3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hickory Ski Center, NY: 3/20/11

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ski Day 32: On our way home to the flatlands, we drove through Ye Olde Warrensburgh, and headed to Hickory.

When we got there, we found a nice surprise. Duck had heard us talking about Hickory at Gore on Saturday, and decided to round out his weekend by breaking out the teleboards and ridin the Pomas with us.

There was a nice layer of cord all across the lower mountain.  And not a track on it when we arrived at 10am.

Hickory makes Plattekill look crowded...

We rode the Tbar, to Poma 2 and headed on up...

Ridge Run was in the sun and we spent a lot of time there...

Duck's got style and grace regardless of what gear he's riding on...

While it did warm up above freezing, conditions on the ungroomed were firm.  I ventured onto Winfall, the only one in our group to do so.  It was lonely out there ... just me and the kids of Hickory.

We took a break at the Roost to look over the Southern Adirondack terrain and dream...

Run of the day for me was Lower Beatnik. As is my want ... I did a little meadow skipping.

Hickory is becoming my home away from home away from home.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hickory Ski Center, NY: 3/20/11

Duck T. R.
Nice trip report and pics Harv. My eyes were really opened up to Hickory,(New Yorks Mad River). It's hard to believe they skied that in the 40's on wooden skis without metal edges. I'll have to leave  Gore on a powder day next year and ski it again" On alpine gear next time".
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hickory Ski Center, NY: 3/20/11

x10003q
Excellent report. The bummer of the day was it just wasn't warm enough. The place is huge. I can't wait to return - hopefully with the same crew.