Re: Guess The Ski Area

campgottagopee
Smuggs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ml242
Man, I'm waiting for it because it sure looks like Stowe.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
it's taken from Smuggs looking over at $towe
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Oh, I thought we were guessing what we were looking at. Cool shot, RA. What's the one out West?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Oh, maybe we are?? I could be wrong but I'm with you in that it certainly looks like Stowe.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Brownski
I still have a pair of those x-screams....loved those when they first came out
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
It's been a long time but I have skied at Smuggs, must be why it looked familiar
campgottagopee wrote
I still have a pair of those x-screams....loved those when they first came out
I could go on all day about how much I love those skis. I bought new ones last spring but they're still at the shop waiting for bindings.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Yes! Sorry, I can see how it was confusing but I figured it would be the area I was at and taking the picture from. The ski area in the west? I'll basically give this one away with a few clues. The ski area in my photo 2. was a pretty big mountain even before the marketing team renamed it a resort. It has beautiful big sky views but they are often obscured in fog.
Reply | Threaded
|

2000yearoldskier
Great shot of the big Mt base area.All the locols miss the Alpenglow Inn in that photo it was torn down around 2005.
RA when was this taken.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Here's one for you guys to take a shot at

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Kirkwood
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by 2000yearoldskier
That photo was taken in the fall of 1994. I spent that winter there living in Bigfork. It was my first season out West, I was 19 years old.

This is picture from that winter, probably around Christmas time that I took on my first out of bounds ski experience ever. I took a lap or two on Hellroaring Peak with a bunch of older locals. I don't think anyone had any avie gear, I know I sure didn't but it worked out and there were lots of high fives at the bottom. It was a gorgeous inversion day, the first one like this I had ever seen, I was completely gaped looking out over the sea of clouds and white capped islands poking through, stellar crystals floated in the air and in the photo you can see a classic sun dog brightly lit among the snow ghosts. In a way, it changed my life forever. the next twenty years or so I had a heavy focus on spending my time searching for more moments just like this one. I was instantly hooked.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Z
Snowbird?

It looks like Utah to me and I can see a bunch of hikers on that ridge there but I can't put together the angle if it's Twin Peaks or Baldy so I'm confused.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I really think it's the cirque at Kirkwood, but it's been years since i was there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Here's one for you guys to take a shot at
To hell you ride.  Pretty sure that's Black Iron Bowl.  Those cliffs directly below the highest bump are on your right if you're skiing Mountain Quail.

* * * EDIT * * * Never mind, looking back at my photos from Telluride I don't think that's this:
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
The rocks look like that drawn outward toothy Wasatch limestone to me but it's hard sayin from the photo. It's a tough one because it doesn't show anything iconic that I recognize.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Possibly the hike up to Highlands Bowl at Aspen Highlands? I've never been there but it's the only other hike to terrain of that size I can think of that I'm not familiar with.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
It's Aspen Highlands for sure.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This thread makes me wish I had a camera back when I was bangin around in NE --- no cell phones in those days and camera's were expensive
Reply | Threaded
|

2000yearoldskier
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Great picture and story RA, sounds like the big Mt treated you OK.
I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I rolled into Whitefish in 1975, instead of failing in Vail.
1 ... 8910111213