163 messages Options
12345 ... 9
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Jay Peak Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
MattChuck is there. I guess it's all a matter of priorities.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Harvey44 wrote
MattChuck is there. I guess it's all a matter of priorities.

So sad but true - we should cry over a beer sometime.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Just walked in the door after the long drive home from JP. A very nice three days on the slopes. Despite this weekend being the changeover from Quebec to Ontario March Breaks, even today the crowds today were not too bad, unless you wanted to ride the tram after 10 am. Thursday and Friday were surprisingly crowd-free.

Snow? Well, there is very good coverage and all runs are open. Having said that, it is winter-changing-to-spring conditions. Green and Blue groomers are in great shape; a few bare spots and rocks are poking out here and there on natural snow runs; bumps are BIG on some runs; steep runs with snowmaking (eg. Can-Am & Haynes) are a bit glacial in the middle and the tree runs I skied had very good coverage and were surprisingly soft underfoot (North Glade is highly recommended even though the entrance does not look appealing). Bring your sharp bump skis, not your powder skis.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
sbr should ve tried to get together . was up fri with a group incl fixedheeln ,Kman.can am  & jet were rippin early .found the woods to be very fine if a bit bumped.bluebird and warm
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
freeheeln wrote
sbr should ve tried to get together . was up fri with a group incl fixedheeln ,Kman.can am  & jet were rippin early .found the woods to be very fine if a bit bumped.bluebird and warm
That's too bad, who knew? Were you with a big gang of tele skiers? Looked like a clinic, at least a dozen or so. Saw them at the top of the Jet and on that run. I was tele-ing Thursday but locked down on Friday. What a day that was!

Jay Peak summit from the top of the Montrealer trail, Friday, March 8, 2013:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
http://jonnyjay.blogspot.com/2013/03/spring-skiing-has-sprung-at-jay-peak.html

Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
This seems a bit of a stretch

Today, our Mountain Forecaster is also calling for 5 – 8 inches…  Are we going to get multiple feet?  Probably not, but are certainly looking at numbers over a FOOT, which is just fine for the middle of April
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
Did it happen???
Reply | Threaded
|

future
When is the closing date for Jay? Also what are the conditions like this late into the year? Jay is a long hike for me coming from Jersey, if anyone has any recent condition updates I'd appreciate it!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

From Facebook
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Jay Peak
Reply | Threaded
|

miker92
Welp, I'm jelly.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
(Ted sent that one to Harv and he posted under my name). Here's one I took:

Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Today was the best run on Vermonter I've ever had. Somewhere between 1-2' on the upper mountain depending on location and wind aspect. Vermonter felt like 2' deep in many places, definitely didn't hit bottom once. Excellent snow, good density for early season but still sinkable and powdery. Met MadPat's friend Lucky Luke at the summit, small world!

Water bars still in lower mountain as expected but many mid and upper mountain water bars were pretty well covered, not bad. Brushy trails still not good options. I managed to break one of my skin clips while prepping for a second skin (oops). Skin was not sticky so I tried to keep it on with maximum clip tension. Snap! Oh well, great first powder turns of the season. Totally worth waking up at quarter of five and driving four hours round trip before going into work. Definitely need to do that more often this season.

OH YEA... new Stateside Lodge is a huge sterile thing. I can deal. The new condos right off 242 at the "old" entrance? Really pushing it. Though the "new" entrance for Tramside is going to be nice. It is where the old dirt road shortcut used to be (it has been closed for a few years due to the construction). For those coming up 242 from the east, it saves over a mile of up, down, and around to get to Tramside. Looks like they paved it.

Still can't get over the new condos at the "old" entrance, practically right on 242.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Yeah, sorry we missed you, Riv, we started hiking a little past 11, got up to the top of Bonnie around 1. Did power line (I guess) until it started to get flat, then hoofed it back up to the top of the Jet and did Haynes to U.N. Awesome snow on everything. Just amazing for this time of year and no base.

I was going to make a sweet video tonight, but left my camera in Ted's new Subaru, so it'll have to be tomorrow
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Wow. Coverage must be even better than I thought if you did Powerline. Good grief. That trail is a mess or rocks and old lift junk. That is on my avoid list for early season. I wish I got my second run down Green Mountain Boys... one of my favorite early season earned turn powder at Jay. But when the snow is that good... it is not like you really need to go out of your way!

I was just getting back to my car around 11am so we must have just missed each other in the parking lot. Perhaps another time later this season!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
It was pretty gnarly underneath, but the snow was so good, we weren't complaining. We floated above almost everything anyway. The only things better than fat skis are fat rock skis. I was damn near ready to jump in the woods until Ted talked me out of it.

He went up again today. There were reports of 4-6" more overnight, so it should be pretty amazing again. He brought his good camera, so there should be some awesome pics out later.

Speaking of awesome pics, Riv, I keep refreshing The Snow Way Hoping to see a report, but haven't seen it yet. C'mon! I had to work today. Give me some stoke!
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
mattchuck2 wrote
He went up again today. There were reports of 4-6" more overnight, so it should be pretty amazing again. He brought his good camera, so there should be some awesome pics out later.
A few people that I knew and met last night in Montreal were going today. They couldn't yesterday.

I also saw Lucky Luke (and Ingrid Backstrom) last night in Montreal, he mentioned that he ran into River. Ingrid and I didn't speak this time. He did a few runs before leaving at 11.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
MadPatSki wrote
...Lucky Luke...
Is there a tale that ended with a nickname for Luke?
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
Harvey wrote
MadPatSki wrote
...Lucky Luke...
Is there a tale that ended with a nickname for Luke?
No it doesn't involve Ingrid last night. :) Maybe his gf, she was also there last night.

Lucky Luke or Lucky is his nickname alias that he has used on the ski forums. It is also a popular comic book. "Lucky Luke, the cowboy known to "shoot faster than his shadow"." The Luke I know ski faster than his shadow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Luke

Lucky : he's like a cat with 9 lives. He's an awesome skier that has accidents (bad luck) but that hasn't slowed him down (car : deer collision, head-on, sign, rock in windshield / ski : ski under buried tree resulting in fracture, main against tree fracture).
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
12345 ... 9