classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
104 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Vs. Whiteface - Battle Royale edition

ScottyJack
campgottagopee wrote
As for the party scene...all you guys are wrong...the REAL DEAL is the bowling alley in Saranac Lake on ladies night

Seeing you in a skirt and fu fu wig is not my idea of fun.  creepy but not fun!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
A little forum business:

ml242 has been banned.

WHAT?!?!  ml242 is banned!  THAT"S BS!  I"M BOYCOTTING!  EXPRESSION IS A FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHT!  FREEDOM!

where's DMC?

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
Harvey44 wrote
A little forum business:

ml242 has been banned.

WHAT?!?!  ml242 is banned!  THAT"S BS!  I"M BOYCOTTING!  EXPRESSION IS A FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHT!  FREEDOM!

where's DMC?

He's not banned ya dork
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Where is DMC???
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
He's not banned ya dork
Obvi CampDidn'tGetIt
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
If there is a battle Aussie wants in

This is not really a fair fight though - WF is a true expert ski mountain.  Gore is just not particularly if the trees are not open.  WF's steeps and vert are beyond compare to any other ski area in the East.  If you don't like the bottom 500 vert - there is no reason to go below mid station except the last run of the day - there still is another 3000 vert above that and it keep you away from the masses if you stay high.  The Gondi is the only lift that ever has a line so why wait for it unless its 20 below.  Gore skiers don't like WF because your girly man legs can't handle all our vert.

Gore's fatal flaw is all those fricking flat spots.  WTF were they thinking about when they put that Sagmore lift a mile of XC trail away from the rest of the mountain.  Do Gore skiers consult XC waxing guides just so you can get around the place.

How can we have a Battle roayle without Snowballs - I'm going email him to see if he wants to pipe in about the differences between WF and Gore's Parking situation.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Yea to clear it up ml wasn't BANNED. He was actually promoted to instigator in chief.  Based on the outcry, I guess my joke telling ability is lame:

Aussie you are going down.

Pretty good thread really.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
WF has held the Olympics and countless World Cup events. WHY?????
they need the ice
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
skimore wrote
campgottagopee wrote
WF has held the Olympics and countless World Cup events. WHY?????
they need the ice
that was good
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Think we need an official poll.  20 to 25 categories such as weather, parking, ski the lift lines, and other besides the normal ones we see in a ski magazine.  Friendliness of staff,  timliness of lift openings, accuracy of daily report, etc
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
We NEVER EVER bring beer or meat to whiteface and party down after skiing. NEVER.  We've never hung out until midnight with a raging bonfire either.  And we certainly wouldnt call it meatfest.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
WF wins because of the vert, upper cloudspin, hoyts high, bumps on Lookout below and low mac, skyward and the slides.  Our easy green trails make one particular friends quads burn, granted he is a golfer and doesnt exercise much, but still...
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Hoser
Whiteface Review

Wf has a serious lack of green and blue terrain.The gondola has 1 blue run that turns into "Raceway Park" with many skiers pushing Mach 1. The Face Lift only serves 1 green trail and 2 blue trails, one being the main drain of LWF and the upper mountain (Upper Valley) that can be worse than the Belt Parkway at Hunter or Brooklyn.

Then there is LWF with basically 'Gore like' expert runs of 500-800 vertical feet that drain into Northway. And god forbid if the 2 painfully slow doubles are not working and you have to yoyo to Gondola. Once you hit the bistro it is that incredibly long and boring Lower Valley to Fox. So who does the Gondola serve? No expert skiers are going to yoyo it if the doubles are working, no green skiers can use it, and there is one trail for blue skiers. Well done on an expensive lift that really has no target group.

From December to Feb the sun goes behind Little WF around lunch time turning the normal scraped and icy L Northway, Upper Valley, parts of Excelsior into dark shadow runs despite the full sun. Hopefully you are wearing your photochromatic goggles.

The Wilmington trail is a wonderful trail that is mis-rated. If the snow is good then any strong intermediate skier will have no problems and any weaker intermediate skiers should be able to get down it. But how often is it in prime condition? Throw some bumps and ice and high traffic and the trail becomes a tough run for blue skiers. I realize that there are stupid mileage limits at WF but it would have been nice to have created a blue way down to the Lookout triple rather than having to go all the way to the bottom.

For experts and strong intermediates WF is nirvana. The Summit Quad serves some of the best sustained vertical in the entire East. The Follies and Parons can even be skied by strong green skiers allowing almost all skiers to enjoy the amazing views. The exposed nature of the upper mountain does leave it vulnerable to icy, hard, windy, nasty conditions. This is part of the very hit or miss nature of WF. Add the Slides and WF is a must ski for experts.

Lookout Mountain has created a whole new expert area that really opens up WF. There is more monster sustained vertical and the trails face SE which should make them warmer and hopefully better at holding snow. The downside could be freeze thaw cycles creating very icy conditions. The Sugar Valley Glades are like icing on the cake.

My home mountain has been Gore for many years. I happen to like skiing WF as much as I like skiing Gore. My family members never want to go to WF. 25 years ago I did not even consider WF. With the huge upgrades at both Gore and WF, I would probably still choose Gore.

Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
In reply to this post by Pants
Whiteface has it Advantages.... It keeps the masses from going to Gore. More trees for us.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Raymo40 wrote
Whiteface has it Advantages.... It keeps the masses from going to Gore. More trees for us.
Dude, check the skier visit numbers.  The masses do goto Gore!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
Whiteface Review

Then there is LWF with basically 'Gore like' expert runs of 500-800 vertical feet that drain into Northway. And
Vert from Little Face summit to Base is over 2000.  Vert from Top of Mtn Run to Mid station is something like 600-800... So from top of mtn run to bistro is comparable to Gore expert runs...  

This is really fun!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by x10003q
You didn't mention Kids Kampus for beginner terrain.

Three runs, 1800 - 2000 feet long, covering approximately 275 feet of vertical, in an area completely separated from the rest of the mountain, with it's own lodge, (granted not a very good one), and access to and from the main mountain.

I don't know of too many places that offer a better learn-to-ski area.

Also, you really only seem to mention Upper & Lower Valley, with only passing mention of Easy Street & Boreen. I agree with you on Upper/Lower Valley, but the Easy Street/Boreen combination are excellent beginner trails, that are well over a mile long, covering 1300 feet of vertical. With the exception of the section between the Boreen Headwall and Ladies Bridge, there's generally not very much traffic on them, except for the 3 or 4 busiest days of the season, and they're quite wide most of the way down. These trails provide beginner skiers an excellent opportunity to advance, until they're ready to tackle Excelsior.

Actually, I rarely ski Lower Valley, which I have to agree ... sucks ... Boreen is a MUCH better trail!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
tight, tight left on upper valley is awesamo!  Same with tight right on lower cloud. All you people that hate just dont know where to ski it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Pants wrote
tight, tight left on upper valley is awesamo!
One of my favorite spots at Whiteface!

Pants wrote
Same with tight right on lower cloud.
Another favorite ... up and down out of the gully ... it's awesome over there!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
Wait. So more people go to Gore. Wonder why that is?  A mountian better suited to all kinds of skier,not just experts perhaps.