Just gonna put this here...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: All Around Mid Fat Full Suspension MTB

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Been reading reviews of the bike all afternoon.  People definitely like it.

I don't know anything about frames but the simplicity of the frame design really appeals to me.

The price seems good, but that is still a lot of money.  Not surprisingly I am most broke at the end of winter.  Not sure how to swing this as this year for some reason I got no tax refund.

Nice job on the video embed, FYI you only need line breaks (<br>) when you have text included with the video.  I removed the extra.  Appreciate you trying too.

EDIT: Correction, I was looking at the cheaper bike, for $2500?

https://www.yt-industries.com/en/detail/index/sArticle/1921
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
My advice may not be the best but I generally don't think too much about spending an amount like that.  I just do it, and then adjust later.

I spent many years of my life living on way more than I needed and thinking I needed more and my most recent ones living on next to nothing, and not feeling I needed anything.  I can't explain how that works, but people adapt.

Now is the time to buy a bike - in spring they'll be more expensive.  Plus fall is pretty much the best riding time.  Get hooked now and you'll be skiing dreaming of riding your bike.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote

That link is jacked, but it doesn't matter.  The 2500 bike is has the same comps (except the tires) but it's an aluminum frame.  I think it's only a pound heavier than the carbon one.  The 29er is heavier than the 27.5, but not enough that I would cry about it.  

Carbon is kind of blessing and a curse.  It's strong, it's light but it's also kind of fragile in certain ways.  And the manufacturing is more variable.  Some bikes are really good, others, time bombs.  Aluminum is a little more reliable these days.  If you can handle the small penalty in heft, it's a lot less investment and less hassle.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Cunningstunts wrote
Harvey wrote

That link is jacked, but it doesn't matter.  
Shit, that link doesn't work for you?  That bites I just used it in an email.

I think I want aluminum and 29.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Harvey wrote
Shit, that link doesn't work for you?  That bites I just used it in an email.

I think I want aluminum and 29.
Does this one work?

https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/1928/sCategory/511

That one takes me to the Jeffsy 29 AL Comp page.

Aluminum and 29 will be good.  Heaviest, but should be the nicest for XC riding.

Edit: I tried that link again, it worked this time and went to the 27 Al Comp page.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Placid Planet always does a fall blow out if ur up in a LP
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
I have a aluminum bike , comes in at 30lb..save me a lot of $
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Cunningstunts wrote
Carbon is kind of blessing and a curse.  It's strong, it's light but it's also kind of fragile in certain ways.  And the manufacturing is more variable.  Some bikes are really good, others, time bombs.
I'm sure I'd buy aluminum, but still very curious to hear more about this.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Harvey wrote
Cunningstunts wrote
Carbon is kind of blessing and a curse.  It's strong, it's light but it's also kind of fragile in certain ways.  And the manufacturing is more variable.  Some bikes are really good, others, time bombs.
Just don't eat for a few days and drop the 2 pound difference between AL and the CF.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Cunningstunts wrote
I guess there's just more variation in carbon manufacturing.  Even good quality companies have defects that cause catastrophic failures.  It can happen with alloy frames, but it seems to be more common with carbon these days.

Also they don't really like sharp impacts.  Falling on rocks, etc... alloy may dent or ding, but rarely cracks.

I went to the darkside with my current bike and every time a rock pops off the frame I cringe a little.  I honestly don't even ride it through super tech trials type sections because one fall and I could damage it - I take my metal bike for that.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I had a carbon Scott Genius..Traded it for a Aluminum..I was able to upgrade my components, with a slight weight penalty.

I love skiing!! but talking about skis just isn't sexy...something about bikes are cool..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
There's a lot more going on with bikes.

I prefer doing over talking, but hey, if it helps someone get into riding, then I'm all for it.

Cold-ass rain today but I need a day off, my legs are smoked.  Think I'll go into the bike shop and do a little work.  Noticed my crank was wobbling yesterday.  Hopefully I just need to adjust the preload.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
JasonWx wrote
I love skiing!! but talking about skis just isn't sexy...something about bikes are cool..
Cunningstunts wrote
There's a lot more going on with bikes.

I prefer doing over talking, but hey, if it helps someone get into riding, then I'm all for it.
I can automatically tune out almost everyone I know when they talk about skis, because they're either selling (as a living) or their abilities don't match their credibility.  If you can't tune the damn ski, you have no business giving an opinion about it.  Imagine talking to a car enthusiast who didn't know how to change the oil?

BTW, Z and HPD are exceptions to this "rule."
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
D.B. Cooper wrote
I can automatically tune out almost everyone I know when they talk about skis, because they're either selling (as a living) or their abilities don't match their credibility.  If you can't tune the damn ski, you have no business giving an opinion about it.  Imagine talking to a car enthusiast who didn't know how to change the oil?

I tune my own skis, build and fix my own bikes, and fix my own cars for the most part.

I don't know that it's because I'm credible or whatever, but I just find it's the best way to keep your equipment in the best shape.

FWIW I don't particularly enjoy house maintenance and repair.  I haven't drunk enough of the HD Koolaid, I guess?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
I can automatically tune out almost everyone I know when they talk about skis, because they're either selling (as a living) or their abilities don't match their credibility.

I don't know for sure, but didn't both of those guys have jobs as factory reps for ski companies? Volkl & Nordica? Are they still reps?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Carbon can be repaired.  Its pretty durable I have had plenty of falls and nothing bad has happened.  
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
D.B. Cooper wrote
I can automatically tune out almost everyone I know when they talk about skis, because they're either selling (as a living) or their abilities don't match their credibility.

I don't know for sure, but didn't both of those guys have jobs as factory reps for ski companies? Volkl & Nordica? Are they still reps?
Being a rep is one thing (I think some don't even get a pay check), having it as your sole source of income is another.  I don't think it's the primary job of either.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Carbon can be repaired.  Its pretty durable I have had plenty of falls and nothing bad has happened.
I broke my carbon seatstay this summer.  Luckily for me, the seat stays on my frame are one "U" shaped tube and the manufacturer gave me a crash replacement on the part since I was the original owner and purchased from an authorized dealer.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
How did you break it?
1 ... 345678