Gore Conditions

38 messages Options
MikePom MikePom
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Gore Conditions

10 Reasons why I know I'm a ski addict:

1.  I routinely read the NY Ski Blog all summer long.

2.  The only reason I use Instagram is to follow skiing feeds.

3.  I never put my boot bag away.

4.  I keep my skis out in my Dining Room all year long.

5.  I don't put my Christmas decorations away until mid June because I'm too busy skiing.

6.  I only listen to my ski play list, and when I do I imagine myself carving magnificent turns on my Monoski.

7.  My screen saver on my computer is comprised of 10 years or more of my best ski pics and frame grabs.

8.  For me, the first day of winter is August 1st.

9.  I'm designing my own Monoski and want to start my own ski company.

10. I keep a timer running on my phone to constantly remind me of how long I have to wait until Gore opening Day!

Gore Opening Day
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Re: Gore Conditions

First Pass Deadline for ORDA is tomorrow.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
MikePom MikePom
Reply |

Passes acquired.  

I believe they introduced a new category for 20 Something.  I don't recall seeing that last year, perhaps I'm mistaken.

Also, I like the installment option, when you buy for a family of 5-6 its a real plus.

If anyone is interested in some relaxing reading over the next few months, the 2017 amendment to the 2002 Gore Mountain Unit Managment Plan is available on the DEC web site.

It clarifies some of the discussion that took place last week about the Hudson chair "realignment" and contains a number of other interesting items.

It's obvious that NYS plans on ramping up Gore and making it a lot more than what it is today.  It will be interesting to see this unfold, to say the least.  

In my personal opinion, I still believe they should focus on exploiting what they've already created before trying to expand.  But what do I know, I'm just a ski bum.

MikePom MikePom
Reply |

Try this link for the DEC....sorry about that....

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/gore2018ump.pdf
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

Half of Cirque Glades destroyed
Johnnyonthespot Johnnyonthespot
Reply |

Say it isn't so.
MikePom MikePom
Reply |

So I've not had a chance to fully digest this document, its quite voluminous.  Harvey (or anyone else) if you can help shed some light it might help.

What you've posted is "2017 New Managment Actions".

What frightens me, scares the shit out of me actually, is the "Previously Approved Actions, Not Yet Constructed" plans.  Does anyone know if there is a long range strategy to implement this plan?

Brace yourself:

- Barkeater gets clear cut with a new trail that splinters off it through Boreas, also clear cut (note I say clear cut the document says it becomes a "Trail", so not sure how to achieve that without clear cutting, more or less).
- Cirque gets clear cut.
- Tahawus Glade gets clear cut
- Tahawus and Sleeping Bear are widened and no longer trails, more like slopes.
- High Pines Glade, clear cut into Topridge at the lift crossing.
- Twister Glade gets clear cut.
- Quicksilver gets straightened out.
- Ski Bowl Glade gets cut and turned into a trail, along with Hudson.
- Looks like new wide slope cut in, between Moxam and 46er, appears that JJ's Glade gets nuked.

And a whole lot more.

SO....I'm hoping that my cursory review of this is just a load of nonsense and I've just not read the documentation correctly.

BUT....I really want to know, who the brilliant minds thinking this stuff up??  I mean why would, in your wildest dreams ever, ever, ever even consider turning Barkeater into a trail?  Or for that matter any of the stuff I've outlined above???

Please don't consider me an alarmist, or a kook, I just want to be educated.

HELP!!

Oh and yes, they are showing some wood thrashing to connect Upper and Lower Steilhang
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

I have been tracking this since the proposal came out, wrote several letters to the DEC. This is a railroad job. They are going to destroy some great back country skiing as well as the glades mentioned. All I can hope is that it takes them beyond my remaining life to execute.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
MikePom MikePom
Reply |

So I guess I'm not reading the document wrong and this is really the long term plan.  

I feel ill.