Quiver of Two

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
75 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quiver of Two

Rochester Mark
For a fat twintip its hard to beat the Line prophet 90's. They have a sheet of titaniun with diecuts(so they dont stay bent like the old GS skis!) and they are pretty good on the hardpack. I  don't ski tele but I think they would work just fine for a fatter ski. For something not quite as stiff but fat there's the prophet flite which is the same dimension ski but with a poplar core instead of maple and a composite matrix(whatever that is) instead of titanium. A lighter, less stiff and slighty quicker ski than the regular prophet 90's. As an added bonus they are less exspensive also! If you poke around on the net you can find lots of last years flites at pretty good prices and they are the same as this years except for the cover sheet. The only tradeoff to the fatter twintips is on hardpack and ice(although the prophet 90's are pretty good) so for a second ski something a little narrower and a flat tail would certainly be better. My motto is "once you go fat, you never go back"      
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
Had I seen the Icelantic Nomads at that price before I bought the Prophet 100s I might have bought the Nomads. They sound as great at the Prophets.

Now that I own a new pair of Prophet 100s and a pair of Volkl Gotamas which I've only used once, and not in powder.

I bought the Goats for western skiing or just deep eastern powder days. After skiing them one spring day at Gore, with no fresh snow and lots of moguls, I decided it was not a good ski to bash bumps with. The reverse camber makes you hit pretty hard.

I'm thinking the Prophet 100s will be my do-all ski and so I'm wondering if I should sell my Goats in the early part of the season while I can get some money out of them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rochester Mark
PDQ, for a ski thats gonna be used almost exclusivly in the east as Harv said he would I would suggest the P90's only because they will be a bit better on the hard stuff. For skiing all over the country as you do I would certainly go with the P100's but either ski rocks! Fat skis are like an addiction, the fatter you go the fatter you want!
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
This post was updated on .
I already got the 100s. At this point, I can't even imagine buying a ski with less than 100mm underfoot, as long as it has the torsional stiffness to hold edge. I prolly shoulda gotten the 90 as a compliment to the Volkl Gotama, but since I have the 100s already, I'm thinking about selling teh Goats...though if we go to BC this year, I'll bring the Goats w me. If I go to SLC this year, I'll bring them with me...and quite possibly leave them there in Amy's garage, or maybe sell them there.

If someone wants to make an offer on those Gotama's, go ahead. I won't accept anything less than $600. They are last year's and have Marker Jester bindings.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rochester Mark
I am feelin' the love here for the Line Prophet 90s.  Line lists Cunningham's in North Creek as a dealer, but somehow I find it hard to believe.  I did send JMP a note because I always want to spend my money at Gear Source whenever possible.  

I like the romance behind of the Icelantics... carried by Gear Source (or will be very soon), made in America, and the source of so much poetry and prose from Rog the Icelanticskier.

These links were helpful. I read every word of this:

http://www.telemarkski.com/html/how_tele_select_ski.html

And filled out my stats here:

http://www.telemarkski.com/buying_guide.htm
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Harvey44 wrote
And filled out my stats here:

http://www.telemarkski.com/buying_guide.htm
So what did it spit back at you
Reply | Threaded
|

Rochester Mark
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harv, go to the line website (lineski.com) I think and you can read a little about the skis. You should read about the Prophet Flites also. They probably wouldn't be quite as solid on the hardpack as the regular Prophets but a little  less stiff and lighter and slightly more lively I think. Don't go by the weights on the spec charts though as they never seem to be right or are all the same. A place to check out some pretty good prices on ski equipment is Als ski barn. Just do a search for it. They have some good prices and you might be able to get bindings cheap too. I will say I've never dealt with them but I think they have been around for awhile. Another site is telemarkdown.com. I bought my Karhu team 100's (really line prophet 100's) from them and never had a problem. They always seem to have alot of deals going on.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I was looking at these for a pretty light, sweet tele setup:

http://www.factorydirectskis.com/antic-182.html

The price is definitely right.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
I think you should get these

Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
For those interested in real edge hold and to get this thread to do a 180, today I added a pair of 2008 Fischer RC4 World Cup GS 183cm race stock skis. I found them at a swap. It looks like they were used only  a couple of times. They have  a 101/68/87 profile and a FIS legal 27m radius. They came with a 15.5mm plate and Fischer Z17 Freeflex bindings. They also came with a race tune. The price was only $187.00. One of the owners of the store actually spoke to me to make sure I knew what I was buying.

Here is one more reason I need the season to get going (as if I need more reasons).
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Nice deal. I once had an owner of a store do that to me after I bought a seriously stiff and long racing snowboard, and, he was correct in doing that, because I almost killed myself on it one beautiful spring day.

I'd love to find a serious slalom ski, either Fischer, Rossi, or Volkl, at that kind of price to take out on ice hard days. No way I'm paying retail.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
Harv...

I was at The Gear Source and saw the line of Icelantic skis that Jeff is carrying. These skis are really sweet and a great price. I think you should support our local business and buy skis from there.

Also, The Gear Source does binding mounting and ski tuning. They even will do pick-up and drop off service to the hotels.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Powderqueen wrote
Harv...

I was at The Gear Source and saw the line of Icelantic skis that Jeff is carrying. These skis are really sweet and a great price. I think you should support our local business and buy skis from there.
I have to say ... I saw the Icelantics tonight.  As I think SBR mentioned, the Pilgrim is very similar to the Line Prophet 90.  It looked rockin to me.  And I think turning them with T2xs will force me to up my game.

I'm going for two pairs.

Whatever noodly K2s out there replace the World Pistes.

The Pilgrim.

Maybe I should go wider than 90.

But when I look at anything 100mm+ my brain just cannot grasp turning those huge wide boards.

The one really wide one seems like a snowboard to me.

Icelantics on a crappy phone camera
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Go for The Pilgrim. I would not push it on the width thing. You'll get plenty of float from a 90 mm-ish ski and still have the edge-to-edge response that is important for all-round tele versatility on the East Coast. Always remember what Maria Muldaur sang: "It ain't the meat, it's the motion..."

And who knows, maybe length is more important than width. Just to confuse the issue, you might find that this article has some interesting food for thought.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Always remember what Maria Muldaur sang: "It ain't the meat, it's the motion..."
Geez, I thought that was Southside Johnny.  A cover I guess.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Go for The Pilgrim. I would not push it on the width thing. You'll get plenty of float from a 90 mm-ish ski and still have the edge-to-edge response that is important for all-round tele versatility on the East Coast.
This is where I am landing.  Jeff told me to demo the Pilgrim and one other Icelantic when the season starts.  Might as well.

Also I need a compliant tree ski asap.

Skimore... the "hardpacked" trees are a Gore fact of life.  At least they were last year for almost a month. The trees had been pounded, but it was still by far the best skiing, and totally worth doing IMO.  I did beat my K2 Worlds to death.  

But I digress. I really need a ski I can easily bend with and 78mm waist. I'm thinking K2.  

When I rode those World Pistes I felt confident that I could stay with PDQ and Pammy in less than ideal conditions.  Those two progress through the woods at a "pace" that really suits me.

Sick Bird Rider wrote
Very cool article. The pictures are even better. That guy tossing those long boards around.  I like pictures of great oldtime skiers handling long boards. I would love to get permission to post a few of those images.

Hey if you have pics like that post em, or send em to me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Finally reached someone at Inside Edge to talk teles tonight.

The K2 Backup is the closest thing they have to a World Piste.

Anybody know anything about it?  Can't say I'm jazzed about the graphics...

I'll be on a pretty tired setup opening day.

My second string boots - T2s. (T2Xs are in Seattle getting warrantee work.)

And my World's that have been ground down to the screws. Nate at Gear Source did a great tune with what was left.

Hey my poles are solid:

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Quiver of One?

Harvey
Administrator
Tomorrow's demo skis:

...from the Gear Source.