10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NYSB Design (POLL)

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Bored on this rainy day there is a question I am curious about. What do you think about the "new" design (Sept 17) of NYSkiBlog?

Please understand that I'm unlikely to change how the site looks. There are some changes planned (would love to have a "logo" at the top) and the look and functionality of the forum will change. There may be other changes too, but it will be a long time before you see any kind of a real makeover.

I'm creating this poll because I am curious.  Please tell it straight, don't worry about softening harsh opinions.

While this poll is about design, I am interested in function and might make suggested changes there, if cost is minimal or reasonable. If you have input on the functionality of the site I would love to hear that.

Any part EXCEPT THE FORUM, please spare me I know it sucks. 

So vote on design and give any input on design or functions below. One other thing, input by device is welcome... love it on desktop, hate it on my phone, or whatever.
Input on NYSKiBlog Design/Format:
You cannot change your vote after voting.
You have to vote before you can see the results.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: NYSB Design (POLL)

Johnnyonthespot
   I like the idea of calling the main forum "The Woodstove". Many of us come here to vicariously live the dream or to at least see what's going on where we want to be. (The mountains) Rustic pictures and stories from those in the know draw my attention. However content is king. A like button would be cool. That Plattekill pic on the front page really did it for me.

I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
You so fancy, Johnny.

When I think of woodstove, I think of this:

This is a real, public place that I visit.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I think the blog seems a bit outdated in its general aesthetic, but I guess I'd prefer that to some crappy "new" website with popup ads and clickbait articles on the bottom (what unofficialnetworks has become).

My pet peeve with the forum redesign is that I have to turn my phone sideways to see the time & date of the posts.

I like the names of the forums. I'd like to get rid of the political forum (maybe it could be a temporary forum - 6 weeks before Presidential Election to 6 weeks after). I just feel like it has outlived its usefulness.

I'd like to see a new color scheme and the logo idea sounds good - especially if the logo is cool enough for stickers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
MC2 5678F589 wrote
My pet peeve with the forum redesign is that I have to turn my phone sideways to see the time & date of the posts.
The forum is outdated and not truly responsive.  Last year I eliminated several "columns" to make it work better on phone. Sounds like you are glad I didn't eliminate time and date. The bare essentials are just too wide for a phone in portrait.

The forum is what it is until I spend some real money on it next summer.

Thanks for the other non-forum input.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
The forum works fine on chromebooks and windows laptops.  I view it on my iPhone from time-to-time but never post from it, so I don't know.  I can read stuff just fine.  I never really noticed the date/time thing.

It's a pain to embed vids (not that anyone actually watches them).  More modern forums you can just paste the youtube url and it will automatically convert.  The forum does work better with photos than some others I've tried.

I care more about content/function than aesthetics though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I never noticed that you the time doesn't pop up on posts unless you turn the phone sideways to landscape. But who cares, as long as they are posted chronologically?  

I interface with the site from Firefox for PC or from an older 'droid and have no issues with the site or forum's functionability. But, to be honest, I really only read front page and use the forum.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
FYI on iPhone when I read a post then hit back the time of the post I just read remains blue (Un read).    It’s fine on PC windows meaning goes to green when read.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Ok this is weird.  Experienced above all day.  Now it turns to green as it should.  Apparently I was not logged in prior when it stayed blue.  

Logged in to post now it’s changed to green when read as expected.   Must be designed as such.   I learned something.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Harvey wrote
While this poll is about design, I am interested in function and might make suggested changes there, if cost is minimal or reasonable. If you have input on the functionality of the site I would love to hear that.

Any part EXCEPT THE FORUM, please spare me I know it sucks. 

Thanks all. As I said in my original post, don't waste your effort on FORUM feedback.  It's not going to be improved, just replaced.