Gore Conditions

563 messages Options
1 ... 47484950515253 ... 57
Darkside Shaman Darkside Shaman
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Gore Conditions

sudsnbumps wrote
I left at 10:30 today.  Very little grooming and everything set up.  Skiable but barely.  I skied yesterday and thought if it din't go below freezing it would be just as amazing...not
Yup another piss poor effort by management to not groom. Just goes to show it doesn't matter who's in charge, it's the same old bullshit...
Ski More at Old Gore!  
MikePom MikePom
Reply |

Aren't we lucky the mountain is still open?  

What we really need is some nice warm spring weather to soften up the mountain and generate some hearty corn snow....

Right now...Johnsburg...altitude 1,500 feet and its been pelting ice all morning....much better than rain...not as good as snow....but at least it's base preservation......going to burn some old ski's today and pray for 50 degrees and sunny next Saturday....still hoping to harvest some of that Northeast Sweet Corn...

TheGreatAbyss TheGreatAbyss
Reply |

Do we think upper mountain will be open next weekend, or will it most likely be just a few trails on the lower?  Haven't been in a while and not sure about the coverage on Uncas.

Too bad Gore isn't set up to get people straight to the top.  Maybe the next capital investment will be to extend the Gondy back to the summit to enable spring turns on Chats, Hawkeye, Rumor and Lies through May.   I'll keep dreaming :)

Harvey Harvey
Reply |

It would be cool to be able to download, but I do like the Gondi as is.

If anyone local can keep me informed about snowfall, it looks like something fell last night. The mountain won't report on snow when they are closed.

http://nyskiblog.com/directory/weather-data/gore-mountain-snow-totals/2017-2018/
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
x10003q x10003q
Reply |

Harvey wrote
It would be cool to be able to download, but I do like the Gondi as is.

If anyone local can keep me informed about snowfall, it looks like something fell last night. The mountain won't report on snow when they are closed.

http://nyskiblog.com/directory/weather-data/gore-mountain-snow-totals/2017-2018/
117 inches of snow.

That is a sad total. 
NorEaster27 NorEaster27
Reply |

100 less than whiteface this year
NorEaster27 NorEaster27
Reply |

Season snow totals:

Gore:  117 Inches
Whiteface:     217 Inches
Killington: 224 Inches
Stowe:  264 Inches
Hoser Hoser
Reply |

What's Bell and Platt. as comparison?
MikePom MikePom
Reply |

In reply to this post by NorEaster27
Gores accessibility on the south rim of the Adirondack dome though great for skiers is, with the new world order (Global Warming) punishing in terms of snow totals.  

It’s apparent that a comprehensive evaluation of resources, in terms of snowmaking and its distribution on the mountain should take place.

If Gore management were to leverage snow making and access in terms of getting skiers to the mountain and then to the upper mountain, and market themselves as having the longest ski season in NYS, maybe it would be a win win for everyone.  

I never liked the new Gondi.  Still don’t.  It should have been a chair. The old red gondola ride from the base lodge to the summit was magical.  I loved it.  Big mountain all the way.  And this time of year they could easily run Rumor into late May.  

Imagine that.....The Rumor Glacier.....deepest base in NYS....
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
117 inches of snow.

That is a sad total.
It's close to average for Gore. Since 2008 we have the average, not counting this season, as 121 inches:

http://nyskiblog.com/directory/weather-data/gore-mountain-snow-totals/annual-average/

If you accept what I call the marketing average of 150" then it's 78% of average, about on par with Stowe at 81%.

Whitefaces' marketing average is 201 I believe?

http://nyskiblog.com/directory/weather-data/eastern-ski-area-snowfall-averages/new-york/

Whiteface skiers how would you rate the season on a scale of 1-10 with Scotty's 2001 as a 10?

Back on Gore for a second, they recorded 115 in 14-15 and most of us agreed it was a pretty good season with at least 6 weeks with a warm up or rain.  As always, the devil is in the details.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
1 ... 47484950515253 ... 57