153 messages Options
1 ... 45678
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Alternative Energy: Viable?

MC2 5678F589
D.B. Cooper wrote
"If I were king" I would have an X-prize type of competition.  A billion dollars for the first group (company, university, whatever) to come up with a solar capturing technology (photovoltaic) that can be commercialized and exceeds <insert threshold here>.

I would have a second X-prize of a billion dollars for the first group who could retain that electricity <insert threshold here>  and have it be commercialized.
They already do this. Not a billion dollars, but pretty hefty sums:

http://news.mit.edu/2015/jay-whitacre-wins-lemelson-mit-prize-for-revolutionary-battery-0915

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/jeff-dahn-herzberg-medal-battery-research-1.3965541

(Those were just the results of a quick Google search. I'm sure there are more)

Thomas Friedman is right... I'm a big fan of his.
Friedman is a wanker:

http://www.eschatonblog.com/2012/04/one-true-wanker-of-decade.html
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Nothing more "credible" than a web site that looks like this.....

Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Mine doesn't look like that. I think they're just Google ads.  Looking for weight loss solutions lately DB? How about responding to the valid criticisms:

Such wankers are impervious to criticism because they're always doing battle with straw critics. They never remember what they said last week, and assume you won't either.

In April 2003 Friedman said that Arab journalists who talked about the US ‘occupation’ of Iraq were guilty of ‘Saddamism’. In August 2003 Friedman wrote: ‘This is an occupation.’

In 2007 he surmised that Iraqis ‘hate each other more than they love their own kids’. In 2009 he hoped that they’d learned from America’s ‘million acts of kindness’ and ‘profound example of how much people of different backgrounds can accomplish when they work together’.

In 2005 Friedman argued: ‘We have to have a proper election in Iraq so we can have a proper civil war there.’ Earlier this year, he wrote: ‘For all of the murderous efforts by al-Qaida to trigger a full-scale civil war in Iraq, it never happened.’ Never mind that in 2006 he said: ‘It is now obvious that we are not midwifing democracy in Iraq. We are baby-sitting a civil war.’

Tom Friedman is wrong about everything, and Tom Friedman don't care!

Friedman actually styled himself a critic of the war he so strongly advocated for, but the path of his criticism was as Greenwald described:

(1) If the war is done the right way, great benefits can be achieved.
(2) If the war is done the wrong way, unimaginable disasters will result.
(3) The Bush administration is doing this war the wrong way, not the right way, on every level.
(4) Given all of that, I support the waging of this war.

If only the ungrateful wogs would have done what they should have done then everything would have been great.
And of course, the "suck on this" moment:

Thomas Friedman wrote
What they needed to see was American boys and girls going house to house, from Basra to Baghdad, um and basically saying, "Which part of this sentence don't you understand?"

You don't think, you know, we care about our open society, you think this bubble fantasy, we're just gonna to let it grow?

Well Suck. On. This.

Okay.

That, Charlie, was what this war was about. We could've hit Saudi Arabia, it was part of that bubble. We coulda hit Pakistan. We hit Iraq because we could
Consider him a smart, reasoned journalist if you want, but holy shit: this guy was one of the biggest Iraq War cheerleaders of all. "Suck On This"!?!!?

What kind of person thinks that way?

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
interesting article on batteries and EV's and the impact of cold temps on them

https://www.designnews.com/electronics-test/keeping-electric-cars-moving-even-when-it-s-cold-out/54521268156960?cid=nl.x.dn14.edt.aud.dn.20170614.tst004t
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I suspected this was the case - Making batteries is a very un green undertaking.  

https://tallbloke.wordpress.com/2017/06/19/study-tesla-car-battery-production-releases-as-much-co2-as-8-years-of-driving-on-petrol/amp/
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I saw a show on NBC tonight. Panels are getting cheaper and poor families in southeast asia can buy, for $400, one panel a converter and a battery that will run a lightbulb from dark until midnight. For these people it takes months or years to save $400.

It is changing lives, you can see it in the smiles of mothers who can cook for their family after the father gets home from work. They can eat together.

These families are skipping over fossil fuels and the grid.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
You are starting to see simple systems like that at state camp grounds. They should work fine for lights and charging phones, but not as well for pumps and other motor driven stuff. A simple system like that provides a lot of value in underdeveloped economies, but it won't support high power uses like irrigation or cooking unless you can network a lot of them together and control voltage and current. I think you will see a lot of developing countries skip the whole copper telephone network and just develop a broadband system, but once all those rural third worlders get iphones and start ordering air conditioners on Amazon, there will be a strong political demand to build out the electric distribution system. That's a lot like what happened in the US, when the federal government wired the whole country for telephone and electricity during the depression. mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I wasn't saying that model was scalable to the first world.

It's more like a lesson in marginal utility.  Your first 100 watts (amps? volts? whatever) are far more valuable than your last. When you live simply your impact is often less and small changes can make a big difference.

I once saw a theory by an anthropologist who put the idea of "advanced society" on it's ear.  By traditional definition advanced societies create lot of waste.  His theory was that the less waste, the more advanced.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
CampCoalChoker!!!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
ScottyJack wrote
CampCoalChoker!!!
Our tax dollars are going to fossil fuel companies to help the destroy winter and skiing, but camp is worried about the 40,000 coal mining jobs left in a country of 350 million people.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
CampClosetTrumpican!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
I've posted this several times that storage is the big issue with Solar and Wind.  Hydro storage is one solution but it has limits and wont work every where particularly in the Western US that have water issues to start with.

Battery farms could work but what are the environmental impacts or making large volumes of batteries - its a very non green industry.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
I don't wander over here to the OT very often but figured I would throw this out there:

https://news.utexas.edu/2017/02/28/goodenough-introduces-new-battery-technology

This technology if it can be commercialized is a game changer. There are also lots of very exciting things happening in NYS in regards to grid scale energy storage, energy efficiency, renewables, grid 2.0, combined heat and power systems, offshore wind etc.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I have been looking around for what they are doing to do to get P.R back up and going with Electricity.  It seems like the are going to rebuild the same old shit system that was there.  We have a great opportunity to build an entire system that uses fossil fuels as a back up to renewables and I think we are going to squander it.  They need to give someone like Musk the reigns on this project.  Perry is talking about nuclear which is just that talk never going to happen.  It takes to long.   Micro grids seems like the answer.  Faster more independent of each other and probably cheaper in the short run and long run.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Great thinking TJ. Sad to squander the opportunity too.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by tjf1967
TJF, I agree with everything you said.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by tjf1967
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Puerto Rico's choice is to either rebuild what they had and get 95% of the country back on line by maybe February, or spend 5 years or more building a super efficient, renewable experimental microgrid system.

Which would you chose?

mm, p.e.  
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Milo Maltbie wrote
mm, p.e.
Noticed a little addendum to your signature
1 ... 45678