classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
700 messages Options
1 ... 303132333435
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

TomCat
I just called back and now they say the lifts will be gondola, topridge, straightbrook and high-peaks. I wasn't sure the person on the earlier call had the info correct as it made no sense. This is more logical and I hope it holds up. Sorry for the misinformation, but I'm just the messenger. I would have checked the website and webcam, but...

This is enough for me to make my final trip.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Unfortunately phone call or asking in person often doesn't get you the right answer. The website does confirm your last note. Looks like BR and North are done - at least for tomorrow. Plan to be there Sunday.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
i will leave it alone. have done enough employee bashing. see you sunday. should be great
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Snowing pretty good up here at 1900.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by Danzilla
Danzilla wrote
Unfortunately phone call or asking in person often doesn't get you the right answer. The website does confirm your last note. Looks like BR and North are done - at least for tomorrow. Plan to be there Sunday.
I think when I first called the person just read some of the leftover verbiage on the web site saying that they expected to open burnt ridge and dark side for the weekend. That was still on the website even after they decided not to open top ridge and straight brook.

I normally wouldn't call but I don't trust the website to be up to date. I guess now I can't trust the phone either (although the last call was accurate).

In any case I made the trip and am looking forward to a nice spring weekend.

BTW, the Hudson is roaring - going to be amazing rafting.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
All things considered, Gore skied pretty well today, and it was EMPTY.Early, I would describe as frozen corduroy. It sounded terrible but really was OK. Lower mountain softened up by 10-11 and was where I spent the AM. Mashed potatoes near the bottom PM, so up top was better. With the wind, it felt and looked like winter up top. I would expect similar conditions tomorrow except that it will warm up a bit faster.

The open terrain had good coverage with some bare spots here and there.

If I were to guess, I think they may close mid week and reopen for the easter weekend. With 70 degrees early next week, Easter may be the finale.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
 The place to be today was the Dark side. Full on Winter powder on the sides.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
In reply to this post by TomCat
and now for another view...I thought today was way better than expected.  I got there late (10:15) and saw some people I knew that gave me the horror story from up top.  A couple runs down low with nice groomed not too mushy, but riding the gondi alone(wind) scared the crap out of me so I went up top.  On one ride when I got to the top I was shot across the box when it came in to where it leaves the cable.  Hawkeye...eh, not terrible...figured I would check out the dark side and do lies when I come back.  I am skiing past Darby Woods and notice it is open...Sweet!  Then riding up the double I see Dark Side Glade is open   I OCD'd on Dark Side Glade over and over again...all of the woods were in play off the double   When I finally hit Lies about 2:30, I had to do it several more times...it was so soft Hero Snow.  The lower mountain was so soggy it hurt to come down.  Rumor looked incredible and I swear I heard it say more than once, "come back tomorrow and have me"
Maybe 2" new and if you looked around the dark side you could find wind blown more than that with good base.  They call The Ski Bowl Old Gore...The Dark Side is Old School Gore!  Can't wait for big mushy bumps on Rumor tomorrow
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Glad to hear the "Rumor" that there may be big slushy bumps tomorrow. Couldn't make it out today due to work but you bet I'll be making the 2.5 hour trek up tomorrow for some steep bumpin'.

I also had to repair a core shot in my skis this evening from the end of my trip going a little to extreme at Lake Louise last week. Locked and loaded now though.

Happy to hear the dark side glades opened, that'll be a nice bonus. Hopeffuly the core shot I repaired won't :).
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
sudsnbumps wrote
.......I swear I heard it say more than once, "come back tomorrow and have me"
 Seductive, cruel bitch of a mistress......
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Great day today. Things got soft pretty early except for the dark side which stayed much firmer till at least early afternoon - when I left. They dropped the ropes on lower Darby and topridge. sometime in the morning. Lots of people on the deck enjoying the sun and a few beers. Nice way to end my season.

tom
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig

nice corn fest today. Adirondack Jeff showed up in some festive attire. lies was pick of the day. rumor was a little firm for me
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Late to the posting party but Gore was pretty sweet yesterday. For me Rumor was pick of the day once the corn harvest began around 1:30-2 PM. Had some great zipper-line bumps on the bottom 2/3 that weren't dumpster sized yet. Headwall also had some nice corn on it.

Dark side was also a good pick. Amazing how much snow they have up top still. That being said the warmth over the next couple days is going to do some damage, especially down low where it is starting to get thin. Hopefully they make it to next weekend as planned.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Gore, Thanks for being open today
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
Thinking of coming up this weekend for my final hurrah of the season.  Any thoughts / speculation on what will be open?  

Rumor / Lies / Chatty / Hawkeye ?  

Big Beautiful Bumps ?

Or should I drive the extra hour and head up to Killy instead?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I was at Gore today, just to look at it. It's not pretty.

And I saw some pictures of Killington. It looks like it's hurting too.

I guess I'd go to K, given the choice.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
You won't know 'till you go
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
sudsnbumps wrote
You won't know 'till you go
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
I didn't say I wouldn't be there.

Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
I'm definitely closing Gore on Sunday.  

However as an FYI to anyone thinking about Vermont:

MRG is closed, tragic because as of last Sunday they just had loads and loads of snow, more than many years in the past when we were skiing bumps and mud patches.

Jay is whomping with snow with 100% of their terrain still open, including just about any glade you want to drop into, we skied it hard this week and are going back again tomorrow.  If you can make the trip up, I would highly recommend it.

Sugarbush is loaded with snow on the main mountain also with major bumps on Steins Run, Spillsville and Organ Grinder but no more glades.

We haven't skied Killington this week but my guess is that its also in great condition.  

Vermont just got so much snow, the coverage is really great.  
1 ... 303132333435