Plattekill, NY; 3/7/2015

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Plattekill, NY; 3/7/2015

x10003q
Plattekill was the choice for a potentially crowded Catskill weekend with all the flatlanders getting snow during the week. It was beautiful sunny skies and a crisp temp of 14 degrees F.

A view to Bearpen and some soft cord

Northface
Did many high speed laps on Northface, Plunge, Freefall and Blockbuster. There were decent moguls skiers left on Plunge and Blockbuster

Freefall - not groomed overnight
There was a crust on the snow in the woods. I did not see many people venture into the woods.

Full chairs and empty slopes.
There were occasional "liftlines" of 5 chairs or so. I chose correctly to avoid the crowds.

Setting up the open GS race
Clouds and snow showers rolled in after lunch. There was a minor accumulation of snow.

The view to the lodge 1000 feet below.
I was able to get on the last chair at 4:15 right in front of the ski patrol. When I finally went in to get my bag I heard a guy tell his date, " I told you it wasn't an abandoned bag with a bomb in it." They seemed to have been there for a while. The bar was packed and there some events planned (dinner and raffle) to support the ski patrol.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plattekill, NY; 3/7/2015

Zobi1
Great report! I ventured there for first time this week. Even though I'm not a double black skier, I enjoyed the terrain and variation. Of course, the price can't be beat. Great pics!

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
It was a nice weekend indeed.  Saturday was one of the most crowded days of the year, too!   Picked up about 3" overnight and Sunday morning...which IMHO made the conditions even better.  Now, we need some more snow and/or warmer temps so we can get back in the woods again!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Marcski, since you're the NYSBer with by far the most days at Plattekill -- it seems like they're drawing more people this season. True or wishful thinking?
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Jamesdeluxe wrote
Marcski, since you're the NYSBer with by far the most days at Plattekill -- it seems like they're drawing more people this season. True or wishful thinking?
This is a tough question to answer with any specificity, at least from my perspective.  The best way I have to gauge the crowds is by the parking lots and how often they get cars parking down on the road.   I think last season there were 11 such days.  So far this year, I think they are a few shy of that, but there are still a few big weekends to go.  IIRC, there were some bigger crowds last year over President's week. I'm sure the super cold temps kept some people away this year.  So, if I had to guess, its' probably a bit behind last year to date, but it is looking to be a good long, deep spring!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I think they are very close to last years visit numbers and like Marc says have a good shot to exceed them given the forecast.  Lack of Jan or Feb meltdown is a real cost saving too.

Nice pics X, love it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Harvey wrote
Lack of Jan or Feb meltdown is a real cost saving too.
Ski areas in the northeast this season must feel like Cinderella wearing the glass slipper.