How much ground clearance do you really need?

133 messages Options
1234567 ... 14
JTG4eva! JTG4eva!
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: How much ground clearance do you really need?

Benny Profane wrote
Those and Jeeps. Dumb.

I’ll give you a chance to qualify that I s’pose, because as a general statement is kind of....dumb!

Agreed, there is an element of lameness to people buying a full size pickup or Wrangler if there is no need or intention to actually use the capabilities those vehicles provide....but for those who do there is nothing dumb about it!

Love my Wrangler in 4wd in the snow/sand/mud.....but it kinda sucks on wet roads in 2wd!!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
D.B. Cooper D.B. Cooper
Reply |

JTG4eva! wrote
Benny Profane wrote
and Jeeps. Dumb.
Love my Wrangler in 4wd in the snow/sand/mud.....but it kinda sucks on wet roads in 2wd!!
I guess Benny doesn't like fun.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Or maybe he was referring to people who buy a truck and don't use it as a truck.  I bet camp's bed has some dings in it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
JTG4eva! JTG4eva!
Reply |

Probably, Harvey.....but that isn’t what he said , hence my allowing him to amend or qualify his statement!
Peter Minde Peter Minde
Reply |

In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Recalling a trip to the garden center some years ago.  I put 15 40-pound bags of topsoil and mulch into the back of the Subaru Legacy wagon I had then.  Next to me was a Ford F350 dualie rear axle, with one of those funny covers over the bed.  Guy and his girlfriend get into it having bought a pot of snapdragons.

I can't justify owning a truck.  I'm on my 3d Subie, an Outback.  Four snow tires and a healthy dose of prudence.  It's bombproof, but not idiotproof.
JTG4eva! JTG4eva!
Reply |

Agreed....while I’ve rented a few full size pickups for use in snow on ski trips, and they were REALLY nice and handled well in the snow.....I generally have more need for passengers and luggage than hauling materials, so a truck would be hard to justify.  But they sure are nice, and a king cab in a super duty can comfortably seat 5, and with a bed cover there would be plenty of protected cargo space...
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Jeeps are SO cool

Huge fan of the Rubicon --- excited to see the new truck

At the end of the day people should drive whatever they want too. Vehicles are expensive, you only go around once, so why not enjoy the hell out of what you drive. I love chicks that drive trucks --- my girls sports a Chev 1500 LTZ
x10003q x10003q
Reply |

We had audi sedans and wagons for the 25 years we owned at Gore and we never felt the need for ground clearance. Since the A4 based all road wagon was too small for my family, we migrated to a VW Touareg. Now that we mostly ski in VT, we am happier that we have some ground clearance. The snow is deeper and at times, not plowed. I would also rather be driving a truck based suspension on the many dirt roads we now drive on in VT. Your ground clearance needs can only be answered by you.

Some cars/suvs that have AWD that have not been mentioned:
Buick Regal sedan and TourX wagon. These are somewhat full sized at about 193 inches long.
Ford Fusion awd
Kia Sportage
Mitsubishi Outlander
Hyundai Tuscon and Santa Fe
Dodge Challenger/Charger
Chrysler 300 awd
Chevy Trax/Buick Encore

Hoser Hoser
Reply |

RAV4 with right tires goes anywhere up down and around the Dacks in all conditions.  Many times ahead of the plows especially on weekend mornings.  
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
campgottagopee wrote
PeeTex wrote
I forgot to mention, lately I was thinking about a Land Rover, but within the past few weeks I have been considering the Jaguar F pace, when your looking at the last car you are likely to buy - you can consider pulling out all the stops.
Why not the X5 M ? You better hold on to your buttocks regarding depreciation  when it comes to the Rover/Jag

If it were me I'd look at the  QX80 but I like full-size
I drove an X5 for two years. It’s not really the way I roll normally (won a sales contest) but I can tell you for sure you will enjoy driving it. Absolutely solid in the snow, fast as hell of course and nothing broke or malfunctioned in the 30k I had it for. I’m an American mini-van/pickup guy so getting used to the German-performance-driving-feel of a BMW took a little while but after the break-in period I loved it
I have never driven a Beamer, I’ll take a look. I like the Jag because you can get a diesel. Not worried about depreciation because at my age this is likely the last car I will buy for myself. I will need to go down to the big city and start looking. I’ve been a Subi guy for 20 years, great cars - you can’t kill them, I have 3 on the road, one approaching 200k miles, still has the original clutch. However I have always liked Jags, Rovers and Diesels. Never been a truck guy, have a nice 4x8 utility trailer for those times I need a truck but have been limited in tow weight since I got rid of my Exploder.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
1234567 ... 14