NTN

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
38 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NTN

Telemark Dave
Just some advice that I'm sure you're already aware of Matt....

Excursions are a very soft boot, softer than the T4's...they also fit very wide (high volume). I've had mine for about 6 years now, and am currently skiing them with a liner from some T-races
I also replaced the tongue with one from a first generation Terminator. A power strap (booster) wraps around the way too high tongue and liner....all this to better drive bigger skis.  

Anyway, all that being said, stock Excursions will drive any of the "midfat" XCD skis like your BC 110s just fine. If you have any intention of fattening up to something like Voile's Charger BC, then the T4 or T3 would be a better match.  Unlessyour you're  a cheap dirtbag like me and enjoy trying to reinvent the wheel (or boot in this case).

TD

"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Hmmm . . . Scarpas always seemed to fit me better, so I'll probably get the T4s . . . Plus I can get a deal on them.

Thanks for the tips!
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
I have "Scarpa" feet too, the T-Races are for lift served... I'll probably replace the Garmonts with T-4's soon.  I've had too do a lot of fit tinkering to get the Excursions volume down..and I still have to continually crank them down as the day progresses..they do tour nicely though, lots of flex at the bellows.  I did a 5+ hr ski tour last weekeend with no issues.  

Td
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Franken-boots.  Sorry for the NTN thread drift.

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
This post was updated on .
Conclusion:

Weight wise the Outlaw doesn’t set any records. The Freedom is lighter, but only by a few ounces (~50 g). The frictionless tour mode renders that extra drag weight undetectable where it matters, on a climb. When it’s time to turn those sticks, it has downright enviable tele performance — smooth, solid, satisfying. About the only reason to not add a pair to your quiver is because you’re satisfied with the duckbill program and you’ll probably die before your boots do (and you have Axls). For everyone else, squirrel away some cash to get with the program next season.

http://www.earnyourturns.com/33715/review-22ds-rebellious-outlaw/

Matt, did yours break/crack where the toe piece bends up from the bottom, as noted in the article?  

Edit:

Also, another article regarding the same cracking toepiece:

http://www.telemarkskier.com/22-designs-outlaw-ntn-binding/
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
People who use Outlaws... do you use a leash or the brakes?  Pros and cons?

Looks like MC uses the brakes ^^ above.

If I go with the brakes should I do it myself or have a shop do it?  If a shop is Sports Page a good option?  Or where to go?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Definitely go with brakes, and have Sports Page install them for you.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
In reply to this post by Harvey
5 minute install if not done in shop. I got them after everyone said do it.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
People who use Outlaws... do you use a leash or the brakes?  Pros and cons?

Looks like MC uses the brakes ^^ above.

If I go with the brakes should I do it myself or have a shop do it?  If a shop is Sports Page a good option?  Or where to go?
Harv, Not into that gear but I can tell you Sports Page is a fantastic shop. Go meet Gary Higgley who owns the place - a class act. However I don't go there for my back country gear - my go to place for that is the Mountaineer in Keene Valley.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I have a love/hate relationship with the brakes.

My latest thinking is that I might take them off all of my skis.

It's nice to not bend down, but they don't retract in, and they sometimes drag or get caught on my pants.
Reply | Threaded
|

BKTele
I went to NTN, outlaw x last year and definitely like having brakes. Sports Page is a great shop. Last year tried to buy new txPro boots late in the season and they could not get them. Bought them from the Fey Brothers(Telemarkdown). Went to Sports Page to get them molded expecting to pay and they did it no charge.   Bought new skis boots and poles for my wife from them this fall and was very happy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

I can't get in or out of the binding but they sure look purty.

Seems like pulling up on the break helps you get in.

I have no idea how to get out. Tips welcome!

Full disclaimer I can't ever get the two skis apart.

If I can get them on, tomorrow is the day.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote

I can't get in or out of the binding but they sure look purty.

Seems like pulling up on the break helps you get in.

I have no idea how to get out. Tips welcome!

Full disclaimer I can't ever get the two skis apart.

If I can get them on, tomorrow is the day.
The brakes definitely make it harder to get in & out.

Hopefully, you got Outlaw X's and not regular Outlaws (which are even harder).

To get in put your ski pole in the touring hole, push the brake tab down with your toe, push forward until your toe is completely in the toe piece, then put heel down.

To get out (I'm sure you've figured this out by now), shove a ski pole into the notch on the orange piece that grabs on to the duckbutt and push straight down.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Yes outlaw x.

Thanks.

T4sting them now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
To get in put your ski pole in the touring hole, push the brake tab down with your toe, push forward until your toe is completely in the toe piece, then put heel down.
This was super helpful thanks!  I feel like the springs have loosened and the whole process is easier.

MC2 5678F589 wrote
To get out (I'm sure you've figured this out by now), shove a ski pole into the notch on the orange piece that grabs on to the duckbutt and push straight down.
Been bending down and pushing on it, I still can't easily get my pole in place.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I really like the NTN. The last two days were pretty firm, and I could really hold an edge.

So much fun.  Somehow it seems easier to weight my back leg.  Which is really the key IMO.

Next stop soft snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I love NTN. It's so good, it kind of feels like I'm cheating.  Question is, is anyone ever going to make a lighter, touring NTN boot?