classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
37 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Artist Formerly Known As "Xanadu Meadowlands"

Peter Minde
raisingarizona wrote
I could see this sort of thing working in a place like Park City where you have young people training for WC or the Olympics. You’d have to have a moguls course and a terrain park though.

But the Meadowlands? Maybe they can survive on one time visitors that check it out as a novelty but other than that there probably isn’t much of a market. I mean, the idea of driving there to ski indoors on a humid summer day just sounds depressing.
This sort of thing might not be practical for WC / Olympic skiers.  Not enough vert and those guys are skiing in South America during summer.

Right up the road from one of the gyms I work out of.  No, I'm not going.  Hope not too much taxpayer money went in to this.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
marznc wrote
Would you be interested in what I learned stopping by Powder Ridge last fall?  Have a few pics.  Was interesting to compare to Liberty, where I skied last summer for an hour . . . in 90 degree heat.
I’d be interested. I’ve never tried out any of these summer places but I’d be curious what it’s really like

I've ridden the one in Dubai...   It's like being a refrigerator..  and a bit boring..
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
dmc_hunter wrote
I've ridden the one in Dubai...   It's like being a refrigerator..  and a bit boring..
When you were in Dubai, did most of the others on snow look like beginners, intermediates, or folks who may take ski vacations at big mountains in Europe or N. America?  Locals or travelers?
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
marznc wrote
dmc_hunter wrote
When you were in Dubai, did most of the others on snow look like beginners, intermediates, or folks who may take ski vacations at big mountains in Europe or N. America?  Locals or travelers?
9 years ago - on my way to snowboard in Kashmir India.

It seemed very tourist'y
We were by far the best skiers and riders in the place - we had big backcountry boards.   My spiltboard caused some commotion - people had never seen one.  I got bored almost immediately... Strict Muslim drinking laws kept us from doing a run and a couple shots to liven things up..
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
dmc_hunter wrote

9 years ago - on my way to snowboard in Kashmir India.

I remember you writing about that trip. You should put up some of those pictures --- they were bangin'
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
Peter Minde wrote
raisingarizona wrote
I could see this sort of thing working in a place like Park City where you have young people training for WC or the Olympics. You’d have to have a moguls course and a terrain park though.

But the Meadowlands? Maybe they can survive on one time visitors that check it out as a novelty but other than that there probably isn’t much of a market. I mean, the idea of driving there to ski indoors on a humid summer day just sounds depressing.
This sort of thing might not be practical for WC / Olympic skiers.  Not enough vert and those guys are skiing in South America during summer.

Right up the road from one of the gyms I work out of.  No, I'm not going.  Hope not too much taxpayer money went in to this.
Well yeah but I was thinking of one designed for their purposes. You could at least have park hits.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Thanks D. Enjoyed em again , awesome adventure !
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by dmc_hunter
Yeah, thanks D ---- those are the ones I remember ----- what I time you guys must have had!

Great shots!
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
campgottagopee wrote
Yeah, thanks D ---- those are the ones I remember ----- what I time you guys must have had!

Great shots!
No problemo...

That trip redefined me as a snowboarder.  I don't snowboard nearly as much after that trip..
The Himalayas are no joke..  :)  Shit changes people....
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Looks like the marketing is starting for Big SNOW.  There is an online article in Powder this month.  Sounds like the vertical may be 800 ft.

https://www.powder.com/stories/news/massive-indoor-ski-area-coming-to-new-jersey/

". . .
Open 365 days a year, Big SNOW America will stand at an impressive 16-stories tall, complete with an 800-foot slope, a chairlift, small terrain park, and ski school area. The 180,000-square-foot facility will also be home to everything else you'll find at your typical resort, like a chalet, various shops, restaurants, and an après lounge. A not-so-typical, but winter-related nonetheless, ice climbing wall will even be constructed inside.

The facility that will house Big SNOW America, dubbed American Dream, is centrally located in the Tri-State area and is only a 4.5-mile drive from Manhattan. Developed by the Triple Five Group, the company behind Minnesota's Mall of America, the over 1-million-square-foot American Dream center will also boast a theme park, water park, high-end shopping and dining, and a hotel, among other features.
. . .

"I think we are going to get a mix of clientele. We plan to have a lot of existing skiers and snowboarders who want to come for the novelty of it, especially during the summer when there aren’t any other opportunities to get on snow," says Reynolds [Hugh Reynolds, VP Snow Operating].

However, attracting current skiers and riders is not Big SNOW America's primary focus.

"Our goal is to introduce people who might not make it to the mountains otherwise to the fun of skiing and snowboarding. We want to increase participation in the sport locally and globally," says Reynolds. "We love the sport. We love the industry and we want to see it continue to grow and flourish. We think Big SNOW America will hold a big role in doing so."

Since Big SNOW America anticipates most guests to be new to the sport, the facility will feature a Terrain Based Learning Program ski school. Many ski instructors at nearby Mountain Creek Resort, which operates their ski school as a Terrain Based Learning center, plan to work at Big SNOW America during the off-season.
. . ."
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The way I read that 800 feet is the length of the trail not the vert?  Isn't a story about 10 feet?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
harv you are correct..the darn building would have to be as tall as the Freedom Tower..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
The way I read that 800 feet is the length of the trail not the vert?  Isn't a story about 10 feet?
Oops, that's what I get for posting quickly while in the middle of traveling.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Not in NJ, but I found out because of this thread . . .

There will be an outdoor ski slope (plastic) on top of a brand new green energy power plant in Copenhagen in Denmark by the end of 2018.  The vertical is on the order of 80 meters, so at least 200 ft vertical.  That's about the vertical at some ski areas in the midwest that have been around for years.  The slope will be part of a rooftop park with hiking trails and climbing walls.  There are other plans for rooftop slopes in Europe.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/rooftop-ski-slope-on-danish-power-plant/

https://inhabitat.com/denmark-fires-up-its-copenhill-power-plant-with-ski-slopes-set-to-open-next-year/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/new-artificial-ski-slope-to-open-on-roof-of-copenhagen-power-plant/
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In Dubai they use the ski slope to cool the mall that it's attached to.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
This thread had me at Newark Staycation.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"