5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Mtn, NY: 12/19/10

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ski Day 6: Met up with Duck, in the Gondi line. Great ski partner. We snagged a run off the front side...

Next time up it was  down to the Straightbrook side. Riding the chair we eyed up Lies.  Duck told me it was fantastic most of the day Saturday, until late in the day, when the downhill side of the biggest whales got slick.

Ran into Danzilla and the three of us hit Hawkeye. Twas carveable, especially early...

The bumpfield on Lies was like I've never seen it.  My first run down was harder than most of the runs I've ever had on Rumor. Later when I hit it again, it was much softer but still had some very tricky parts.  I ran into the Shaman halfway down, and that boy absolutely spanked it.  I was in serious awe of his skillz.

Topridge was definitely worth a run....

Major progress on the DarkSide with Lower Steilhang and more in good shape.  (More on Xmas terrain status later.)

Headwaters ...

and Sunway definitely had the best snow...

Who else skied?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mtn, NY: 12/19/10

Adk Jeff
I'm pretty sure Lies was great on Saturday, but I skipped it when I skied on Sunday.  We found very good overall conditions however, and a welcome increase in the amount of terrain available.  Even found a nice little side shot with soft natural snow conditions.  TR and more pics here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
It is easy to complain about ORDA, budgets, NY State, etc., but it struck me this weekend that one asset Gore has is an incredible team of snowmakers and groomers.  Where the rubber meets the road, these people take whatever they have to work with and turn out the best product they possibly can.  For all the ins and out of having Gore as my home mountain, the groomers and the snowmakers are the unsung heroes.  I hope they read this and know there work is valued and appreciated by one Gore regular.  The guys on the ground do an amazing job.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Goreskimom wrote
It is easy to complain about ORDA, budgets, NY State, etc., but it struck me this weekend that one asset Gore has is an incredible team of snowmakers and groomers.  Where the rubber meets the road, these people take whatever they have to work with and turn out the best product they possibly can.  For all the ins and out of having Gore as my home mountain, the groomers and the snowmakers are the unsung heroes.  I hope they read this and know there work is valued and appreciated by one Gore regular.  The guys on the ground do an amazing job.
Chuckle > When I spoke to Marc Kenyon head of Gore Snowmaking last month, he said something like "Great work you are doing Harvey!"  Later I got him alone, and asked him if he'd ever seen nyskiblog.com. He said:  "Well no. No I haven't."

Two days later I ran into him at the top of Bear, and he said "Harv! I read my first blog last night!"  So maybe the guys are watching. I'll try to send him a link to your post.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I totally agree that the Gore Snowmaking Crew are awesome.  Make sure you give them the thumbs up when you see them working their craft.  
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back