Ski car or ski truck?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
138 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ski car or ski truck?

Peter Minde
On my third Subie. First two were Legacy wagons, now have an Outback wagon.  Running snow tires on all of them.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
On our second Suby Outback.  Also have a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  The suby with snows beats the jeep hands down in snowy conditions.  Plus the suby's have great crash ratings, almost as safe as a Volvo in a crash.  
We use a Yakima box on the roof and have tons of room.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
Pickup, Silverado extended cab with a cap.Half a load of sand in the back with tarp over it, couple of shovels. Plenty of space. Lots of pickups midweek.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
freeheeln wrote
Pickup, Silverado extended cab with a cap.Half a load of sand in the back with tarp over it, couple of shovels. Plenty of space. Lots of pickups midweek.
My man. That's more like it
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

green light
Suby outback for the wife, F150 extended cab for me. Both work well for our lifestyles. When mileage counts, we take the outback. Nothing beats the ride of a pickup.
its a beautiful thing
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Brownski
Yep, I'm down with the truck thing. When I'm not on my sled or ranger I drive a Titan Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
campgottagopee wrote
Yep, I'm down with the truck thing. When I'm not on my sled or ranger I drive a Titan Crew
The Titan is  GREAT truck. Hard core truck guys think you have to go American. My next vehicle is probably going to be Frontier. Hopefully sooner than later.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Ethan Snow wrote
campgottagopee wrote
The Titan is  GREAT truck. Hard core truck guys think you have to go American. My next vehicle is probably going to be Frontier. Hopefully sooner than later.
You should inform your hard core truck guys that the majority of "American" made trucks are built in either Canada or Mexico. The Titan (and Frontiers) are built in Smerna TN USA
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
campgottagopee wrote
The Titan (and Frontiers) are built in Smerna TN USA
That's awesome, I didn't know that. I think Ford trucks are still made in the U.S. tho. Every Nissan vehicle I have driven I love. They just have smooth handling. Hondas are great too, but they don't make trucks. I don't like Subies. They are in general noisy, and handle weird due to poor suspension design. (The Impreza is the one exception)
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
 You can have some fun with these guys.

The first digit in your VIN# is how you can tell. 1 = made in USA, 2 = Canada, 3 = Mexico, and both 4 & 5 = USA as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Just looked. It's a 1. Point taken though. Lots of "foreign" cars built here nowadays
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
1 = made in USA
We're #1! We're #1! USA USA USA!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
campgottagopee wrote
1 = made in USA
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Harvey wrote
campgottagopee wrote
1 = made in USA
Wholly Crap ! Dad's leading a Trump Rally !!!  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make America Great.... Free da Sig !!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Just recently got a "new" truck. I've always had a thing for the 90's era GMC and Chevy trucks that are well kept. I also like the 2014+ models and I wanted to get one, but they are expensive, and there's nothing like a vehicle that you totally own. I wouldn't be posting this on a ski blog except for the fact that this truck was re-furbished to this excellent condition by Mr. Macker himself. The Plattekill operations manager. The man who installed every snow gun on that mountain, and built the double from the ground up with his own hands.

Now I own a piece of his craftsmanship. Truck is a 1994 Chevy K2500 long box, extended cab 4X4, with a 454 in it! Also makes for a great ski vehicle to plow through the snow on those powder days.

Given it's historical value, got to come up with a nickname for it.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I absolutely love my F150 we recently got
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
I had a 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon for 8 years; then a 2003 Legacy wagon for 11 years. Replaced that with a lightly used '05 Outback.  Essentially, I've been driving the same car for 20+ years.  I like trucks, but 99% of the time, I don't need something that big.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Nice! Those big block chevs are pretty durable. Only issue you'll have is brakes. Those things eat rotors for breakfast
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Were I to win the lottery, I'm not buyin'  no stinking' Lamborghini.  I'd rather have one of these:

Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
I wish I was a lug nut salesman and knew a guy at Daimler.....
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.