Cougar?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
53 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cougar?

campgottagopee
Avg weight of a male BC is 21lbs, rarley do they get over 30lbs, most are the size of a house cat. Also, avg tail length is about 5 to 6 inches.......in this pic, it looks to me, that this cat is MUCH heavier than even 45 pounds, can't really see the tail but by proportion it seems longer than 5ish inches (TWSS)
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Where was that taken??
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I think Wisconsin.  They have them that big up in Newcomb.  They can live forever and never encounter a human for the most part.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In the Bobcat article, there's a pic of a stuffed bobcat that was allegedly shot at the ski area. Looks a bit larger than a cat.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
http://www.endless-belt.com/neweb/html/dl/01092013_bobcat.pdf

cool article about a possible state record (nys) bobcat taken in the Dacks----est live weight around 50 to 55 lbs

I understand they can get big, i get that. The markings in the original pic, to me, just don't support the markings of a bobcat. Being the DEC has confirmed big cats in the Dacks I'm still sticking w/ that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
I've seen 2 cats on the East shore of Lake George up near Gull Bay.  I would guess, and I'm not good at guessing that they were about 40lbs.  They were gliding down retaining walls at an unoccupied camp.

Really neat stuff
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
It is straight foward if they want to identify it.  Go where the pic was taken follow the tracks till you find scat.  
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
tjf1967 wrote
It is straight foward if they want to identify it.  Go where the pic was taken follow the tracks till you find scat.
Easier said than done
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
And another update, including another picture:

New mountain lion picture

Excerpt:
I'm no wildlife biologist, but it does not appear to have the short, bushy tail that bobcats seem to have and the tail appears to drop down and twist to the right from this picture.

Mountain lions, also known as cougars and panthers, are known for their long tails, up to 3 feet long. Bobcat tails generally run about 6-1/2 inches.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I want cougars back in the area.  Still looks like a BC to me.   That leaf is right about where a BC tail shoould end.  The brown you see under the leaf is the other leg.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Tj correct. Great white hunter camp peeper wrong!!!   Hahaha. That cat gots spots!$!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
Tj correct. Great white hunter camp peeper wrong!!!   Hahaha. That cat gots spots!$!

That damn TJ is always right

second pix gave it away
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Oct 22, 2014 — CAMBRIDGE, N.Y. (AP) Police say they've received two reports of what witnesses describe as a cougar in the Washington County village of Cambridge.

Cambridge-Greenwich Police posted a notice on their Facebook page Tuesday advising residents to call police or the state Department of Environmental Conservation if they spot what they believe is a mountain lion, or cougar.

Police Chief George Bell tells the Glens Falls Post-Star that the man who reported seeing a cougar in his yard recently had also reported seeing one last year eating a deer carcass. When DEC investigated last year, they concluded it was a bobcat.

The eastern cougar has been extinct from New York since the 1800s, but DEC says there have been sightings of escaped captive cougars and a wild one that wandered from North Dakota.

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/26401/20141022/possible-cougar-sightings-reported-in-washington-county-village
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Police Chief George Bell tells the Glens Falls Post-Star that the man who reported seeing a cougar in his yard recently had also reported seeing one last year eating a deer carcass. When DEC investigated last year, they concluded it was a bobcat.
So why do they put out a cougar bulletin from the same dude again
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
I want cougars back in the area.  Still looks like a BC to me.   That leaf is right about where a BC tail shoould end.  The brown you see under the leaf is the other leg.
Yeah that's great so we have a loose wild dangerous animal that will eat our children. Just great. This isn't yellowstone.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Don' t mind ol' TJ, he's a herd thinner from way back.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee