Skiing on synthetic surfaces, fun or not?

14 messages Options
D.B. Cooper D.B. Cooper
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Skiing on synthetic surfaces, fun or not?

$5M investment for that?  Sounds like a lot of dough.

I wouldn't be interested, but I could see how kids 11-14 would be into it.....time away from parents, etc.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
marznc marznc
Reply |

D.B. Cooper wrote
$5M investment for that?  Sounds like a lot of dough.

I wouldn't be interested, but I could see how kids 11-14 would be into it.....time away from parents, etc.
My impression is that an installation of Snowflex is in the same ballpark, meaning a few million dollars depending on the size and complexity.  My guess is that less prep work is needed to put down the 365 squares.  But I don't really know.

The 5-6 boys that I saw last October on a Sunday morning seemed to be ages 10-16.  Mostly on snowboards.  The teens had clearly been on the slope before.  The youngest was the older brother of the girl in the picture.  Seemed to be his first time.  His parents clearly knew how to board but weren't spending money to do it themselves.
marznc marznc
Reply |

Remembered the other version of a synthetic surface.  Buck Hill in MN installed Neveplast from Italy a few years ago.  Buck Hill has quite a tradition for ski racing.  It was Lindsey Vonn's home hill.  Buck Hill tested Neveplast in 2016 before deciding it was a good fit for what they wanted to set up.  As I remember from the discussion on EpicSki during the testing period, there was a bit of a problem of ski bases overheating initially.  The plastic is not removed from the slopes before it starts snowing.  It ends up underneath the base.

http://www.buckhill.com/artificial-snow/

https://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/this-artificial-slope-lets-you-ski-through-summer-w485223/
JamesP JamesP
Reply |

Maybe we should all work against Global Warming which seems to be affecting Skiing and every other aspect of society, this month an unprecedented world wide heat wave.