12345678 ... 50
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
Rj1972 wrote
Such a shame, but the photo shows half the problem with so few snow guns on the Iliad.

From what I could tell they had 6 fan guns and 6 to 7 regular guns going on 1 trail. How many more do you think they could possibly put on one trail that's only 900 vertical feet long and what, 40 yards wide?

They gave it all they had. To that I say FKNA! I'm ready for some Xmas Eve beers on that kickass new deck we have
One ground gun or one fan gun can usually make a 7' high pile of snow about 12 feet in diameter in a 10-12 hour period, under ideal conditions. That's roughly about 35 cubic feet of snow. However, the current temp is 28 degrees and the humidity is 86%, so the production rate will be considerably less (requires more air and less water).  Considering the groomer will pack that down to about 6" deep at the most, it is going to take about a week of straight snowmaking each night to build up a base. Greek doesn't have a week--nor do they have ideal snow making conditions (wet bulb). When I look out my window and see the quantity of snow guns on a trail at Killington, or I look at the webcams from the PA ski areas, they place considerably more than 12 snow guns on trails of comparable length.

When Greek opens later this week, they will not have a base, which is OK under the current conditions, but they really need to focus on the mountain over the next few years. The deck is wonderful, as Greek receives 300+ days of sun each year, so any losses due to the ski area not being open will be recaptured by the deck.

Come on mother nature. Give us a break.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Rj1972 wrote
Such a shame, but the photo shows half the problem with so few snow guns on the Iliad.

From what I could tell they had 6 fan guns and 6 to 7 regular guns going on 1 trail. How many more do you think they could possibly put on one trail that's only 900 vertical feet long and what, 40 yards wide?

They gave it all they had. To that I say FKNA! I'm ready for some Xmas Eve beers on that kickass new deck we have
One ground gun or one fan gun can usually make a 7' high pile of snow about 12 feet in diameter in a 10-12 hour period, under ideal conditions. That's roughly about 35 cubic feet of snow. However, the current temp is 28 degrees and the humidity is 86%, so the production rate will be considerably less (requires more air and less water).  Considering the groomer will pack that down to about 6" deep at the most, it is going to take about a week of straight snowmaking each night to build up a base. Greek doesn't have a week--nor do they have ideal snow making conditions (wet bulb). When I look out my window and see the quantity of snow guns on a trail at Killington, or I look at the webcams from the PA ski areas, they place considerably more than 12 snow guns on trails of comparable length.

When Greek opens later this week, they will not have a base, which is OK under the current conditions, but they really need to focus on the mountain over the next few years. The deck is wonderful, as Greek receives 300+ days of sun each year, so any losses due to the ski area not being open will be recaptured by the deck.

Come on mother nature. Give us a break.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Camp, instead of enjoying a few hours on the slopes dodging the crowds (Killington), you had me counting snow guns in 12  degree temperatures as they blasted my face. Haha!
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
This post was updated on .
From what I've heard, Greek will not be opening on Thursday. They are now shooting for Saturday.

Friday Update:  Now they plan to open on Sunday. My guess is they thought they might be able to make snow all day today, but mother nature said otherwise. I'm heading home from Killington tomorrow, and might give Greek a shot next weekend if they open a few more trails. Let's hope the weather is now back to normal.

Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Date:
Sunday, January 10, 2016 (All day)
$5 Day

Saw the above on Greeks website - I will avoid this potential mess. However can not find details anywhere about this event.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Meh, get there early for some hot laps that day then enjoy the entertainment from the deck
Reply | Threaded
|

northerncajun
I stopped by today to drop off some skis

They said they opening tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
For anyone who ventured to Greek today, how was it?

Were they able to make snow all day, and if so, where were the guns moved to?

Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
The snow guns have been moved over to stoic and the tower guns on Elysian Fields were going.  I couldnt tell if they were making snow on castor due to poor visibility.
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Thanks Jone.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Pretty crazy opening day at Greek Peak. As the parking lot came in view I was super happy I opted out of the day 1 ski adventure. Literally there were as many cars as there would be on a normal Sunday, they were parked easily beyond the ski patrol bridge. I was shocked! All those people on one trail, that amazes me, but I was happy for GP. Most of our crew was already at the bar by the time I got there at it was already packed. Major, major, major props out to the peeps in Trax for handling the masses. It certainly seemed to us they were completely overwhelmed and understaffed for the amount of people in there, but they handled it like pros and all had smiles on their faces.

My one buddy said his first chair up he saw 4 people walking down  
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
I heard there were a LOT of Toggenburg people there! Probably only because Tog isn't open yet. They are supposed to open Friday...
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
For sure!
Where the hell were you!?!?!
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
campgottagopee wrote
For sure!
Where the hell were you!?!?!
Memorial bowling tournament for my dad and brother.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Good grief!

Human slalom, anyone?

Next Sunday may be the same with the Ski Company $5 lift tickets.

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Where is Waldo?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
the lifts look empty except for some singles on the left one
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Congratulations Camp!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Thanks pal
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Skied GP on Thurs. 1/7/16... first time. Got there at 10:10 am. First few runs were really good, then the cover got scraped off in spots leaving rock hard blotches of white ice, here and there. Was still only 2 trails open Iliad and the beginners slope. Seems like the $3.00 beers are now $4.00.
12345678 ... 50