Jan 25-28....Open to Suggestions!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
54 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Jan 25-28....Open to Suggestions!

JTG4eva!
Utah, Colorado and Tahoe are all getting the goods this week!

I’m booked for Whistler Blackcomb next week, Fri-Sun, after business in L.A. on Thursday.  Only thing not booked yet is a backcountry day. There’s an experienced backcountry adventure group that goes out on Saturdays.  With the Whistler backcountry lift ticket (they don’t allow uphill travel and access to adjacent backcountry in the Garibaldi Park is via the limited lift ticket) the day will cost about $275 US, plus tip.

Redeye home.  I may book round trip shuttles from/to Vancouver  airport for less than $50, rather than rent a car.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by jjp24
jjp24 wrote
It’s gonna be good in Utah tomorrow! Harvey, I noticed that there isn’t an all purpose Wasatch conditions thread on here. Would it be cool if I broke one out?
Definitely.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Moment of truth time.........and it’s in!

With steady improvement the last week, I still have 3 and a half more days for the ankle to get a little better before I make turns.  It’s gonna hurt like a mofo after skiing hard all day, but it’ll be a go!  The right combo of pain killers and booze should take care of any ill effects.....
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
It looks all better to me bro
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Ok, with that hurdle cleared and a backcountry day booked for Saturday it’s on to real first world problems!

With two days of exploring (hopefully) the in-bounds glaciers and alpine steeps and one day of touring should I bring the beefier big mountain Nordica El Capo with the Barons, or take the lighter (also 107 under foot) setup of the K2 Marksman with the Dynafits?

Leaning toward the Marksman/Dynafit setup because they are so much fun and held up just fine in-bounds at Squaw and Baker.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Booked the Fresh Tracks breakfast for Friday and Sunday mornings.  For $18 a day you get a 7:15 ride up the Whistler Village Gondola, a full buffet breakfast, and a couple three runs off the Emerald Express before the masses make it up from the valley at opening.  With a foot of snow or more currently forecast from Saturday afternoon into Sunday morning it will be nice to have a jump on the crowd!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
JTG4eva! wrote
Booked the Fresh Tracks breakfast for Friday and Sunday mornings.  For $18 a day you get a 7:15 ride up the Whistler Village Gondola, a full buffet breakfast, and a couple three runs off the Emerald Express before the masses make it up from the valley at opening
I did something like that in Austria three years ago, except you do the T2B run first, then go back to mid-mountain for breakfast.

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
get in line about 6:30 its gets long.  That breakfast buffet is really good.  They are people movers out there for sure.   Make sure you have your plan of attack for the day and go get it early.  they have guided tours each day that are pretty good as well.  I would jump the Gondi over to Blackcomb and go way skiers right and hit those trails/glades if you got snow.  At the end of the day when you are think you are done and are going to ski to the bottom skip it and take another run up high and take the Gondi down.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Ahhhh....

This actually having to do business in L.A. sucks....but on the way!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Look where the kids have there racers practice, I forget. It's not far from where the tours start. Around 1030 when the shit you planned  is getting tracked that will still be untouched. They cancel practice so no one is there.. Our tour guide showed my wife and I that little spot. You might want to go on a mountain tour. They group them out. Our group went out on a glacier and I met some pretty cool skiers that I skied with the rest of the day.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I can imagine in daylight and on dry roads the Sea to Sky is a gorgeous, fun ride.  Tonight.....we’ll, hopefully the sometimes blinding snow I hit over the last 40km bodes well for conditions tomorrow!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
what a ride it is..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
You know what......it reminds me a lot of 410 put to Crystal.  I love roads into the mountains like that.

Of course 410 has moose crossing signs, and the Sea to Sky has beware of bears!
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Sea to Sky during a clear day is amazing. Did it back in April 2011 under clear skies and it was amazing! So was the skiing!

Your work trip out there better aligned with the PNW storm cycle then mine did in early Jan. I still had a blast though!

Reports are its dumping out there now. Get after it! While you do say a prayer for the great Warren Miller. May he Rest In Pow.