All Around Mid Fat Full Suspension MTB

144 messages Options
123456 ... 15
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: All Around Mid Fat Full Suspension MTB

I agree with Cunning..I ride my 130 travel bike at the park..No issues..Would I like a longer travel and slacker bike sure, but I don't want to rent a beat to shit  rig..

Napa..I'm turning 56 next month , I ride downhill and and any long descents in a full face and full armor..
"Peace and Love"
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |

In reply to this post by nepa
Holy Hard core.  I gave down hilling up, to many bruises to deal with.  Looks like she is diving head first in.  Good on her
nepa nepa
Reply |

In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Napa..I'm turning 56 next month , I ride downhill and and any long descents in a full face and full armor..
Obviously, I don't really know you, but I'm thinking you're far more level headed than my wife, and understand that body-armor won't protect you from breaking your neck or some other spinal trauma.  

I bust her balls relentlessly... It keeps our marriage fresh.  It's philosophical thing for me.  I don't believe that bikes belong on chair-lifts.  I got my first MTB back in 1991 (3rd generation Ritchey Supercomp) before the advent of the squishy revolution. A time when there were no bike parks, and lift-serviced riding didn't exist.  I rode the same rig for almost 15 years.  I'm riding an aging LT trail-bike now, but am moving more towards a less aggressive style of single track enjoyment.  A few months a go, I nearly broke my neck on a solo ride that made me rethink my approach a bit.  I'm a climber more than a descender on any bike.  Putting the bike on a lift would take some of the fun out of it for me.
nepa nepa
Reply |

In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Holy Hard core.  I gave down hilling up, to many bruises to deal with.  Looks like she is diving head first in.  Good on her

I think the same... we've got full disability just in case.
Marcski Marcski
Reply |

In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
Cunningstunts wrote
Marcski wrote
Harvey wrote
Budget was just thrown out there, I kind of made it up.

What do you guys think, would the mid fat tires work for downhill?

Honestly I don't see myself really getting into downhill, but I'd like to try it.
In that case, spend your money on a bike that will match the terrain that you will be riding most of the time and then either use that or even better, rent a DH bike when you do ride DH.  You will be much happier.
Don't necessarily agree with this.  Yeah a DH bike will do better but sometimes those rentals are beat.

A modern trail bike can ride most everything in the average riders ability at park and still kick ass on the XC terrain.  He'll never ride his old bike if he buys a Jeffsy.  It's a "quiver" killer.  Or a one-horse stable if you will.  Unless you want to race XC or DH...
Like I said earlier, I don't DH, but I do ride a 130/120 trail bike and love it.  I would have assumed you could rent a good DH bike though?

Cunningstunts Cunningstunts
Reply |

Marcski wrote
Cunningstunts wrote
Marcski wrote
Harvey wrote
Budget was just thrown out there, I kind of made it up.

What do you guys think, would the mid fat tires work for downhill?

Honestly I don't see myself really getting into downhill, but I'd like to try it.
In that case, spend your money on a bike that will match the terrain that you will be riding most of the time and then either use that or even better, rent a DH bike when you do ride DH.  You will be much happier.
Don't necessarily agree with this.  Yeah a DH bike will do better but sometimes those rentals are beat.

A modern trail bike can ride most everything in the average riders ability at park and still kick ass on the XC terrain.  He'll never ride his old bike if he buys a Jeffsy.  It's a "quiver" killer.  Or a one-horse stable if you will.  Unless you want to race XC or DH...
Like I said earlier, I don't DH, but I do ride a 130/120 trail bike and love it.  I would have assumed you could rent a good DH bike though?
Depends on where I guess.  I always compare them to rental skis.  And most of us would prefer to have our own ;)

A 130/120 bike is on the small end for DH, but still workable.  Depends on what you ride too - you probably won't enjoy double black tech at Whistler on that bike, but for a blue flow trail, you could ride a HT.

The 27 Jeffsy is 150/150.  That's a pretty damn capable bike, on the verge of being an Enduro bike actually.  The nice thing about it is it weighs less than 30lbs, so it's still manageable on XC terrain.  A lot of these bikes now are well into the 30lb range unless you go carbon fiber.  Weight isn't everything, but if you are not just riding lifts, it makes a difference.  Also the suspension layout makes a big difference on how a bike pedals.  The YT is a pretty efficient linkage, so even with that travel, it claims to pedal well.

I'm a Transition fanboi, so if the budget and aim were different, I'd recommend a Smuggler.  It's a bit small for a park bike but doable if you keep it on the mellow stuff.  It's a lot more efficient linkage and only comes in carbon now, thus, not cheap.  But it's probably one of the best all-around bikes out there.  Also if it does come down to warranty or crash replacement, you can't beat Transition.  They really care about their riders.  I know this from personal experience with them.  That's why you pay extra for them though.
nepa nepa
Reply |

Cunningstunts wrote
Also if it does come down to warranty or crash replacement, you can't beat Transition.  They really care about their riders.  I know this from personal experience with them.  That's why you pay extra for them though.
Agree.  When I first moved to the PNW, they were the premiere local boutique builders.  Their volume has skyrocketed over the past 5 years, but the quality and support are still top notch.
Reply |

nepa wrote
Cunningstunts wrote
Also if it does come down to warranty or crash replacement, you can't beat Transition.  They really care about their riders.  I know this from personal experience with them.  That's why you pay extra for them though.
Agree.  When I first moved to the PNW, they were the premiere local boutique builders.  Their volume has skyrocketed over the past 5 years, but the quality and support are still top notch.
They don't have the big R&D bucks like Specialized or Trek, but their bikes are right there in terms of performance.  They like to ride, and they ride the bikes they design.

The other difference is this:  If you buy a Trek and you break the frame, you let the LBS negotiate for you.  If you break your Transition, you call or email them and they deal with you directly.  And like I said, they want you to ride their bikes.  Companies like Kona, Trek and Spec couldn't care less.
Reply |

https://ridegg.com/shreddogg

One to consider if you want something a little special and have a little extra to spend.

Handbuilt in Colorado with excellent customer support.

If they can keep this up in a few years my next bike might be from them.
nepa nepa
Reply |

In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
Cunningstunts wrote
< And like I said, they want you to ride their bikes.  Companies like Kona, Trek and Spec couldn't care less.
It will be interesting to see what happens.... early on, Kona was like Transition.  They developed some pretty cool stuff without big R&D backing.

What do you think the odds of sell-out are?  I bet if I offered a group of a dozen dirt-bags a mountain of cash along with royalties in perpetuity, for the use of their CAD files, they'd probably think twice about their commitment to a rider-owned business plan.
123456 ... 15