Teaching a kid to drive?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
115 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Teaching a kid to drive?

JTG4eva!
Hey, when my son was stressing I kind of pointed out the number of complete chuckleheads out there who have their licenses, and he’s better than them.  Took some of the pressure off, which was good for him.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Brownski
Just got the word that junior passed his test today. Yikes
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think this is really cool. We can have a few pops at the best bar in NY and Junior can drive us home.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Harvey wrote
I think this is really cool. We can have a few pops at the best bar in NY and Junior can drive us home.
That did occur to me
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Brownski wrote
Your insurance rates just went way up
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
PeeTex wrote
Brownski wrote
Your insurance rates just went way up
This also occurred to me
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PeeTex
If the overriding goal in life is to keeps costs down, that pretty much rules out children.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
If the overriding goal in life is to keeps costs down, that pretty much rules out children.
Not if thier part of your retirement plan
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski

Just got off the phone with USAA. It’s gonna almost exactly double
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx

you do not have to report jr as a driver..remember the car is insured not the driver..
my buddy the attorney has never reported his kids to the insurance company..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
JasonWx wrote
you do not have to report jr as a driver..remember the car is insured not the driver..
I've heard this before. It makes sense but wonder what happens in the case of an accident?
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
The car is covered, if the car gets damaged.  The thing I wonder about is liability.  What happens if an unreported driver damages someone else’s car, or injures someone else?  Is that covered, too?

My daughter was never in a hurry to get her license.  We didn’t report her until she went off to college, which was far enough away that she wasn’t assigned as a primary driver on any of our vehicles.  Cost me like $100 to add her.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i would assume you have a 1 or 2 million dollar umbrella policy to cover liability.

i didn't report my daughters until they took a car to college too
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PeeTex
You take money from your kids?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
https://www.nytimes.com/1997/02/09/business/when-to-tell-the-insurer-about-a-teen-age-driver.html

NYTimes wrote
Your insurance company probably won't tell you this, but under most circumstances, Junior would be covered. The insurer may send you a nasty letter or even cancel your coverage, but it would still cover your child's accident.

''We would pay the claim,'' said John Walmsley, a spokesman for USAA, an insurance company in San Antonio. ''Our member, for sure, would get a letter saying don't let it happen again.'' Allstate also said it would pay up, as did Nationwide Insurance and State Farm.

Why do insurance companies pay if they don't have to? ''These companies spend a lot on advertising that portrays them as a member of the family,'' said Steven Goldstein of the Insurance Information Institute, a trade group in New York. ''The last thing they want to be seen as is a corporation trying to hurt parents who are struggling to raise teen-agers.''

Image aside, companies generally have a right to penalize fibbers. They can go back and assess the premiums customers should have paid. The insurers can also raise the premium on a new policy, or decline to renew. They can also accuse a policyholder of fraud and refuse to pay, which is more likely after bigger accidents.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Honestly I was counting on him failing the road test a couple times. I wasn’t really prepared for this today. Im definately not ready to set him loose on the road yet. I told him to consider himself a student driver for another month or so at least.
Regarding insurance, not putting him on the policy isn’t an option for a number of reasons. I may adjust coverage on the car that’s already paid off or maybe change carriers. The number the dude quoted me today is a little outrageous.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Hmm, must depend on the state.  In NC, can't even take the driver's test without proof of insurance.  Meaning documentation from the insurance company that includes the name of the teen.  Had a friend who didn't bring the correct documentation and had to go back home to get it.

I've successfully convinced my daughter to not be in a hurry to get her license.  She did Driver's Ed and got a learner's permit during sophomore year in high school.  May be sophomore year in college before she takes the driver's test for a license.  Freshmen aren't allow to have a car on campus where she is going to college.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Brownski wrote
Honestly I was counting on him failing the road test a couple times. I wasn’t really prepared for this today. Im definately not ready to set him loose on the road yet. I told him to consider himself a student driver for another month or so at least.
Regarding insurance, not putting him on the policy isn’t an option for a number of reasons. I may adjust coverage on the car that’s already paid off or maybe change carriers. The number the dude quoted me today is a little outrageous.
shop around, the increase shouldn't be outrageous..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Aarrrggh ! I sucked at this !

Hmmm maybe cuz i started out with these comments " Remember YOU are driving a DEATH MACHINE ", if you get into an accident we WILL lose our home ”  These words were uttered to me when i was taught by my dad 😈😈
This  my first attempt was with my daughter  behind the school  in the parking lot .
So It was a stick shift Jetta , not our huge automatic Dodge Monaco .

Well that was the first  mistake I MADE , she is sensitive and kind like her mother . I explained the shift  4 on the floor pattern and how to work the clutch dynamics in conjunction with braking .. Poor kid was so nervous she started in 2 nd and damn car was bucking like a pissed off bull.

This was ultimately resolved WHEN her mom took her out in the Monaco with auto , ps , pb etc and she didi fine ........I failed !!!!!

We both laff  about it today and remember when i told her to power shift to pass a amish buggy during an evning practice run and she ended up pulling into a gas staion on the extreme left side of the road to avoid doing it. 😆😱.Her younger  brother when asked about who he wanted to teach him said  MOM. 😉😉😉😉.

Patience is NOT one of my strengths !

Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I’ve been letting my daughter drive on dirt roads now for a few years. Some people would probably judge me for letting a ten year old drive my car but I figured it’s better to start getting her comfortable at a young age.

I have gotten some funny looks from people passing by.