ski racing exps are the priority in the household currently
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MTB disc brakes question

Z
after taking the bike back to the shop becusae the f-ing front brakes are squishy again we are now replacing them with shimano

Avid sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Brakes are one of the only things that I have not had to replace on my rig in well over 10 years of fairly heavy use.  I think they are the Hayes 7s. I've replaced pads numerous times and the rotors once but nothing else.  And they still have great feel.  
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by Z
Coach - you probably could have rebuilt the calipers and/or master cylinder with new seals and piston for a lot less than new Shimano brakes. Basically the rubber parts wear out as the fluid gets old. Avid brakes take DOT fluid (most types of which absorb water), and there is such a TINY amount of fluid in a MTB brake system that it goes bad more quickly than it would in a car.

If you plan to service your Shimano brakes in the future it's very easy to do. There is a shimano kit you need that consists of a cup that screw into the master cylinder, and a syringe. You can bleed and refill both brakes in 15 minutes. Just remember to use Shimano mineral oil.