January thaw - the sequel

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
42 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The most depressing forecast EVER.

JasonWx
 Yep Wed is the worst day..High winds temps close to 60 in the Mtns...After that more seasonable.
"Peace and Love"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Open snow has dropped the snow off the backside of this system from their forecast

Roger Hill is calling for some snow for Sunday and early next week.

Crossing my fingers and toes
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
How bad do you think this weekend will be once those seaonable temps come back after the (weak) snowpack gets soaked?  
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
UGLY!!!

off piste will be bullet proof..maybe some relief next week
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

skisheep
How horrible is Hunter going to be after the rain? Does their snowmaking allow them to get back in shape for the weekend?

-skisheep
ORDA and New England Passholder. If it's fast, it's probably fun.
2014-2015 season days
Whiteface: 2
Sunday River: 4
Loon: 2
Hunter: 1
Belleayre: 1
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
matt, what glasses are you looking through? looks good after wed???!!! all i see is hockey rink surfaces or worse, brown. march used to be a historically good snow month but not lately. we're getting close to praying for a valentine's day miracle or winter will behind us.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by skisheep
if hunter turns on the guns, they will be in tip top shape in a day or two

i have plans to be there on saturday
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by frk
frk wrote
matt, what glasses are you looking through? looks good after wed???!!! all i see is hockey rink surfaces or worse, brown. march used to be a historically good snow month but not lately. we're getting close to praying for a valentine's day miracle or winter will behind us.
Looks good as far as snowmaking temperatures with occasional flurries. What killed us last year wasn't the rain, it was the consistent warm temperatures which didn't even allow for snowmaking. Why would the only time it could possibly snow in the 28 days of February and the 31 days of March be on Valentine's Day? What kind of weird meteorology do you practice?

I still don't understand everyone freaking out here. There used to be a sign at Sugarloaf that said "Sugarloaf's snowiest months: #1: March #2: April #3: February." We haven't even reached the meat of the season yet. December and January are for base building, February, March, and April are for skiing. Everybody knows that if you're planning a winter vacation, you plan for March, not December or January. March has always had the most consistent snow. And if global warming is changing that, February is going to have the most consistent snow. Not January. Not December.

You people need to relax.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: January thaw - the sequel

JasonWx
You know what they say, "it's darkest before the dawn"
well it's going to pitch black tonight. but the future looks brighter.

Very heavy rain and high winds in conjunction with temps approaching 60+,will really do a lot of damage from the Cats to the Dacks.. Then we return to seasonable temps with clipper type systems every few days.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: January thaw - the sequel

campgottagopee
We've been hit hard here in CNY, as in gully washer hard. That's the bad news, the good news is the LE machine is going to get started tomorrow night with snow making temps retuning too. Should be back in the game by the weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Didn't really rain here (near Whiteface) at all last night which was really good news.  It is sunny and 41 here now.  Unfortunately there is a big nasty looking band of rain on the radar moving this way.  

Its going to be pretty bullet proof for the Hovey this weekend at Whiteface.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by frk
frk wrote
Give one of the smaller places in the LE zones a try maybe

ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 5 INCHES THURSDAY...4 TO 7 INCHES THURSDAY
  NIGHT...AND 4 TO 7 INCHES FRIDAY...LEADING TO STORM TOTALS OF 7
  TO 16 INCHES IN THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=43.6272915&lon=-75.41128960000003&site=all&smap=1&searchresult=Turin%2C%20NY%2013473%2C%20USA
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by DackerDan
DackerDan wrote
Coach Z wrote
Its going to be pretty bullet proof for the Hovey this weekend at Whiteface.
Hope your son does well if you are putting him in The Hovey. We are not going.

BTW - daughter skied the Kombi at Gore beautifully, but slow. So I guess in proper NSSA lingo - the performance was good, the results were poor. She did miss a gate in the Slalom and had to hike, from the video she lost about 15sec - if we took that off her time her results would have been good as well. I asked her how she felt about the day - her response was "I was happy with the execution, the rest is a work in progress". Great attitude.
My son came in 2nd in his Kombi - missing the win by 0.01 sec.  I asked him about if he told his friends in school about that and he said he had not but did tell them all about his cafateria tray sledding session after the race.  He has his priorities in check.

The Hovey is going to be ugly for some kids not used to racing the pitch on Drapers and rock hard ice.  There will be lots of DNF's I suspect.  I heard that they dropped one of the older age classes out of the Hovey this year so they will not be having to finish in the dark like they did last year.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
On tuesday I had about 18-24" of snow in my yard / forest.  This morning there is zero to 2".
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Yup same FN scenario here ,  i am  BUMMED out , may have to go to Plan B.  ugh !!
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
nice to see some blue back on the radar!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
It is nuking what appears to be lake effect from the radar here.  We have gotten an inch in the last 20 mins.  Hope it keeps up.