Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Looking for free heel gear

Thehof Thehof
Reply |

In reply to this post by Marcski
Thinking NTN after researching what I can on line. Seems quite expensive for a complete setup. Wish there were more options,but i'am guessing it's still kinda new tech. I'am probably going to rent 75mm to learn on ,and then make a choice end of season. If I see you on hill ,or you see me floundering about, shout some pointers.
Cheers
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

Thehof wrote
Thinking NTN after researching what I can on line. Seems quite expensive for a complete setup. Wish there were more options,but i'am guessing it's still kinda new tech. I'am probably going to rent 75mm to learn on ,and then make a choice end of season. If I see you on hill ,or you see me floundering about, shout some pointers.
Cheers
What size foot are you? I can sell you a complete NTN setup for cheap if you have big feet (29 Mondo boots). And a guy I know on Facebook is selling killer Blizzard Skis (Bonafide or Brahma) with small Outlaw bindings for $425 if you have smaller feet.
K man K man
Reply |

I have quite a few pair of 75 mm bindings and skis I am looking to unload.  I will go through the rack and list this weekend.  
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Thehof Thehof
Reply |

In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
I believe i'am a 29.5 which is close. Which boot and binding are we talking about?
It's been said " if it fits ....."
While using the NTN set up I've read that one can telemark turn and parallel turn. Mix it up all day long. Just wondering how aggressive the parallel turns can get before they pop.
Once again thanks for input
Cheers
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

You can telemark and parallel on 75mm too, mix it up all day long.  Never used NTN not sure what you mean by pop.
"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Thehof Thehof
Reply |

This is my ignorance of tele.
I'am assuming the boot will pop out of binding during very  aggressive parallel turns and that's why one takes a knee.
If that's not the case , I've got a lot more to learn than I thought.
On another note , I picked up a Platty brochure at my usual ski shop tonight. They have 0 tele gear. Anyway I've learned a one hour private tele lesson with rentals is $95. Any of you instructors out there tell us all , what kind of tip goes with that. I don't wanna be that guy.
Cheers
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Sorry if that came off snarky.  And I'm the last person to give any kind of tele instruction.

But that won't stop me. Parallel turns on freeheeled gear aren't that hard to do, I think. You still try to pressure the boot tongue...

Ok I give up. MC to the white courtesy phone.
"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Marcski Marcski
Reply |

In reply to this post by Thehof
Yes, calling MC..... but, if I had to, I'd say the center of gravity or your balance point is a bit different when on tele gear, but NTN gear is IMHO, extremely torsionally stiff. So much so, that I was able to make full on parallel turns in huge (or as Harv likes to say Youuuge!) spring bumps on Superstar. But, think "freeheel" skiing as opposed to telemark. For me, it opened doors in my skiing and allows me the freedom I desire on the hill both mentally and physically.
sig sig
Reply |

In reply to this post by Thehof
last year i was on my own gear preforming a combination of tele and alpine turns. one of the instructors stopped me and told me to keep my shoulders pointing down hill. it helped. he also told me to get off the north face. i never took a lesson which i don't recommend.

i grabbed gear off ebay. Garmont Syner-G 75mm 3 Pin and Karhu Kodiak Telemark Skis with Bindings. $300 for the pair.
hate to invest a lot of cash in something you may not like.