classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Belleayre, NY 03/10/12

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
This is what greets you while walking into the admin office at the Discovery Lodge:

Pretty funny and tells the story about the northeast's 2011-12 season. Belleayre is at a ghastly 64 inches of natural snow (and I think that includes the October 30 storm, which shouldn't really count). Between that and the snowmaking budget cuts, there are several closed trails, including upper Yahoo, which is usually covered with monstrous bumps.

Today's forecast called for sunny skies and temps in the low 30s, but when we pulled in at 8:45, it was overcast and pretty brisk. The morning was spent doing laps on crunchy trails. While we were happy to be in the mountains (incredibly enough, this was my first ski day in the Catskills this season), the conditions weren't very motivating.

After taking an early lunch, we came back out at noon to find brilliant sunshine softening things up nicely and that was all the inspiration we needed. The rest of the afternoon was great and all lifts, including the Super Chief HSQ, were ski-on. Here's Jason on Onondaga:

Bryan on Belleayre Run:

Plattekill and Bearpen in the distance:

Not much has changed on-mountain since last season -- it's still the same friendly, low-key place as always -- but we were surprised to find the parking lot regraded (much needed) and decorated with a bunch of pine-tree planters (left us scratching our heads):

The question now (and this goes for any ski area in the northeast) is -- how much will be left after the next six days of blowtorch warmth? They're calling for 60 degrees every day in the Catskills through Saturday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Belleayre, NY 03/10/12

Powderqueen
Coverage looks good there.

Snowmonkey wanted to go there on Friday. I suggested we hit McCauley instead and go up to Gore from there. From what I can tell from your report, it sounds like McCauley was much more interesting skiing, even if it is half the vertical.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Powderqueen wrote
From what I can tell from your report, it sounds like McCauley was much more interesting skiing, even if it is half the vertical.
Since Belle's trees (never mentioned by the anti-Belleayre crowd on this forum) are off limits due to insufficient natural snow, you definitely made the right call to go to McCauley. I can't believe I haven't skied there yet -- the photos from your McC TRs look great.

Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
McC  is a great local venue James try it   some trails there ski big

If you like BUMPS  don't miss Helmers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Nuff said don't want to spoil it 4 u
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.