Gore Conditions

692 messages Options
1 ... 56575859606162 ... 70
MikePom MikePom
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Gore Conditions

I can never understand the value that they place on broadcasting expansive terrain being open, only to keep everything shut down.  

I've learned to live with it and not let it bother me, but you would think that by now, whatever the disconnect is between marketing and operations it would have been resolved a long time ago.  No such luck.  

On a brighter note, if the forecast holds they could pick some fresh snow, possibly a foot!  Nice.....

sudsnbumps sudsnbumps
Reply |

sig, that's a bit rough on the employees,,,why didn't you poach...if you look at it another way, maybe it's better that the masses don't go in and scrape it to the rocksKept you out
SummerSucks!
sig sig
Reply |

sudsnbumps wrote
sig, that's a bit rough on the employees,,,why didn't you poach...if you look at it another way, maybe it's better that the masses don't go in and scrape it to the rocksKept you out
too funny. yes it did. i can't imagine it was any good.
Darkside Shaman Darkside Shaman
Reply |

sig wrote
sudsnbumps wrote
too funny. yes it did. i can't imagine it was any good.
Dude, really??? Thanks for being a whiny Snochoad, as the glades on the Darkside were all open yesterday and they skied great
Ski More at Old Gore!  
Spongeworthy Spongeworthy
Reply |

In reply to this post by MikePom
MikePom wrote
I can never understand the value that they place on broadcasting expansive terrain being open, only to keep everything shut down.
I always assume that Gore has a legit reason for not opening or closing any particular glade. For instance, yesterday I saw only one patroller. One patroller simply can't cover them all.

It's quite a different issue for the website to continue to list glades as open that are currently closed or did not open at all. The wife encountered a really pissed-off skier yesterday who came up to ski all those "open" glades. I totally get why he was so angry.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
sig sig
Reply |

In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
Dude, really??? Thanks for being a whiny Snochoad, as the glades on the Darkside were all open yesterday and they skied great

my comments may be a little harsh but what kind of effort went into the snow report? did they confer with ski patrol about conditions for the next day or did they just copy and paste yesterdays snow report? i love gore and realize being state run is the best thing for it. i am more frustrated with the thaw freeze than anything else. all good things must come to an end. spring skiing here we come.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

In reply to this post by MikePom
How is Gore looking today?
GoreMountainLodge GoreMountainLodge
Reply |

Pretty amazing on the groomers today.  GS turns all the way.   The snowcats did a good job of churning the 2" of yesterday's  snow into the slopes.  Get it while it lasts!
MikePom MikePom
Reply |

I often wear a hat, I picked it up in London, felt, warm, casual, great in the snow.  Its a special hat.  Today, I'm taking that hat off to the folks at Gore that take care of that mountain.  Sometimes they are able to rise above adversity and, in spite of everything that mother nature throws at them, are able to provide exceptional skiing.

We skied Whiteface Saturday.  It was unimpressive.  Despite what we anticipated in terms of snow, the mountain was hard in all terms.  First run we dropped off the headwall of Skyward and it was what I would describe as extremely technical.  Below on Lower was fresh snow, but what a price to pay to get to it.  I saw a poor woman take a small child under her legs and go over the high side mashing her shoulder into the ice......the look in her face as she winced in pain was hurtful.

Today, we skied Gore.  Maybe I am jaded, but I have to say that all things considered, it was amazing.  Cold at the summit and windy but it skied good.  After summiting we headed down to Burnt Ridge.  Sagamore skied great especially on the edge.  Echo was firm and fast.  But compared with Whiteface, Gore was great.

There is a lot of snow on the mountain and I know there is rain coming, but I have a sensation that there is going to be some great spring skiing this year.

PaoloPaolo on The Rumor
Paolo catching air on The Rumor in April 2013
YUKON CORNELIUS YUKON CORNELIUS
Reply |

MikePom wrote
...But compared with Whiteface, Gore was great.
In defense of Whiteface, Gore was also that bad on Saturday. Some time and grooming made things a lot more fun on Sunday. That being said, I'm ready for some sunshine and Spring corn.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
1 ... 56575859606162 ... 70