Plattekill Conditions (2012-2013)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
101 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plattekill Conditions

x10003q
"Plattekill conditions:12-14 inches still snowing at 11:30am. Windblown at top, trees setting up nicely. Laz."
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
I Think this weekend will full open hail at Platty.
Scotty
Reply | Threaded
|

k123
Any word on when the double is opening?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Game on at Plattekill.  All lifts and 100% of terrain tomorrow.  8 inches of new snow today.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
I'm.going as long as my car goes, had some problems driving in the snow today, going to do Rye 17 to Roscoe exit, hope it to to bad of a mountain road that way my old 4 cylinder car does not like my ski hill trips.
Scotty
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
Ill be there tomorrow . Going to be good
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
This was about 10:30.

This was at about 2 pm:

Need I say more?
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
those trees look very fun
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Plattekill was top notch today. All the trails are snow. The woods were decent with lots of untracked to be found. There was a good crowd today which means ski right onto the lift and nobody on the trails.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
First day there this year. Again no sleep last night so only skiied from 1030 to 230pm. Snowy all day all trails were nice except Block buster. Car tires need to be changed so and being exhausted I decided leaving early is what I had to do.
Scotty
Reply | Threaded
|

ashley.
In reply to this post by ScottySkis
Going to be hitting Platty this weekend, what do you think conditions will be like? Doesn't look like any new snow is being forecasted, and every thing we got is 'old' in a sort of way -- are the woods in play? That's my biggest question haha. I heard it was spotty and assuming now that snow is settled and been touched, it's probably a no go. Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
I.didn't.do the.trees.on.Tuesday , the trails were.nice.packed powder with some.tree stems sticking out of natural snow trails.
Scotty
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Trees are skiing.....a light touch is definitely needed.  Another foot would make them perfect.  I was in there Monday and yesterday.  I posted 2 pics of he woods.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I have a tradition of hitting Plattekill on my birthday. At least I did it last year and would like to move ahead establishing that tradition.  Also want to do everything I can to support the hill this season, after last year's very tough year.

I'd love to get a gang of NYSB ticket buying, food eatin beer drinking skiers on Sunday. Anyone up for it?  Regardless I'm going - I haven't been to Roxbury yet this year and somethin about that just aint right.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

jen-k
Hey I was there yesterday which was Tuesday, didn't ski the trees but runs like Freefall and the Plunge were absolute heaven. I skied till the end of the day even with the low-light and because the hill will be closed till Friday (and often with few visitors on Fridays) the weekend should still be great. The one trail I wasn't in love with was Northface, which got bullet proof thanks to man-made snow and grooming...
Reply | Threaded
|

jen-k
Oh and to say Harv, I would love to see and ski with you on Sunday!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
We'll be there again on Saturday....Need to be back for one of my daughter's activities on Sunday.

Skiing a place like Platty...you can really tell how much better natural snow is than man-made.  The natural snow trails were skiing so much better than the snowmaking trails the past few days...both before and after Saturday's snow.  
Reply | Threaded
|

k123
Marcski wrote
We'll be there again on Saturday....Need to be back for one of my daughter's activities on Sunday.

Skiing a place like Platty...you can really tell how much better natural snow is than man-made.  The natural snow trails were skiing so much better than the snowmaking trails the past few days...both before and after Saturday's snow.
In the trees, were there many stumps/rocks/obstacles exposed, and were they avoidable?  I am okay with there being some things poking through as long as I can see them, I just don't feel safe when I am hitting obstacles below the surface on every turn.  I'm not too worried about my base and edge getting a little scratched.

If you can, please post a quick update on the conditions Saturday.  I might be coming up on Sunday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
k123 wrote
Marcski wrote

In the trees, were there many stumps/rocks/obstacles exposed, and were they avoidable?  I am okay with there being some things poking through as long as I can see them, I just don't feel safe when I am hitting obstacles below the surface on every turn.  I'm not too worried about my base and edge getting a little scratched.

If you can, please post a quick update on the conditions Saturday.  I might be coming up on Sunday.
You needed a light touch in some areas..Another foot would definitely make them ski better.  If you're careful...and try and keep them pointed downhill as much as possible...it helps. Although, I did get a ding near my edge that I may have to fix.

I'll try and take some more pics...and make a post..but we need to be back home for dinner plans by 7:30.
Reply | Threaded
|

k123
Marcski wrote
You needed a light touch in some areas..Another foot would definitely make them ski better.  If you're careful...and try and keep them pointed downhill as much as possible...it helps. Although, I did get a ding near my edge that I may have to fix.

I'll try and take some more pics...and make a post..but we need to be back home for dinner plans by 7:30.
Thank you.  Just a quick update is fine, nothing fancy