How much ground clearance do you really need?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
188 messages Options
1234567 ... 10
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How much ground clearance do you really need?

Benny Profane
billyymc wrote
Benny Profane wrote
The Lotus was British. Colin Chapman stirs in his grave.
And now, it's Chinese.

As is Volvo.

Millions of upper class wasps from New England stir in their graves.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
  And the deer? Strap that thing to the hood of your car, like your grandad did. He didn't need no 60,000 dollar Queencab to get through life.
No Benny --- they used horses. Same horse he rode to work.
Reply | Threaded
|

Icecoastchef
Wanna buy me a roof box, Benny?

Yeah the WRX hatch hasn’t been made since 2013 model year, but they still make an Impreza hatch that’s just as good for the purpose of skiing. The Crosstrack is nice too if you want a bit more ground clearance (although still has base Impreza engine which is pretty mediocre).

But back to the topic, this thing has gotten me through the worst conditions I would want to drive in, so I would never personally need more. As I said though, cant go off-road in the WRX whereas you could in a Jeep or a truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I hardly ever use my roofbox, it beats on my mileage and it prevents me from using my rear hatch easily. I mean you can kind of get in there but it sucks.  I'm always finding a way to fit skis on the inside. I'd probably give it to you if you want it Ice. I keep thinking MAYBE I'll use it this year. It's Thule for square bars.

The best thing about it is you can put garbage in there and drive five hours without smelling it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Icecoastchef
Rack kills mileage too—not on its own but with skis added in I drop about 4 mpg (brutal with premium gas over time). John has the box and gets like 18 mpg, but that’s because mostly because it’s a wrangler aka the most impractical car ever.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Icecoastchef
Well, cmon, dude, boxes cost, what, 600 or so these days. I'm working on 17 years with mine, with a few cheap repairs (thank you, gorilla tape!). How much have you spent on your ski quiver? That car? Lift tickets? Beer? Cmon, priorities, priorities, man. They're your skis. Second only to your boots. Besides, it's a very secure ski storage locker that you never have to take your skis out of for the whole winter.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Icecoastchef
Benny Profane wrote
 Besides, it's a very secure ski strange locker that you never have to take your skis out of for the whole winter.
Don’t they rust if you leave them in there wet?

I haven’t had any real issues with grime, etc from leaving on the rack. I just wipe them down with a towel if things get particularly nasty.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Nope, rust is minimal.

I could never live without a box. (Cue the wise ass Who fans)
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I hardly ever use my roofbox, it beats on my mileage and it prevents me from using my rear easily. I mean you can kind of  get in there but it sucks.  I'm always finding a way to fit skis on the inside. I'd probably give it to you if you want it Ice. I keep thinking MAYBE I'll use it this year. It's Thule for square bars.

The best thing about it is you can put garbage in there and drive five hours without smelling it.

No, you know what the best thing is? When you're driving back to your ski condo with an order of hot Mexican food and cold beer, you don't have to make the grand decision. Keep the car ice cold for the beer, or crank the heater for the burritos. Beer up in box, crank heater. Ouila!
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I had a rack like yours it was worse for mileage than the box.  My CRV is killing it mileage-wise lifetime over 11,000 miles I'm over 31. I like that.

With my wife out of action this season and my daughter all in on gymnastics, my skis been riding inside with me no prob all year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Harvey wrote
I hardly ever use my roofbox, it beats on my mileage and it prevents me from using my rear easily.
This is a quality typo.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Further thoughts on ground clearance and Subarus.  Diamond Notch, one of the most beautiful hikes in the Catskills.  The last 100 meters to the parking spot is so nasty, I was petrified bringing my Legacys in there.  Sure I was gonna rip out a muffler or oil pan.

I'm on my 3d Subie, this one an Outback bought used w/ 64k miles.  I tend to drive them until the wheels fall off.  I take good care of them, but every last one, I've had to replace the catalytic converters.  Anyone else have this experience?
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Harvey wrote
I had a rack like yours it was worse for mileage than the box.  My CRV is killing it mileage-wise lifetime over 11,000 miles I'm over 31. I like that.

With my wife out of action this season and my daughter all in on gymnastics, my skis been riding inside with me no prob all year.
Have you had problems with the inside of your windows frosting up? I like to keep snow out of my car interior because of that. But, I bought a remote stater in my present Subaru, and that solved that problem. After the box, I will never live without a remote starter. Best 500 bucks I have ever spent. But, always have t installed by the dealer, not one of those cheesy corner shops.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Icecoastchef wrote
Benny Profane wrote
 Besides, it's a very secure ski strange locker that you never have to take your skis out of for the whole winter.
Don’t they rust if you leave them in there wet?

I haven’t had any real issues with grime, etc from leaving on the rack. I just wipe them down with a towel if things get particularly nasty.
Turn those skis around and you may find less grime built up
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
If you want a small SUV that's fine, just plan on trading it on after you put a few miles on it.
Ha..no. Not to open a can of worms but the people I know who have to replace trannys early aren't people driving CRVs, RAV4s, and Subarus. Just sayin. Your observations may be different. Everyone I've known the the past 10 years who has had early tranny failure has been driving an "American" made car.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Hmmmm....Benny busts on peeps for having “unnecessary” trucks and Jeeps, yet professes his adoration for equally (or more) “unnecessary” cargo boxes and remote starters. Interesting!  

Me....I have a Jeep (not at all unnecessary for going topless off-road!) Wrangler (impractical....perhaps, but fun as hell) with a remote starter (hardly ever use it) and a Thule cargo box (best car accessory ever...spring, summer, winter and fall).

I get lazy sometimes a leave the skis in the box for extended periods.  Yes, a little rust but it skis off quick.  It’s not the grime from sitting in the rack you can wipe off that you have to worry about, it’s what gets into your bindings.  Oh, and eats at your bases if you go tips forward!  The box is just as useful for summer pursuits as it is for skiing.  Also, you can put anything up there with the skis....luggage, food, booze, etc.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
I forgot to mention, lately I was thinking about a Land Rover, but within the past few weeks I have been considering the Jaguar F pace, when your looking at the last car you are likely to buy - you can consider pulling out all the stops.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Nope, I consider a box and remote stater very necessary items in my life for the winter. Use them all the time.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Ethan Snow wrote
If you want a small SUV that's fine, just plan on trading it on after you put a few miles on it.
Ha..no. Not to open a can of worms but the people I know who have to replace trannys early aren't people driving CRVs, RAV4s, and Subarus. Just sayin. Your observations may be different. Everyone I've known the the past 10 years who has had early tranny failure has been driving an "American" made car.
 I guess it depends on how you define "premature." I do agree the CRVs and RAV4s seem to have a good track record, but even simple front end parts are astronomically more expensive than those on American made vehicles.  I'm just personally not a fan of crossovers. For me, it's either a small car, or a truck. There is no need for the in-between.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Well, I guess that explains why there's like a zillion of them on the road. Those marketing people must be just pulling stuff out of their backside.
funny like a clown
1234567 ... 10