Geeky Trail Building Thread.

36 messages Options
ScottyJack ScottyJack
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Geeky Trail Building Thread.

Yeah that second pic is a trail called double time.  It bisects a wetland and connects the lower zone in the beaver brook trail sytem to the upper technical trails.

A century ago it was farm land and the farmer must of filled this area for a work road.  It’s a problem spot as water drains from wetland through the old tire ruts.  We’ve been hardening the lookers left side with stone and diverting water to upper rut to keep water from undercutting the bank and eroding trail tread.    

I ride with Crazy Horse!
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

Oh nice. It sounds like the typical lipstick on a pig or temporary band aid fix that we are all too familiar with. Is there an opportunity to reroute that section so it doesn't run water?

Either way, if you can maintain it then it's probably not too big of a deal.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

In reply to this post by ScottyJack
This thread is inspiring to me. You guys are doing some great work there
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
ScottyJack ScottyJack
Reply |

In reply to this post by raisingarizona

The wetland complex starts at the base of the cliffy area in the pic

so we are constrained as far as options. Have to move from right to left to connect zones.

Long term we’ll probably build about 50 feet of bridging over the wettest section.  But we need to prioritize new trail construction to continue our momenteum towards destignation mtn bike location.  I’ll keep hardening and diverting to push water to upper rut.  I’ll also keep back filling the lower rut with the wet clay type soil I dig out.  It hardens into killer tread material

I ride with Crazy Horse!
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

We had a trail event this past Thursday and it was a major turd polishing for sure. It was on probably the most hated fall line sections in Flagstaff. A realignment is proposed for it but the process for that is in action but will likely take a few more years so we went in to fix it up for now.

It was a big success and we had over 40 people show up for the event. We built 10 or so huge drains and the tread will hopefully hold up for a few years.
ScottyJack ScottyJack
Reply |

Nice work bro!
I ride with Crazy Horse!