Mad River Glen Difficulty

20 messages Options
Johnnyonthespot Johnnyonthespot
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Mad River Glen Difficulty

I always thought "Ski it if you can" meant because there was minimal snowmaking.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

I always thought it meant ski it if you can get off work, and it is open.

I think the beauty is it means all those things.
"I'm all about Clouding Out. I'm a teleskier now!" —tBatt
ka2kci ka2kci
Reply |

“Ski it If You Can” refers to one’s skiing ability. Hickory Hill in Warrensburg, is the New York State version. (sorry but it is another NELSAP ski area).  Picture steeps, ungroomed, bumps with many drop offs that leave you speechless.  Skiing all natural bumps is a joy.  Even the intermediate trails can be challenging when bumped up. It has a vibe all it’s own that should not be missed!
Matt
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

There is a bumper sticker about that.
"I'm all about Clouding Out. I'm a teleskier now!" —tBatt
Marcski Marcski
Reply |

MRG is awesome.  For all of the reasons everyone said. Though, I kind of agree with MC..it is hard and unlike any other (operating) ski area in the amount of natural, ungroomed terrain.  Not to mention a real 2000' steep vertical with no run out.

I'd be weary of Holiday crowds and liftlines at the single on President's weekend!
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
I think you guys are answering to a bot. Bazinga
LostCosmonaut LostCosmonaut
Reply |

Thank you for the advice everyone. I think I'll try it and do some of the blues first and see how they treat me.

Also tbh I completely forgot it was president's day weekend (even though I'm a government contractor, I don't have that Monday off for some reason)
riverc0il riverc0il
Reply |

There are two different factors here: specific terrain versus overall difficulty. MRG has a wide range of terrain from mellow bumps to tight woods to cliffs. If you can ski bumps, you can ski most runs on map at MRG no problem. Paradise is the only on map run that is really steep. Paradise and Chute/Liftline (Gazelle Headwall in low snow conditions, too) are the only on map runs with difficult terrain obstacles that need to be negotiated. The rest of the on map terrain isn't super steep or technical and some of it (Periwinkle/Snail area, Lower Antelope) is pretty mellow for pitch... though darn long for the amount of natural snow you need to ski without a bail option.

The question is whether or not you can ski it well top to bottom all day. Unlike most other areas, at MRG you are often skiing natural snow and bumps top to bottom. You aren't skiing groomers +50% of the run to get to and from the good stuff. There is no relief unless you want to ski Catamount to Bunny all day, which isn't why most people go to MRG. One of the many great things about MRG is that it has really good blue square bumps for those that are learning bumps. But the hard part is the volume of bumps you ski in a given run without relief. There is plenty of mellow terrain, but it can still be difficult to ski if you are going top to bottom bumps every run all day.

Off map, things can get a lot more rowdy and technical...
sig sig
Reply |

In reply to this post by Scruffy
Scruffy wrote
How's your bump skiing? There's always a groomer down, but to really enjoy the mountain you should at least be able to ski bumps at some level. Go regardless however, it's a skiing mecca and a right of passage.  Be careful though, it's addictive, be prepared to jones to go back.
exactly . there will be bumps on narrow top to bottom runs. i compare it to jaws at mnt snow. narrow natural snow trail. after this weeks thaw/freeze it will be as hard as a rock. i recommend everyone ski it at yeast once. you don't often ski top to bottom at a mountain. if you get 7 runs off the single chair that is a good day. sugarbush south is one of my favorite mountains.  enjoy
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

If you can ski at Hunter you can ski anything in the world.