Belleayre Gondola Discussion Thread

254 messages Options
12345 ... 26
snoloco snoloco
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Belleayre Gondola Discussion Thread

Noticed that the original PR picture for Belleayre's gondola is actually a picture of Stowe's Poma gondola.

Original picture

Notice the same cabin number, skis in the door rack in the same position, both door windows open in both pictures, skiers inside sitting in the exact same positions, and same scenery in the background in relation to the lift parts.

I've lived in New York my entire life.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

Excellent catch
snoloco snoloco
Reply |

In reply to this post by louie.mirags
louie.mirags wrote
Also isn't one of the goals of the gondola to get more people to park down below instead of cramming up by the current lodge? They are going to update the lower lodge (discovery lodge).  Also they plan to add mtn biking and have more summer tourism.  So maybe not the "worst" lift ever.  
I believe this is a precursor to the Highmount expansion.  The original plan shows a fixed grip running from the Discovery Lodge to the base of Tomahawk.  It appears they simply extended that lift to the top and made it a gondola.  Since it runs above existing trails much of the way, they could get approval for it with the permit for the original fixed grip on the lower portion which was approved as part of the Highmount plan.  If that was the intent, then I think this was the right move because given full Highmount build out, the original plan would've put so many people on the Tomahawk lift that it would've needed to be upgraded to at least a HSQ and probably a 6-pack.  The Highmount plan has two additional lifts to the west of Tomahawk.

Parking is extremely limited at Overlook.  I get there early, so I can always park up there.  I usually use the lot adjacent to the top of lift 1/2, boot up in the car, and ski down to the Superchief.  Discovery has much more parking and it is easily expandable.
louie.mirags louie.mirags
Reply |

Belle posted it on fb
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

That makes no damn sense for skiing. Maybe sweet for a bike park tho.
x10003q x10003q
Reply |

What the Emperor wants the Emperor gets. Building a lift that most skiers will use 1 or 2 times a day is a big waste of money, but the Emperor is trying to pad out his resume for his Presidential run.
snoloco snoloco
Reply |

Pretty cool that they posted a map with that much detail.  Much more than I or anyone else expected.

X10003q:  I have said this before, and I will say it again.  Gondolas ARE NOT supposed to be lapped.  They are supposed to be access lifts that you take once and then ski off other lifts.  Whiteface has it set up this way also.  The intent is clearly for the gondola to be used for accessing the upper mountain, with LWF and Freeway being used to lap it.  At Killington, the intent is for K1 to be the access lift with North Ridge, Canyon, and all Snowdon lifts being used to lap the terrain.  If you are trying to lap a gondola all day, you're doing it wrong.  Luckily, so many Whiteface customers make this mistake leaving the good lifts (LWF, Summit, Lookout) largely line free.
evantful evantful
Reply |

This bums me out a great deal. Really sad to see that much of Seneca will have towers running through it or in its proximity. Really one of my favorite groomers top to bottom their.

snoloco snoloco
Reply |

The only tower that will be completely in the center of the trail will be tower 15.  Appears that all the others will be off to the side and not on the currently skiable run.  The gondola also means that Peekamoose and the 3 trails it branches into will be higher priority.
12345 ... 26