Slacking....

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Slacking....

Telemark Dave
...just picked this up yesterday, I'm hoping it will compliment my Stand Up Paddling and Skiing habits.....

I'll post a "Trip" Report later.....or should that be a "Slip" Report?

T.D.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Slacking....

Telemark Dave
Oh yeah, I've invited S.B.R. to come over and slack. I hear he's really good at it.

Just like these guys. Well okay, maybe not that good.

That's from my favorite French Videographer, Seb Montaz.

That's all for now. More later.

T.D.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
When I see TD juggling ice axes without impaling himself, I will head out on the slack thing. Those French are wacky dudes - check out the guy wearing a parka but walking the line in his bare feet.

Do I have to dress like this?

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
This post was updated on .
Sick Bird Rider wrote
When I see TD juggling ice axes without impaling himself, I will head out on the slack thing. Those French are wacky dudes - check out the guy wearing a parka but walking the line in his bare feet.

Do I have to dress like this?

Ok, we now have an official theme song for hinterlandian slacking, just like the late lamented "Hockey night in Canada" T.V. music.

I have spent the afternoon slacklining......albeit, only about 6" off of the ground. After a rather dismal initial start, I have made it 75% of the way across the 15m line (approx. 45' for you Excited States people.)  A couple of times.

Key is as above.  Bare Feet.   Shoes only add another variable to the mix, and remove the Zen like feel of the bare foot.
(I'll admit, "Zen like" is a stretch.....)

More later, hopefully with some action pics.

T.D.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
There was some slacking at SBRHQ today. After our glade management session got rained out, Telemark Dave produced his shiny new slackline and we wandering about the yard looking for suitably spaced trees (and soft landing zones).

This was my first experience with the slackline and I have to say that it is fun, in an aggravating sort of way. As TD relates above, bare feet are key and balance is an issue. As I was operating on about 4 hours of sleep, my focus was definitely off (that's my excuse anyway). I managed about 3 good steps at best. But like bouldering, you keep going back and trying again. And what a great balance workout for skiing! Admittedly, we have a ways to go before we can keep with those French guys or Fujative's friend.

Slacklining is a natural sport for telemarkers, due to all the fiddling required before you actually begin:

TD actually balanced on the line:

TD cheating:
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Sick Bird Rider wrote
TD cheating:
Actually, I was demonstrating the antithesis of "skylining".................

Groundlining.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Have you guys mastered it yet?  I would be inclined to buy one, but weighing in at a whopping 106kilos (for you Hinterlandians) I don't know if the tension is high enough.  Does the box have a weight recommendation?

-Fat America
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Sorry I didn't see your post before, Chris.

ah, yup, the webbing has a tensile strength of 2000lbs.  
I weigh in at about 190, and there was no problem whatsoever tensioning the line tight enough.

It is a very burly, heavy duty rig.

Now back to skiing....

T.D.

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Hmm.. Just noticed that my signature "there is great chaos under heaven and the situation is excellent" has found its way onto googles 2nd page! What the f$&@ does this have to do with slack lining?
(which, btw, I am getting stoked about again, given this early spring!)
So yeah, there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent!

TD