Belleayre Gondola Discussion Thread

classic Classic
142 messages Options
1234567 ... 15
Reply |  

Re: Belleayre Gondola Discussion Thread

Brownski
In reply to this post by snoloco
Just kidding around, Sno. Just the wording "bubble chair" is funny and your promotion of them is kind of perplexing to us old guys I guess.

Of course nobody said that gondolas are "better" for lapping, just that plenty of them are lapped, based on certain peoples' experiences. Your declaration earlier that gondolas aren't meant for anything except to travel between pods prompted those comments I imagine.

As far as the lift not being a social occasion if you're skiing alone, I disagree. You should always say hello to your chairmates and if they seem like they want to have a conversation, do so. You might be surprised at how much you can learn that way (of course if they don't seem like they want to talk, you should pick up on that too and leave them alone)

Reply |  

raisingarizona
Why do you hate taking your skis off? It's not like it takes any effort.

Reply |  

Hoser
Seems more at Gore than WF, but getting off the Gondi seem to have an ice issue on the boots.  Those with boot heaters definitely have an issue.  Take a look at all the people at the top and notice those attempting or using a partner for boot ice removal.  Therefore, I also avoid Gondi's if possible due to this (one of many reasons).  But hey, we are spoiled in NYS and when its -20 and a bluebird day, yeah, I may lap the Gondi's.

Reply |  

snoloco
Hoser:  The WF gondola has wooden platforms with rubber mats at both terminals, while the Gore gondola has concrete platforms.  That could be the difference.

Brownski:  Could be a case of sno stating opinion as fact and it wouldn't be the first time I did that.  There are plenty of gondolas out there that are enjoyable to lap.  I've always felt like they are better suited to access lift locations and areas where the lift needs to take foot traffic as well as skiers.  Chairlifts can only be used efficiently by skiers.  For routes where an enclosed lift is desired that is meant to be lapped and there isn't any foot traffic, bubble chairs work the best.  You get the comfort of a gondola with the convenience of leaving equipment on.  A relatively new innovation for locations that could benefit from being a chair or gondola is the combined installation, often referred to as a Chondola or telemix.  This design runs gondola cabins and chairs on the same line.  Usually 6 passenger chairs and 8 passenger cabins are used with one cabin for every 3-5 chairs.  The capacity is usually just below that of a 6-pack due to increased chair spacing needed to fit the cabins.

PS I often chat with my chair mates when I have them.

I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply |  

x10003q
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Why do you hate taking your skis off? It's not like it takes any effort.
I hate taking off my skis because now I have to handle snow covered skis while standing in the weekend gondola line and then my gloves get wet. If you have little kids it is also a pain in the ass getting them out of their skis, carrying more wet skis and then getting them back into their skis. I also get too hot in a gondola. When I am dressed for skiing I do not need a 7-10 minute visit between every run in the warm temps in the gondola.

The good thing about gondolas is they suck lots of people off all the other lifts. They are also helpful if you are skiing in the rain.

Reply |  

Harvey
Admin
My favorite lifts are fixed grip doubles, second is HS Quads.  

Gondies are far down the list, unless I'm skiing alone.

"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Reply |  

Harvey
Admin

"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Reply |  

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
This will go down as the stupidest lift ever built in the world.
I'm someone who believes I can no longer be shocked by government taxpayer waste, and this one even surprised me.

Reply |  

BenedictGomez
snoloco wrote
Noticed that the original PR picture for Belleayre's gondola is actually a picture of Stowe's Poma gondola.
Gotta' be a millennial in Bellayre's marketing department.

Reply |  

mountainhigh
When I first saw this last week, I chuckled and thought it was a tongue-in-cheek, parody thread.  I come back today and lo-and-behold you guys are up to four pages and the responses appear to be serious - even considered and deliberate.  What am I missing?  

Still can't seem to post in any sub-forum but this one.  Whatever.

1234567 ... 15