Cruise Night in Flatlands USA

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
46 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cruise Night in Flatland USA

campgottagopee
Buddy of mine had one of these when we were in high school---the car was proof 2 ugly dudes could get chicks---71  olds 442

anyone know what 442 stands for??? if you have to look it up it doesn't count.

Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
4 on the floor, 4 bbl, posi-traction?  If that's right I swear I didn't look it up.  I definitely used to know once but I haven't thought about it in a long time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
Just went and looked it up.  I was close but no cigar.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
2 outta 3---damn good

no clue why i always remember that----it's kinda like avogadro's number, i always remember that too but it never gets me anything
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
My buddy had the same Road Runner..That car scared the shit out of me..

Great stuff..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
4 barrel
4 speed
dual exhaust?
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
campgottagopee wrote
Noah John wrote
That Vette is so cool.  Brings back memories of doing 130 mph down Washington Avenue Extension circa 1988.  Thing just sat on the road like a rock, barely a buzz in the steering wheel.  Topped that speed only once, on my Honda Interceptor 750.  Same road; a little spookier.

No way, I had one too---VF1000R---THE COOLEST OF COOL---the original sport bike. Wish I still had her.

I took one out 1 time and I almost buried it. A very scary hairy ride. I was mostly on a Kawasaki GPz 750.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
4 barrel
4 speed
dual exhaust?

Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q

1969 Dodge Daytona
A guy in my HS had one of these. It was awesome.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Noah John wrote
That Vette is so cool.  Brings back memories of doing 130 mph down Washington Avenue Extension circa 1988.  Thing just sat on the road like a rock, barely a buzz in the steering wheel.  Topped that speed only once, on my Honda Interceptor 750.  Same road; a little spookier.

No way, I had one too---VF1000R---THE COOLEST OF COOL---the original sport bike. Wish I still had her.

I took one out 1 time and I almost buried it. A very scary hairy ride. I was mostly on a Kawasaki GPz 750.
I hear ya. just think, by modern sport bike standards the VF100R is heavy, slow, and unbalanced. My, my, how things change.

Had a kid working for me a couple years back that was on a Kawasaki ZX13, I drove it, I peed my pants. It's no wonder peeps getting killed on these things. Only thing that I've experienced that same kind of torque would be taking off in a airplane.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
campgottagopee wrote
x10003q wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Noah John wrote

I hear ya. just think, by modern sport bike standards the VF100R is heavy, slow, and unbalanced. My, my, how things change.

Had a kid working for me a couple years back that was on a Kawasaki ZX13, I drove it, I peed my pants. It's no wonder peeps getting killed on these things. Only thing that I've experienced that same kind of torque would be taking off in a airplane.
The Interceptor was the coolest thing around but it was such a bear compared to the GPz. The new bikes are for crazy people with a death wish. One of the Kawasakis has 186 horsepower and 110 lb-ft of torque. Yikes. Now I just look. I am too old and slow to get on a sport bike now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
Marcski wrote
I was always partial to these:

I had a '69 Grand Prix with a 428 H.O. 4 bbl carb.

Buddy of mine still has the '69 Lemans convertible.  400 4bbl I think.  I had no idea GM/Pontiac even made a 428.  I think Ford did.  Mopar had the 426 ("that thing got a Hemi?") .

Quick peek at the intertubz tells me Pontiac bored out a 421 HO to 426 and change - rounded to 427.  Don't know how they got that to equal 428.  I'm not quibbling about a lousy cubic inch of displacement I just like to know where these #s come from.  Maybe that's just how they differentiated the Pontiac 427 from the Chevy 427?  I dunno.  DeLorean probably insisted that his Pontiacs look phatter on paper than "mere" Chevys.

In 1967 the 421 was bored to 4.120. this gave a displacement of 426.61 CID or a 427. The 428 had the same 4.00" stroke as the 421, and was produced from 1967 to 1969. this engine produced 360 hp and 376 hp in 1967, 375 hp and 390 hp in 1968 and 360 hp, 370 hp and 390 hp in 1969. The crankshaft in the 428 also had a "N" cast on them as opposed to the 421's Armasteel. In 1969, Pontiac also used a revised crankshaft out of a Pearlitic malleable-iron, although it still used the "N" casting letter. This new material had stronger alloys in the iron. All 428 engines were factory install in large cars only. However, there were a few dealers that would install a 428 in a customers GTO or Firebird for higher power levels.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Spotted this bad boy behind the school today...

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker

My niece who is 32 years old who still is not allowed to drive my brother in laws car.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Howzabout a little modern muscle...my buddy Pro just got one of these bad boyz, Pontiac G8 GT...puttin out just over 400HP

Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Camp is da man!  We were sitting on his deck drinking beers on a Friday night when I told him I needed to get a new (to me) car and I really wanted a G8 GT and to keep his eye out for one...the NEXT morning I get a text from him saying he just took one in on trade! It took him a whole 12 hours to get one for me and it's a beauty!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
pro2860 wrote
 it's a beauty!
Sure is a beauty, does wicked donuts too  
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
campgottagopee wrote
Howzabout a little modern muscle...my buddy Pro just got one of these bad boyz, Pontiac G8 GT...puttin out just over 400HP

A truly awesome ride that nobody knows about. The sleepiest of sleepers plus a bargain price. GM should have continued to bring this in as a Chevy. There are rumors that chevy will have a RWD 4 door like this in the near future from Holden. The problem is GM might be closing down Holden.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
x10003q wrote
campgottagopee wrote

A truly awesome ride that nobody knows about. The sleepiest of sleepers plus a bargain price. GM should have continued to bring this in as a Chevy. There are rumors that chevy will have a RWD 4 door like this in the near future from Holden. The problem is GM might be closing down Holden.

Agree, that car has flown under the radar forever.....I know I enjoyed driving it be4 Pro got his hands on it. Everything about the car screams fast.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp