NY Ski Area Closing Dates (2011)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
50 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NY Ski Mountain Closings (2011)

Snowhunter
I agree with you Harvey.....BUT don't you think that they could do a better job of communicating this?   There is a "government secret" mentality with these guys and their staff.  I encountered it at Gore today.  Take a moment and post an explanation on the websites, allow the staff to be honest with the customers.  Explain the thought process and the variables that come into play.  People are better educated than ever today and they are used to being able to find the info they want/need on the internet instantly.  I'm not necessarily a big fan of this instant gratification age that we live in but I do appreciate it when someone takes the time to explain the decision process.

With Gore it sometimes feels like they're opening because they have to rather than because they want to.  As a skier I'd rather hear some enthusiasm and positive thoughts, e.g. "There's a possibility that we're going to get significant snowfall from a nor-easter on Friday and if so we may be able to remain open later into the season!!!  Please check our website or call the mountain for daily updates."  instead of "We do not know how long we're going to be open this year".  Neither answer provides rock solid information but the first one makes me the customer feel better.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Snowhunter wrote
I agree with you Harvey.....BUT don't you think that they could do a better job of communicating this?
I do.

Adkskier made two points:  ORDA ski hills should communicate better, and they should make a decision on a closing date. The part of adkskier's statement I quoted (and disagreed with) was the second part.

No question communication could be better. IMO this is not limited to Whiteface or Gore.  If you look at the list of NY ski hills in the original post of this thread - I started by going to every website on the list to see what I could learn. Many of the hills listed are actually closed, but make no mention of it on the website.

I got closing information on Windham from Jamesdeluxe who just "knows" that they always close the first weekend in April. This wasn't posted on the website until Tuesday — just five days before closing. And it wasn't easy for me to find. When I posted the question on Windham's Facebook page — our own Fahz answered the question — I got no response from the mountain. Much of the info on the list has come from people who know, not an official source.

I do see the need for improved communication between NY ski mountains and skiers.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
Opps!  I missed that part.  I was not implying that you didn't think so, it was meant as a more general statement.

You're right about all the area's too.  I guess I focused too much on two of the mountains that I ski more and follow more but as you know I ski elsewhere and have experienced similar communication problems.

I hope you're right that by us discussing this on here that people with the authority to make a difference are reading our comments and will make changes in the future.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by Harvey
They're so indecisive that they can't even decide if they'll be open next week....just a few days away. We'll know about Monday some time Sunday afternoon.
Updated - email from Gore indicates closed weekdays next week. So much for The MP memo!
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

ski2moro
In reply to this post by Snowhunter
Gore's website says that they are only open Friday through Sunday, closed April 3-7.  

Do you think they will let weekday passholders ski on the weekend now?
If you are having fun, you are doing it right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
In reply to this post by adkskier
GoreMountain wrote
Several Long April Weekends Ahead!
 - from e-mail

I guess it means they plan to open on April 15, 16,17  
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
You are correct keith, so much for the memo. The storm missing us let them off of the hook for next week.

my thoughts on closing mid week...
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Closings (2011)

adkskier
In reply to this post by adkskier
Plenty of brown showing through  today.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

fahz
To be fair to Windham had posted it on fb earlier, first mention I saw was 3/23
 I just answered for them, They also did a little explaining in on post:
"Windham Mountain ...You are asking a question that often comes our way this time of year when conditions are superb. The simple answer: at this time of year, most of our customers have moved on to other spring pursuits and skiing/riding is not... on their radar screen. So despite the conditions, our historical data demonstrates that each week/weekend from mid March on, we have less and less customers. Therefore we commit to stay open until the first weekend in April if conditions allow. And if the season permits, this practical discipline allows investing in resort improvements for the following season…rather than drain that opportunity by staying open beyond when it is prudent.
Wednesday at 10:29am

Mt Snow has GM Blog and his piece presently shows up on the main Mt Snow page, This is what I think we all would appreciate seeing more of....
http://tinyurl.com/48vkgqj

11/25, 1/28, 4/6 Okemo; 12/03, 3/4, 4/7 Stratton; 12/10 - Skiing Santas, 1/15, 3/10 Whiteface; 12/22, 3/3 Gore; 12/26 Snow Ridge; 12/28 Stratton; 1/20 Mt Sunapee; 1/21 Pico; 2/3 Killington; 2/7, 3/7 Windham; 2/16 Eldora; 2/17, 2/18, 2/20 Winter Park; 2/19 Steamboat; 2/21 Copper; 3/11 Jiminy Peak; 3/17 Bromley; 3/25, 4/8 Belleayre; 3/31 Hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Fahz - my bad - I missed the earlier Windham post.  I wasn't really busting on Windham - just trying to point out that lots of advance notice is not really the norm.

I think all NY mountains should have their thinking boldly emphasized on the home page, by the last week in March.

The Mount Snow blog is fantastic. It basically gives the answer every GM gives - we'll base our April schedule on business and snow cover.

And that last comment by Windham makes a great point:

"You want more midweek days in April, or full speed ahead snowmaking next December? Our skier visit numbers show that you care more about December."

EDIT: I just noticed that on the Mt Snow blog, based on today's turn out - they are going to stay open a week past the date quoted in the Ski Vermont press release. So they picked at date for the release that was essentially tentative, and extended it based on conditions and skier visits. That works for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
What's the latest lift-served day that a NYS mountain has stayed open? I've only been skiing since 2000, and the latest I can remember was April 22 at Belleayre in 2007. I was there two days before.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Around 2000 (I forget which year exactly), Gore and Whiteface both went through the last weekend in April.  Then, WF re-opened the following Saturday, May 1.  It was a big snow year, like this one.  I didn't ski that day at WF, but it's pretty great bragging rights for anyone who did and for the mountain too.  Anybody else remember that, or ski that day?
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Adk Jeff wrote
Around 2000 (I forget which year exactly), Gore and Whiteface both went through the last weekend in April.  Then, WF re-opened the following Saturday, May 1.  It was a big snow year, like this one.
Had to be 2000-01, the northeast season that all others are measured against.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
EDIT:  Here is the corrected press release re-issued by Whiteface:

Still More Skiing and Riding at Whiteface
Pond Skimming Scheduled for Saturday

WILMINGTON, N.Y. --- There’s still plenty of great skiing and riding at Whiteface, in Wilmington, N.Y.  Enjoy a full day on the Olympic mountain for just $57 for adults (20-64) and $47 for teens (13-19) and seniors (65-69).  A single-day lift ticket is also only $34 for juniors (7-12) and $38 for skiers and riders 70 years old and older, and as always children six and under are free.

Whiteface will remain open daily, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m., through Sunday, April 10, and weather and conditions permitting re-open the following weekend, Friday through Sunday, April 15-17. 

This Saturday everyone is invited to participate in the annual pond skimming contest.  Saturday’s pond skimming contest fun begins at noon, outside the Base Lodge and prizes will be given out for distance, best costume, splash and more.  The event is free and registration will take place at the guest services desk from 9-11:30 a.m.

Also, 2011-2012 season pass are still available, beginning at $419 for adults, $299 for juniors and just $30 for skiers or riders six and under. When you purchaseyour season pass for the 2011-12 skiing and riding season, the rest of this season is free.

For more information visit http://www.whiteface.com/mountain/index.php.

There’s also plenty of great skiing and riding at Gore this weekend too.  The “Your Park Never Dies” Rail Rally is slated for Saturday, April 9, and Gore’s pond skimming contest is scheduled for Sunday, April 10.  For more information about this weekend’s events at Gore, as well as season tickets for the 2011-2012 skiing and riding season, log on to http://www.goremountain.com/.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Uncle Mikey told the Post Star that Gore will remain open through Easter weekend.

http://poststar.com/gallery/collection_7b2f9378-5e31-11e0-86db-001cc4c002e0.html?photo=3
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Saw this AFTER my other Post.  Good eye Snowballs.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Would appreciate any local help I can get for the list at the top of this thread... Greek Peak (PDQ, Camp) ... West (Snowballs) ...

The Post Star article makes it sound like Gore issued a guarantee about Easter. I'm sure the actual quote was wrapped in conditional language.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Yea, the 24th is a long way away. BUT, I kinda could see Gore " turning " a lift for Easter sun rise services, even if there's a just ribbon to ski down.

I'm very surprised West is still open. They closed yesterday for the r**n event, but are to reopen today through Sunday at least. Weekday night skiing is reduced to 7 pm. The snow outside my house is bulletproof again, so wait till it softens.

It's kinda weird. By my house, there's lots of large, mature white pine trees and the snow is still deep. Go down the road a bit to where there's less trees and the snow is greatly reduced/almost gone. Head to open farm country and there's been bare ground for awhile.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Here is some insight into how Greek Peak - ends their ski seasons. (I am just a seasons pass holder there). Very late Late season, GP usually opens weekends only. The best way to keep abreast of their ski conditions and operating schedule hours is NOT to go by the condtions report on their website or by their Facebook page... BUT RATHER to call their toll free ski conditions line at 1-800-365-SNOW... this line is updated every day at 5:30 am and each evening, 7 days a week by the head person at GP ski resort, Wes Kreiger. The current recording states that GP will potentially be open on Sat. 4/9 and Sun. 4/10 and to call the recording back later in the week for updated info. Probably on Thurs. or Fri. 4/8 the recording will hopefully confirm that they are opening on Sat. 4/9.

Again the Greek Peak snow conditions toll free phone line is 1-800-365-SNOW
Reply | Threaded
|

Plattekill
We're preping for our strongest and latest closing weekend ever with 90% of our terrain open and northern exposed trees holding at least 2' of snowpack.

We're selling lift tix for $20 and Facebook fans will get in for $10. We're hoping our fans will help us cover our operating costs by buying a burger and a brew or two to show us that it was worth staying open this long.  We'll be very aggressive on pricing everything this weekend. Our shop will even clean and wax and prep your equipment for summer storage for only $10. It will be an exciting weekend for sure. Laszlo