KSL/Aspen/Intrawest sale a done deal as of 7/31/17

20 messages Options
Z Z
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: KSL/Aspen/Intrawest sale a done deal as of 7/31/17

Scroll up two posts
"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Artic Explorer Fridtjof Nansen
Marcski Marcski
Reply |

Z wrote
Scroll up two posts
You expect me to read the jibberish that's posted on here?  
Z Z
Reply |

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/08/21/sold-deer-valley-resort-to-kslsquaw-valley-aspen/

Deer Valley sold to Aspen

No word on if Solitude is part of the package.  If not then Brighton should buy it and become a bigger combined resort since they share a boundary.  I think Brighton is owned by Boyne Resorts.
"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
snoloco snoloco
Reply |

Solitude is not part of the sale.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
marznc marznc
Reply |

In reply to this post by Z
Brighton is not owned by Boyne.  Boyne is the long-term operator.  Brighton was part of the CNL collection that was bought recently by another real estate investment company.  Boyne operates several other ski areas that have the same ownership.  Big Sky is the only ski resort Boyne owns and operates now that Crystal ownership was transferred to the Boyne son who has been GM there for quite a while.
snoloco snoloco
Reply |

Brighton is currently the only Utah ski area on the Max Pass.  Mountain Collective has more of a presence there.

With the Mountain Creek bankruptcy, I could see an outcome where they are sold.  I think both Aspen/KSL and Vail could be interested in it because it would give them a presence in the NYC area to get people on their respective passes.  This is assuming that Aspen/KSL makes their own pass and doesn't stick with Max, Mountain Collective, or both.  Funny thing is that if it were sold to Aspen/KSL which now owns Intrawest, it would go full circle since they were owned by Intrawest in the past.
Z Z
Reply |

The intrawest team will remember the brown winters and advise not to get involved with MC

https://www.skiutah.com/news/authors/pr/deer-valley-resort-to-be-acquired-by

This paints a very confusing picture of Aspen KSL and Imtrawest being a maze of joint ventures and partnerships.  This is more of its own version of a Max Pass than is it really a true competitor to Epic.

That they have yet to name this group is not a good sign.  These things can come apart as fast as they go together.
snoloco snoloco
Reply |

Intrawest could've run Mountain Creek just fine had they not flushed millions of dollars down the toilet on unnecessary lodging when 90+ percent of their guests are day trippers.  Part of the reason they went bankrupt is because of having to spend millions to do upgrades like the new lodge and Sojourn lift that Intrawest should've done, but didn't because they were wasting their time building more hotels and condos.

Mammoth already went full circle because it was a former Intrawest mountain that was sold, and now is back under this new company.  Quite a different animal than Mountain Creek though.
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

How much longer will trying to run a functioning ski area in New Jersey last? 15,20 more years?

We could debate the affects of climate change or its legitimacy but no matter, we would be foolish to believe ski area conglomerates aren't weighing a changing climate into their purchasing decisions.
snoloco snoloco
Reply |

Mountain Creek isn't being sold, but will be operated by Snow Operating Corp which runs many other ski areas (not sure which ones).

I suspect they'll be around for quite a while.  Being close to as many people as they are will keep them alive while other ski areas might fail.