Tales from the Hinterland - an ongoing saga

62 messages Options
tBatt tBatt
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Tales from the Hinterland: Part 6, the week in review.

I knew you had them, just thought you might be interested!
Jamesdeluxe Jamesdeluxe
Reply |

In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Love the pix.
Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

Always enjoy your reports SBR, but this one brought a tear to my eye when I saw the photo of those green 207 Karhu XCD Supremes.  I had the exact same pair back in the day.  Mine died in a collision with a tree at Whiteface and I dumpstered 'em years ago.  Every once in a while, on Wednesday tele night at West Mountain, someone will say "Hey, let's do a retro night where everybody skis their old skinny tele skis and leather boots!"  Which is immediately followed by "On second thought... Nah."

Like the pic of the thermometer.  Too bad I have no idea how cold -19c is.  Which is pretty funny because when I was in fourth grade they told me we'd all be on the metric system by the time I was in college.  And THAT was a long time ago.
Sick Bird Rider Sick Bird Rider
Reply |

Adk Jeff wrote
Always enjoy your reports SBR, but this one brought a tear to my eye when I saw the photo of those green 207 Karhu XCD Supremes.  I had the exact same pair back in the day.  Mine died in a collision with a tree at Whiteface and I dumpstered 'em years ago.  Every once in a while, on Wednesday tele night at West Mountain, someone will say "Hey, let's do a retro night where everybody skis their old skinny tele skis and leather boots!"  Which is immediately followed by "On second thought... Nah."
Thanks, I try to keep things light (but not fluffy). We entertain similar thoughts about the old-school tele experiment and may try using modern boots with the old skis. It is our theory that the boots back then were the weak link in the whole system. Though this could be a recipe for ripping out bindings...

Adk Jeff wrote
Like the pic of the thermometer.  Too bad I have no idea how cold -19c is.  Which is pretty funny because when I was in fourth grade they told me we'd all be on the metric system by the time I was in college.  And THAT was a long time ago.
Ha, after however many years of Metric, most Hinterlandians over 40 still work in both systems. I'm totally down with Metric speed, linear measurement and temperature but still think in acres and pounds for space and weight.

Here is a handy temp converter from your own NOAA (maybe I should put this in my signature!):
http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

-19 C is -2 F. This morning it is -26 C or -15 F. Brrrr.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

This could be my favorite pic of the entire Hinterland Series to date...

Sick Bird Rider wrote
Fresh snow and classic 70s wood skis!
Priceless...

Sick Bird Rider wrote
Race coaches prepare to suck the joy out of young skiers by setting gates on a rare Ontario powder day
Love the kid taking a nap... ah parenthood... "you vil ski and you vil LIKE IT!"

Sick Bird Rider wrote
Lessons have started, time for me to go home!
ROFLMAO...

Sick Bird Rider wrote
Hey, the base lodge is locked! Where am I going to get a latte?
We need to invent a prize for some category that this stuff fits into.

Maybe the Nobel Prize for Hinterlandian Excellence.

This kind of work must be rewarded.
"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

Sick Bird Rider wrote
We entertain similar thoughts about the old-school tele experiment and may try using modern boots with the old skis. It is our theory that the boots back then were the weak link in the whole system. Though this could be a recipe for ripping out bindings...
Old skis, new boots... interesting concept.  If the bindings don't rip out you might just snap the ski in half.  Which actually might not be too great a loss.  Actually that could be a sacrifice to Ullr.

Sick Bird Rider wrote
-19 C is -2 F. This morning it is -26 C or -15 F. Brrrr.
You whimpy Canadians: -25F at my house this morning (Saratoga Springs).
Reply |

Adk Jeff wrote
 Which actually might not be too great a loss.  Actually that could be a sacrifice to Ullr.
Maybe I'll rethink that plan, I would be devastated if I broke those skis. Check out this article from the old Karhu blog, now preserved on Facebook:
XCD History - The Beginning

I didn't really plan it but I now possess a skiable pair of every one of the XCD series designed by Antii Tiitola for Karhu: XCD GT, XCD Comp, XCD Supreme and XCD Extreme.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Sick Bird Rider wrote
I didn't really plan it but I now possess a skiable pair of every one of the XCD series designed by Antii Tiitola for Karhu: XCD GT, XCD Comp, XCD Supreme and XCD Extreme.
I still consider the GT my ski of choice for winter camping or touring the Siamese Ponds Wilderness.

"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

Sick Bird Rider wrote
I'm not sure whether to say that's awesome or that's terrible...
Cool link, will look at it more closely tomorrow...
Thx SBR.
:)
Reply |

TFTH: Part 7, oh yawn, another week of banality

This week we examine the contrasts inherent in the Hinterlandian lifestyle. Those of you who live in the "country" but not that far from the "city" will be able to relate. My days off were a little disrupted due to a work-related trip to the Evil Empire (ie. the big city of Toronto). Before I left on Thursday morning, I did manage to get in a short snowshoe trek with the dog.

I've got these wacky snowshoes, made in Minnesota by Snocraft Inc. in 1953. They RULE for breaking trail in deep snow.

Utah gets first tracks to the outhouse. Fortunately we haven't needed it this winter!

Here's a profile shot of the snowshoes, demonstrating that extreme tip rocker is not so new an idea. I believe the style is  known as "Pickerel Nose." Dude, did you see my new pickerel nose pow skis?

So I'll spare you the pics of being stuck in city traffic, as I'm sure it doesn't look much different form city traffic anywhere. After returning late Friday from the urban sprawl, I needed some serious action to clear my head. On Saturday morning I left the slowshoes at home and headed over to Hidden Bump for some groomer slayage. Conditions were ripe. The snow was perfectly formed, untracked corduroy, the hill was uncrowded, those that were there were watching the kids race and I realized that while my Prophet 100s were not completely unsuitable for the day, perhaps this would be a good time to demo some skinny skis.

I am in love with the Head I-Speed World Cup GS. It was like riding the Bullet Train. Super-fast, stable and smoooooth.

I am not so enamoured with the Elan Waveflex 14. I really wanted to like these skis but they skied like they had no edges. I'll be generous and say that they must have needed a tune, real bad.

So there you have it: from classic woody snowshoes to the dirty city and back to the highest of high-tech alpine equipment in 48 hours. Ahhh, life in the woods.