Is this the best we can do

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Is this the best we can do

PeeTex

Corruption in NYS is systemic. Of all the things one might remember when reading a book like McCullough's "the Great Bridge" I remember not the engineering feats of Roebling's great cabled bridge but rather the corruption going on in Albany at the time. Then following that with Robert Caro's study of Robert Moses in "The Power Broker" one just has to shake their head and wonder how we get out of this mess of greed and corruption. Then I see this on the news the other night:
http://www.longislandpress.com/2014/08/02/museum-of-political-corruption-proposed-in-albany/

Maybe there is light at the end of this long and dark tunnel.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Is this the best we can do

Snowballs
Banned User
Good find PT. Yep, things are bad. I think they won't change until the crap hits the fan, ie I suspect there's a huge crash coming to America. Besides the astronomical debt of Uncle Sam, his state nephews and various cites, many, many things are not fully funded and face huge outlays in the very near future. Sadly, I suspect we the people don't even realize 1/4 of the money we owe.

This crap Cuomo pulled with the Moreland Commission is flat out wrong and very, very suspicious. It should be headline news and no doubt cries for federal investigation. Most people don't even know what he did.

Dare I say it ? I will, I will ! If he was a republican, the national  media would be all over it.

Another piece of crap he pulled was the hocus pocus, voila! the deficit is gone ! 11 -15 billion dollar deficit vanished ! No tax increases or major cuts involved. Nope. Amazing considering any pre-Cuomo talk of dealing with it led instantly to mass demonstrations and mega media blitzes by those who would be effected by the necessary cuts.

So how does one make 11-15 billion deficit disappear without raising taxes or slashing spending ?

Move the borrowing off the state legislature's table where it's visible and have the agencies/authorities do it where it's not visible !

Side note, Roebling took advantage of gov corruption and ordered cable twice as strong as was spec'd. Worked out good cause it's credited with making the bridge last longer.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
From what I've seen NY has not cornered the market on corruption.  It makes sense that each are more aware of corruption in their own state as it seems like it's the media (newspapers mostly) that uncover it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harv,

I lived in a number of states, yes there is political pandering and dirty deals but NYS has it down to a science honed to perfection over the last 200 years.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
PeeTex wrote
Harv,

I lived in a number of states, yes there is political pandering and dirty deals but NYS has it down to a science honed to perfection over the last 200 years.
http://www.albanymuseumofpoliticalcorruption.org/
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Sweet.  My work got a mention and link in there!  Free marketing!

Also, being a former Illinois resident... NYS doesn't hold a candle to Chicago.  If they think "Chicago has deep dish", what Chicago actually has is the last two governors in federal prison for corruption.  You want to see a state that does not care about anything but one county just look at Illinois.  They are actually trying to cease teachers pensions to fund the government.