classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
700 messages Options
1 ... 3132333435
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

TheGreatAbyss
As much as I'd love to ski Jay or the Bush I'm not about to spend 12 hours driving for 2 days of skiing.  Killy is a stretch for me as it is.  

MikePom wrote
I'm definitely closing Gore on Sunday.  
Do you work at Gore?   New to the forum (but a frequent Gore skier)
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Not to take much stock in it, but Gore updated the anticipated trail report for tomorrow and is showing Showcase and Twister open...and that's it. I know the trail report is normally way off...but hope that isn't the only things they are going to open.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
So called Gore and sure enough, only 2 trails for the weekend off AEII.

Now it very well could be there is not enough snow up top to open the summit, but given the fact there was way more snow up there then the base last weekend and no new snow fell this week I find it hard to believe it can't be opened.

Guess they don't have enough staff or desire to open it. It's a real shame, as Rumor and Lies were great last weekend and am imaging they would have been the same with a little less coverage this weekend.

Now I have to decide if I'm going to make a long drive to ski northern or central VT this weekend. Don't really want to drive, but also want to get some more spring skiing in. Sucks as I would have just done Gore if more terrain was available. WF isn't looking much better as they are down to 20 or so trails and all the good stuff off the summit is listed as being closed.
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
I've never been to Gore but Belleayre is opening 11 trails for tomorrow and the summit elevation is only 3.3kft and 154" of snow this season.  I don't see Gore's YTD total but must be more
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
louie.mirags wrote
I've never been to Gore but Belleayre is opening 11 trails for tomorrow and the summit elevation is only 3.3kft and 154" of snow this season.  I don't see Gore's YTD total but must be more
145 inches:

http://directory.nyskiblog.com/Gore-Mountain-Snow-Totals-2016-2017-tp5001509.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
oh wow I never noticed that before! I love checking out data like that.  I wonder how accurate Belleayre's totals are?  I could have swore the ADK have gotten an extra storm or two than us.  Belle did get walloped with Stella though.  And belle does get some drifting lake effect.  I see now their averages are pretty similar. Very interesting.  
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by Kleetus
Kleetus wrote

Now it very well could be there is not enough snow up top to open the summit, but given the fact there was way more snow up there then the base last weekend and no new snow fell this week I find it hard to believe it can't be opened.

Guess they don't have enough staff or desire to open it. It's a real shame, as Rumor and Lies were great last weekend and am imaging they would have been the same with a little less coverage this weekend.
I was also there Sunday and there was plenty of snow up top. But with two sunny 70 degree days early this week it is possible that Uncas is not passable. It gets a lot of sun.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
In reply to this post by Kleetus
Kleetus wrote
Gore is up to 6 trails for tomorrow and the price is down to $25.  But those 6 trails are all in the lower Northwoods area off of AE II.
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
Even if Uncas is done I would imagine there might be enough snow on Wood In to get over to High Peaks?  Regardless, despite having a season pass to Gore I made the call to head up to Killy tonight.  The travel sites had a deal for the Killington Mountain Lodge for $110/night.

Love that both Gore and Killy will be on the Mountain Collective next year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Doing the same thing except headed up tomorrow. Not a fan of driving 8 hours to ski sat and sun given I am on a business trip next week for which I have to get up at 3 AM on Monday, but gotta get it when you can. If you want to make some turns let me know. Prob won't get there until 10-11 on account of driving up in the AM.
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
PMed you Kleetus
Reply | Threaded
|

northerncajun
In reply to this post by TheGreatAbyss
Let me know how Killy is heading up monday!

thanls
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
I don't get it. There was some great coverage up top last Sunday, bottom was dicey.  Must b a dollar cents issue
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
We closed Gore on Sunday.  The morning was beautiful, large clouds quickly moving through a blue sky, warm and friendly.  The only lift running was the AEII and there were very few folks skiing.  It had rained the night before and whatever was left of the mountain took a beating.  Looking up to the summit we could see what appeared to be solid coverage on Rumor and Lies, it was a shame that so much snow was unaccessible.

The only trails officially open were Sunway to Quicksilver and the Arena.  Sunway was accessed via the lead into Twister because cover on the Saddle was nearly nonexistent.  It was obvious the groomers did the best they could to maintain a line to the bottom and in some areas even that began to deteriorate after our second run down.

On our third and final run, we decided to jump the rope into Showcase which despite one small section with no snow skied surprisingly good, so good that we all agreed it was worth the rope jump to end the year on a highlight.

We were all very thankful to the staff at Gore for keeping the mountain open until Easter Sunday.  They could have easily pulled the plug and shut down.  We were in Vermont all week skiing Jay, which had tremendous coverage with 100% of the mountain still open but we really wanted to end our season where it all began.

Its always a bittersweet moment in the Spring when the season comes to an end.   Skiing galvanizes our family relationships.  I can't explain the power it has, but it is an amazing thing.  With my daughter in college, we now leverage her breaks to get back on the mountain as a team again and the memories and love of the sport reinforce who we are and all the great moments in time that we've shared on the mountain, our time together at our ski camp is special and I know it enriches our lives.

So with this entry I bid this forum goodbye for a now.  Or at least until the ghosts of winter wake me on a hot summer night, and I start my countdown to the 2017 - 2018 season.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Can anyone report measurable snow in North Creek overnight?
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
I don't know about snow last night but it was f'n cold on the river yesterday and 37 in Queensbury this a.m..
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Gore has a New General Manager

NORTH CREEK, N.Y. --- The New York State Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA) announced today, Tuesday, June 27, that it has hired James Bayse as Gore Mountain’s general manager. Bayse replaces Mike Pratt, who after 21 years as the North Creek ski resort’s general manager was named the Authority’s president/CEO in March 2017.

“We’re excited to have James join the ORDA and Gore team,” said Pratt. “James has extensive experience in the ski and outdoor industry and is versed in the tourism industry and both public and government relations.”

Bayse brings almost 31 years of ski industry experience to Gore. From 1986 to 2000, he served as a member of the New York Ski Educational Foundation’s (NYSEF) coaching and event crew before becoming NYSEF’s program director where he helped grow the program from 60 to 165 athletes and 30 staff. He also played an instrumental role in Gore Mountain hosting major alpine ski events on its FIS homologated Echo Trail and USSA homologated Twister Trail.

“I am very excited and honored to become the next general manager of Gore Mountain, and look forward to becoming part of an already great team at this successful venue,” noted Bayse.

This summer, Bayse will oversee a number of capital improvement projects for the resort. They include doubling the size of Saddle Lodge, located at the top of the high-speed and recently installed Adirondack Express II, and re-designing the Northwoods Lodge, giving it extra room for the rental and repair shop and added space for children’s Mountain Adventure programs, foodservice for the Snow Sports School, and improve the arrival and registration process.  

Bayse lives in Olmstedville, N.Y. with his wife is Autumn Goerner and two daughters, Avery (12), and Sage (8).
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Bone will be a great GM!

PS Probably didn't hurt his chances, in that he was King Cuomo's personal Whitewater rafting guide during the ADK Challenges the past few summers
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Gore Pass Deadline is 8/11:

BIG THINGS ARE HAPPENING FOR 2017-2018

• Best Season Pass Prices Available Through August 11!
• Most passes now include SKI3 access to Gore, Whiteface, & Belleayre
• A built-in bonus ticket for sharing with a friend or family member!
• Another awesome lineup of passholder perks & discounts
• Financing option available
• M.A.X. Pass add-on for full season passes
• Preload your pass with money or link your credit card for easy on-mountain purchasing!
• Award-winning value as always
• Direct-to-lift convenience that you love
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
All this talk of season passes has me thinking......

Gore Countdown

I think I'll start inventorying my gear this weekend, over a cold beer on the patio.....
1 ... 3132333435