Gore Conditions

692 messages Options
1234 ... 70
MikePom MikePom
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Gore Conditions

The games are about to begin.........sharpen thy boards.
Petronio Petronio
Reply |

Re: Gore Conditions

Just flurries, but the mere fact that white stuff may fall does warm the cockles of my heart . . .

Petronio
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

2" at 1900.
"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Marcski Marcski
Reply |

That could be enough if you have some beater XCDs!
snoloco snoloco
Reply |

They replaced the gondola haulrope this summer.  It had it's gearbox rebuilt in 2014.  
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Re: Whiteface Conditions

In reply to this post by MikePom
snoloco wrote
However, after experiencing Gore's opening weekend last year (which was about the most pitiful excuse of a WROD that I ever saw, with rocks and mud everywhere), I'd be skeptical of going back.
I don't get it didn't you vote for earliest possible opening?

So you want the mountain managers to go all out in early season marginal conditions, but then not open if it is not up to your standards, or give away free lift tickets or what? What do you want?  What would you have done last year at Gore?

"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
snoloco snoloco
Reply |

They didn't groom it properly and that's why all the rocks were exposed.  There was a bunch of snow that was still in piles and hadn't been pushed onto the trail.  I remember Matt said that it was one and done for him that day.

I probably would have done a better job grooming and that's pretty much it.
snoloco snoloco
Reply |

Ski areas have to do whatever they can given the weather conditions.  I just don't think that Gore put out the best possible product in the given scenario.

Regardless, this is a Whiteface thread.  I will continue to hold out hope that I get to ski before Thanksgiving, and that I get to start the season at Whiteface.  Due to being further north and having better snowmaking in relation to the amount of terrain, Whiteface is almost always the better choice early season for someone that can get to both.  They also open up more challenging terrain earlier than Gore which is also a plus.  You can't beat being able to ski 2500 vertical in one run on opening day, which is usually what they try for.

snoloco snoloco
Reply |

In reply to this post by snoloco
Last year, Gore opened with Showcase and AE2, adding Sunway-Quicksilver later.  Before then, they always opened with the gondola serving Foxlair-Sunway-Quicksilver.  Are they going to open with the AE2 every year from now on, or was that just what they did last year?
Snowballs Snowballs
Reply |

In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
They replaced the gondola haulrope this summer.
What's some thing that cost, any idea Sno ?
1234 ... 70