Philly

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Philly

campgottagopee
We're heading to Philly this weekend to watch the Lakers take on the 76ers. Staying at Loews Hotel near Wells Fargo Center. Only going to be there 2 nights saturday and sunday. Anyone know the area?? Good restaurants / bars that are must hit?

Thanks for any info  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Philly

trackbiker
I think Loews is downtown. Check out the Reading Terminal Market. Check out DiNics for a roast pork sandwich.
Reading Terminal Market
McGillins is a good bar with reasonable prices and 30 beers on tap. It's on an "alley" called Drury Street close to the hotel.McGillins
Rittenhouse Square area has some good bars too. All in walking distance if it's the Loews on Market Street.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
If your down by the the Wells Fargo Center I always get a roast pork with sharp provolone and rabe at Tony Luke's, Chickie and Pete's and Xfinity are right there too - always a good crowd around game time at both. South Street is pretty close by and plenty of cool spots although its been a few years since I've been down there. Trackbiker lists some good spots if you're in town
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
gorgonzola wrote
If your down by the the Wells Fargo Center I always get a roast pork with sharp provolone and rabe at Tony Luke's.
Tony Luke's is good for roast pork. I recommend the chicken italiano with brocolli rabe with a little "gravy" (tomato sauce). Don't get a cheesesteak at Tony Luke's. Pat's or Gino's is a better Philly cheesesteak.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Good deal ---- thanks for the info gents

Looking forward to seeing Lebron hoop it up
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
that's if he plays..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
We're hopeful he does.....
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
trip report?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
YEAH WTF.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Just getting back to the office

Philly is a fun city. Where we stayed was within walking distance of some bangin' restaurants and bars. I was impressed with the city in that the people were very friendly and drivers will actually let you in during heavy traffic. Much different than my NYC experience.

Sunday morning this was our wake-up call. For 2.5 hrs this guy brought up containers from the ground. Obviously the margin of error was very small. When I first heard this thing I thought we were being attacked  To say the least it was very impressive.

The market was cool. Full of fun bars/restaurants/shops/grocery/etc etc. The thing that most impressed me about it is that there were zero chains of any kind.

McGillins was classic!

Being fans of dive bars we had to hit Dirty Frank's --- what a hoot and total dive bar. We also (can't remember the name) wanted to git the bar that is PBR's best customer but we ran out of time. The entrance to Dirty Frank's was a bit lets just say weird. No sign, no windows, just a door.

The bar at our hotel was really cool. Bank and Bourbon. Over 200 kinds of whisky and over 150 bourbons. Was a great stop for a night cap.

The highlight was def the 76'rs vs. Lakers. Lebron was a massive disappointment. At best he brought his D+ game. He must've been sick or something because all he did was stand around both on O and D. In fact the benched him. 76'rs killed 'em, was fun to watch.

You'll have to trust me on this one but seated courtside in this pic is Magic Johnson, Allen Iverson, Carson Wentz, Mike Trout, and Lil Uzi

Thanks again for all the tips. We will def be back to Philly!!    
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
Glad you had a good time. Let me know next time you go to Philly. Maybe we can meet for a cheesesteak and a few beers.
I'm also a fan of dive bars. Met more interesting people and had more fun in dive bars than classy ones.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'll def hit you up

We also hit Bar Philadelphia ---- another cool dive bar

I agree about the people thing ---- the most interesting characters hang out there  ------ cheap beer too!