Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mount Bohemia

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Wow those pics are nice.  

Where's our teleboy and all his pow pics?  
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
Harvey wrote
Wow those pics are nice.  Where's our teleboy and all his pow pics?  
The mountain opens up the day after Christmas and I’ll be there January 5-7! Got a yurt lined up and ready to party. Pics will be incoming
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan

Here are some pics I got from this past weekend! Powder day yesterday and a fresh dusting of 3 inches on Saturday. Got untracked trails most of the days.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Beautiful pics by the way. That’s a decent amount of snow.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MidwestTeleMan
Those trees look Gore tight!  You rockin' those trees on tele?

Good on ya bro!
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Beautiful pics by the way. That’s a decent amount of snow.
Thank you, the trusty iPhone got er right. and this is very early season snow, you should see it when it gets deep.
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Those trees look Gore tight!  You rockin' those trees on tele?

Good on ya bro!
There are some really tight trees, and there are some REALLY steep sections where you cant stop no matter what. I tried tele on these trees and I'm not at the skill level of it yet but hopefully soon!

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
Harvey wrote
I'm heading up next weekend to get some powder for sure! It's going to rain this Friday so it will pack the base even more.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
My road trip to Crested Butte got redirected to Big Sky.  That made a detour to Boho easy, but I would have had to give up a week in Colorado.  I decided the drive was just too long for what would have been a 2 week trip.  

I bailed on the road trip and made airline reservations.  

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
Milo Maltbie wrote
My road trip to Crested Butte got redirected to Big Sky.  That made a detour to Boho easy, but I would have had to give up a week in Colorado.  I decided the drive was just too long for what would have been a 2 week trip.  

I bailed on the road trip and made airline reservations.  

mm
NOOO!! I'm bummed there won't be any visitors it seems this year. We're getting dumped on right now with some unreal powder. Maybe next year!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Love this one

https://youtu.be/yoxblpCjvgI
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Bohemia in the wheelhouse...

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This post was updated on .
Mount Bohemia TV is my new favorite show-

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
They reported 18 inches from that storm by the way
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Have to listen to that with sound later.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Ran across an interview with the man behind Bohemia TV rather unexpectedly.  Pretty sure I first saw Joey's first video in a Ski Town Throwdown.

http://www.slopefillers.com/joey-wallis/

. . .
Gregg: So how did you go from one-off still images to doing video for the mountain?

Joey: In 2014 I called up Lonie, the president of Bohemia, and told him he needed a great video out there to let the world know how amazing the place is. I said “if we let them know, they will come from all over this country.” The Keweenaw peninsula is a special place, a micro climate of lake effect snow but it also has vertical.

I love to tell people who never been there “if someone sawed off the top 900 vert of Crested Butte and dropped it into the U.P of Mich you would have Bohemia.”

Lonnie agreed to having me make a video for him, which was amazing for I had zero experience at this just a ton of faith and desire.

I was trying to convince my connections in the industry to back me on a video project for years before this but no one believed in me. That year I made the short action video “Midwest Powder Mecca” and it was a great success. Winning the Warren Miller Hometown Hill contest and getting premiered at the beginning of all the major showing of their theater screenings. While filming Midwest Powder Mecca, Lonie approached me about getting some raw footage of the characters of the hill, for a production company out of NY (Peacock Productions) that was interested in possibly doing a reality show on the place.
. . .

https://vimeo.com/90403207
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
That’s very cool, hadn’t seen it before. Thanks Marz
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Brownski wrote
That’s very cool, hadn’t seen it before. Thanks Marz
You're welcome.

Sounds like change started happening at Bohemia in 2014.  A new GM was hired that spring as Bohemia turned into a 4-season recreation destination.  There is a 4-day/3-night yoga retreat in July 2018, $450 covers everything from lodging, and meals to yoga and other outdoor activities.  Never would've guessed!

http://www.mininggazette.com/news/local-news/2014/04/new-gm-joins-mount-bohemia/

https://www.michigan.org/hot-spots/mount-bohemia
"Mount Bohemia is an 1,100 acre adventurer all-inclusive resort on the shore of Lake Lac Labelle, and two miles to Lake Superior. This resort is for the outdoor enthusiasts who love the outdoors and being active all day. The only all-inclusive resort in the Upper Peninsula offering meals, guided tours to kayak, hike, bike or fish - all for one price. Mount Bohemia is surrounded by forests, water and clear skies - nature at its best and is almost as far north as you can get in Michigan near the northern tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula."

Found an article from 2010 that captures the essence of the type of terrain that leads people to make the 6+ hour drive.  I knew it took that long to drive from Milwaukee and Minn/St. Paul, but didn't realize that it's even a long way from where Boyne Mountain is in northern Michigan.  Boyne Mountain is 3-4 hours from Detroit.  Had heard of the U.P as in Upper Peninsula but never looked carefully at a map to see how far west it is compared to Detroit.

http://www.startribune.com/over-the-edge-in-michigan/106761868/
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
In reply to this post by Harvey
You guys know I know Joey right? Also, remember when I entered into the same competition as him.. Well I knew he would win from day one though with my support and rallying the troops.

Great work.. Have you seen his Mount Bohemia TV?

The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com