Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Big Sky Conditions

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
#14 sent this to me yesterday captioned "Top of the World"

Not the peak, but there is some REALLY fun terrain off of this chair.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

takeahike46er
Challenger accesses an impressive assortment of terrain, that's for sure.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Campi could you relay the message if they dont ski off the tram they dont have the balls they were born with will ya?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
tjf1967 wrote
Campi could you relay the message if they dont ski off the tram they dont have the balls they were born with will ya?
He's skied everything EXCEPT Big Couloir, wouldn't let him in there without avi gear. What they skied up there was steep, as in scary STEEP, but you already know that. Guess he got hooked up with some chick who works there and has been showing him around.....she tried skiing him into the ground but didn't, guess it was close thgo
Reply | Threaded
|

dobermann
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
My wife is bringing my ski boots home today to see if I can wear them. If I can ski this week I would show you all the stuff I was going to show Camp P. Supposed to snow on Mon-Tues. The coverage is good now no matter what happens.
In general, if it is warm and Sunny you go to the Moonlight side. If it's snowing with poor vis, ski the trees on Andesite. Otherwise ski the tram. You can ski low angle trees in N.Y. Even if they can see the tram line from outer space it is worth it this year. If you have avi gear I could take you out safely into the side country. Well... kinda safely.
Will you be able to communicate with this site when you're out here? I'm not sure of how to get you my cell number. It will probably come down to meeting you at the base one morning.
Otherwise, Good Luck!
Reply | Threaded
|

dobermann
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
I can't say the skiing will be great when you get here. That's like saying the fishing will be good. Nobody knows for sure. But it snowed 2 feet last week. Then it snowed another 2 feet the past 2 days. Reports from the peak said nipple deep until it got to waist deep. Many feel it was the best day in a couple decades.
I got my skis on in the afternoon and made a few runs. Everything hurt and I was weak. My friends had to wait for me a few times on the way down. That has never happened before. But I was happy to be out and I couldn't believe how good the coverage is. I have to go up today and load trucks with snow. We ran out of room to blow it or stack it.
I can't seem to upload a photo because of my dial up connection. I'll take a new picture today and go somewhere with wi-fi and try to post it.
BTW, you guys have another storm rolling your way from here.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
your brothers at WF appreciate sending that big sky snow.  We just love big sky snow!  Probably close to six foot base above 4000 on Algonquin Sunday.  Some great turns in the northeast bowl!  It was AWESOME!  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

dobermann
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
Tomorrow ( Sat ) is Dirtbag Day. You will see people dressed up in some pretty funny shit. Just after noon is the powder 8 comp. I am not in it this year and will be watching with all the others. I will probably be wearing a leopard skin coat. The 8's are held above the triple chair, below the tram on the slope called Krons. Take the 4 minute walk up to the crowd and watch foe awhile. Some funny shit goes on there. Look for me there.
Or...
Around 11am, the dirtbags group up at the base of the triple chair. I may also be found there. From there, the king and Queen lead a parade down the mountain and then back to the top. More funny shit, but watch out for drunken skiers skiing in a drunken manner.
Stop bye and say hello. I can then make some plans with you or at least line you out with where to be.

1992: During the parade
tourist: Excuse me, but is that really a bottle of whiskey?
me: Yeah, would you like some?
tourist: No, No thank you
me: Problem ?
tourist: Yeah, you think it's funny to be drinking while my family is out here skiing.
me: Wanna tell the owner of the ski area?
tourist: I just might
me: That's him in the green dress. ( On the quad chair above us, the dirtbag parade is coming up. The owner, John Kircher, is with 5 others on the chair and throws a beer bottle at somebody on the ground. The bottle explodes.)
me: Whiskey? You're worried about the whiskey? What about all the mushrooms I ate this morning? That's what you should be worried about!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
lolkl wrote

1992: During the parade
tourist: Excuse me, but is that really a bottle of whiskey?
me: Yeah, would you like some?
tourist: No, No thank you
me: Problem ?
tourist: Yeah, you think it's funny to be drinking while my family is out here skiing.
me: Wanna tell the owner of the ski area?
tourist: I just might
me: That's him in the green dress. ( On the quad chair above us, the dirtbag parade is coming up. The owner, John Kircher, is with 5 others on the chair and throws a beer bottle at somebody on the ground. The bottle explodes.)
me: Whiskey? You're worried about the whiskey? What about all the mushrooms I ate this morning? That's what you should be worried about!

hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahwhwhahabababababahahaha
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Big Sky rules!!!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

dobermann
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

dobermann
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
WROD report:
                    Big Sky opened yesterday with 3 chairs and three trails. And the parking lot was full. The conditions were pretty good... all things considered. We got a little over a foot of snow right before they opened which was a 'Hail Mary ' storm. With plenty of skier compaction the coverage was good. Now the crowd will be gone and we can get down to exercise and practice.
I'm pretty excited to be back at it. I was a miserable SOB last year.
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
The ski area got almost 2" a couple days ago. We plowed yesterday just to make sure the machines would start. We have not needed to plow since opening weekend. The Ski Patrol did an outstanding job of getting terrain open. If they could get a rescue sled down it, they opened it. I don't know what they are reporting for a base but I'm here to tell you that it is 0 - 18". Mostly 13". The rocks and gravel make you alert enough that the grass and branches just fly by. The Tram opened last week and I said " No Thanks."  The guys who went said it was ice to rock to wind fuck to wind fuck with ice and rocks. Plus there was no vis and it was cold and windy.
On the other hand, no tram line. The trails are really quiet. And if it isn't rocky, the skiing is OK. Socially, this is a great time of the season. Old friends coming back and new, cute ticket checkers to discuss.
Oh well... this kinda thing can happen. It will snow sooner or later. We can dance and pray. Our first couple attempts at sacrificing a virgin were unsuccessful but we hope to find one soon.