1 ... 7891011
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bought my last Honda.

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I learned about two new features today. One is definitely good, the other TBD.

If you put one quick pulse or flick into the signal you get three flashes out of it.  It's perfect for a quick lane change.

The other thing is also cool, but a bit of overkill is the cruise control. It is loaded with features I don't full understand.  But it has four settings for aggressiveness if that makes sense.

On the highest setting the car will do whatever it has to do stay within 1 mph of the speed that is set.  On the mellowest (econ I guess) setting the car won't try to make up for lost speed on a incline.

Before I figured it out I was like WTF. I set cruise for 72 and was going 62? I definitely want an aggressive cruise.

The flashing side mirrors are also great imo.

I'm convinced now however the motor is too small.  I mean I did just get 30mpg in a decent sized AWD.  But the turbo is not really enough for to stomp on it fully loaded, 3 people and luggage.  I'm ok driving for MPG, I just think that old 2.4 was a nicer motor.  I'd like to see a 2.0 liter with a turbo in there.  I'd take 3mpg less if it really had gas.

I stomped on it at one point pulling out from a service area in traffic. The car protested.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
I've had the flick 3 flashes turn signal on my current and last car, IMO it is a must have option. I can't imagine any car maker not including that going forward on new cars. It encourages turn signal use.

The four modes for cruise control doesn't make much sense to me. Giving up speed on a big incline often times is less economical. On a really long incline, if you give up too much speed, you are going to have to give it quite a bit of gas to get up and over the hill.

The better strategy is to never use cruise in mountain regions. When you are approaching a hill, gradually pick up a little extra speed before hitting the hill and keep the load on the engine until you can begin letting up once you know you've got enough speed to crest over the top without a load.

I guess that setting might be good for very small hills or flat areas with minor bumps. But I think that would result in worse fuel economy than regular cruise in the mountains. Could also piss other drivers off, lol.

On the flip side, regular cruise is less fuel efficient than mindful driving because the cruise control holds too rigidly to the set number, even when it is more efficient to coast and give up a few MPH due to a downhill.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
riverc0il wrote
I've had the flick 3 flashes turn signal on my current and last car, IMO it is a must have option. I can't imagine any car maker not including that going forward on new cars. It encourages turn signal use.
Totally agree.

riverc0il wrote
The four modes for cruise control doesn't make much sense to me. Giving up speed on a big incline often times is less economical. On a really long incline, if you give up too much speed, you are going to have to give it quite a bit of gas to get up and over the hill.
Agree.

riverc0il wrote
The better strategy is to never use cruise in mountain regions. When you are approaching a hill, gradually pick up a little extra speed before hitting the hill and keep the load on the engine until you can begin letting up once you know you've got enough speed to crest over the top without a load.
Also agree.

I use cruise for a mental break or on flat roads. IMO mindful driving always beat eco mode or whatever, but it is a bit of effort.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Two points for harv, I resisted all of that $hit!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
LOL -- good for you buddy!

The only item I personally disagree with them on is the extended warranty. I would never, ever, ever, ever recommend to someone to purchase an aftermarket warranty. The price difference is  minimal and the coverage from a manufacturers warranty is far superior. The rest is snake oil
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I stomped on it at one point pulling out from a service area in traffic. The car protested.
I'm starting wonder if I might have exceeded the redline when I stomped it.  The motor made a bad sound. The CVT never really goes much above 2500 rpm in normal driving but I noticed is goes much higher if you get aggressive.

Camp or anyone... If I did exceed redline for a few seconds, how bad is that?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
You can not hurt it. The car will go into a "fail safe" mode before any real damage can be done. Sounds like you may have hit the rev limiter which is a built in safety (for the car itself) feature.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I was hoping that it was something like that. Why do they show 1500 of RPM (6500-8000) in the red zone?

Does the rev limiter make a sound?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
  Why do they show 1500 of RPM (6500-8000) in the red zone?

I'm not really sure.

Harvey wrote

Does the rev limiter make a sound?
Your motor will sort of shudder? I guess that's what one would call it. Here's an example, but these guys are doing it on purpose.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Harvey wrote
I'm starting wonder if I might have exceeded the redline when I stomped it.  The motor made a bad sound. The CVT never really goes much above 2500 rpm in normal driving but I noticed is goes much higher if you get aggressive.

Camp or anyone... If I did exceed redline for a few seconds, how bad is that?
There is no way you exceeded the redline. Your Honda has a rev limiter  - probably one that shuts off the fuel injectors.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Well then not sure what that sound was.

I skied Belle today.  Mileage on the way up (digital) was just above 30.  On the way back, I never really realized it, it's gradually down almost all the way.  Digital was showing over 40 mpg when I got to 87.  I ended up just over 35 when I got home.  I was moving quickly, in the 70s, but not pressing too hard.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Got 33 on the way up last night all highway mostly.

The CVT is definitely different going up our steep driveway. I was sure I wasn't but it slowly plodded up. Not sure it's as good it's hard to rev the engine. May have made it up because tires are brand new. Hope not.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Keeping track of lifetime mileage.  Over Christmas it dropped below 30. The brutal cold temps and a week of mountain driving had it down to 29 something. Back over 31 now after our drive to Virginia. Averaged about 34 on that trip.  Pretty amazing to me.

Also washed the car for the first time. Looks like I abused the paint passing salt trucks chasing pow in the Catskills and VT. Several chips on the hood.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Last night a car pulled out from my right cutting in front of me. I went for the break and was sure all was cool, ie we wouldn't collide. But the CRV LOCKED EM UP on it's own. I was sure I must have hit something.

I was going so slow that the car didn't skid, just stopped instantly. Scared the crap out of me.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Must have eyesight? Is that standard on your CRV?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
It is.  I think it might be standard on all Hondas. Certainly on all CRVs.

The cruise works really well. You can set it at whatever top speed you are comfortable with and drive safely on the highway all day.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
I got the Sensing package on my Civic Hatch. List price was $1000 more for the Sensing package. I was most interested in the lane departure warning for long drives on highways when I am tired. Not sure it was worth the extra money but I guess it just takes one critical accident avoided to pay for itself. The brake warning can be a bit annoying in medium setting but if it prevents even a crash, worth it. It was not standard on my partner's '16 CRV.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Yea the '17 was a redesign. I didn't know the feature had "settings."

I like it for the same reasons you do. The lane departure feature seems key for a solo and tired skier driving home on a Sunday night.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This setup got 32+ on the trip up. Somewhat amazed at that.
1 ... 7891011