Geeky Trail Building Thread.

96 messages Options
12345 ... 10
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Geeky Trail Building Thread.

The first switchback turn is planed to go where the flat spot in the sun is just behind the rock tower.

JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

Will this trail be a out and back? Or is there a double track to climb? or a shuttle type situation?
"Peace and Love"
Reply |

It’s part of a fairly large system. You can climb a road to the top of Elden or use trail so shuttling it is an option but it’s not a multiple laps kind of set up. Little Elden is part of a loop that circumnavigates around the base of Elden and it’s also a part of The Arizona Trail. The AZT spans the entire state starting at the Mexico border all the way up to Utah.

The AZT.  https://aztrail.org/

Here’s one of the control points/view sheds from the proposed LE trail reroute.

This one was taken from the first switchback when we gps’d the line.

And here is one more taken from about 3/4 of the way down the Heart Trail from a long redrock ridge it descends along. The views look out toward the Painted Desert.

Marcski Marcski
Reply |

I just read somewhere about a female cyclist that set a new record on the AZT trail.

Here it is:

https://www.bikemag.com/fully-loaded-bikepacking/kaitlyn-boyle-crushes-arizona-trail-300-womens-record/
gorgonzola gorgonzola
Reply |

love that last pic! Nice work!
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

In reply to this post by raisingarizona
gonna  try to get out to sedona next year, def head up to flag and ride that trail
"Peace and Love"
Reply |

JasonWx wrote
gonna  try to get out to sedona next year, def head up to flag and ride that trail
It probably won’t be done for at least two more years. We’ve been working a lot in Upper Sunset the last few years. I think the thing to ride is Sunset down to Little Bear, then loop around up to Shultz Pass and across the AZT towards Snowbowl Road.

I’ll start posting pics of some of our recent work.

This was our project yesterday.

Marcski Marcski
Reply |

RA, so when you build a burm...you use rocks for structural support and then fill it in/cover it with mud?  That's pretty much what we did on our local trails...but I am always game for some schooling.
Reply |

Yup, at least in here we did. The dirt should seap into the cracks between the rocks locking them in place and the rocks will probably be visible. We figured this would keep them way more maintainable. It’s all just an experiment I guess.

This turn took a massive amount of rock to shape. We were calling it the four ton corner.

On a more bike specific trail we might go with all dirt as long as we have some groms that could tune it up every season.
Reply |

Yesterday we got word that the CE for the Little Elden/Heart Trails project was finally signed making it an official go.

I went out hiking and scouting today, here’s a few shots of the views along the Little Elden Trail (in yellow on google earth image) reroute.

12345 ... 10