. Weird crust in the morning, then the sun came out and melted it away, exposing some nice, creamy snow. Looks from the forecast like corn season will be upon us in short order.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by sig
sig wrote
thank you peetex. you answered my question. was debating whether to go out.  wound up cross country skiing in the woods behind my house. albany area, i knew that would be crusty
 You could have found nice snow on the right aspects. Wrong ones have a crust. The right ones still hold snow without a crust.

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I was out again yesterday, the snow that fell Sat night helped to soften the light crust that was in the top layer. Yes, there are places where the crust never formed but there are plenty of N facing that it did. The encouraging thing though is that corn is forming, the process is apparent and this weeks weather should really help.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Nice TR & photos from skiing Marcy on Tuesday (sadly not me):
Skiing Mt. Marcy for Sunrise
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Thanks for sharing that Jeff. I would love to be doing that now, spring is upon us but this GD injury still has me not able to safely ski. Im only hoping I can catch the end.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Get well soon PeeTex
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The snow that's here in North River would be killer on the right day. Very fresh frozen corn.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
This weekend was pretty good!

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
This is my favorite thread this year. So many sweet pics.
1 ... 3456789 ... 13